Switching for comfort

A place for the South East Region - covering Surrey, South London, Sussex and Kent.

Moderator: TimM

TimM
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF VVC MY2000

Switching for comfort

Post by TimM » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:13 pm

Now that my daughter has swanned off to Spain for a bit I've been sneakily using her TF to go to work (don't tell her though)having finally fixed her broken aerial from MGFest. Thought I'd have trouble getting the part which was the aerial fitting itself but Trident got it for me straight away with no problems.

I've been getting to grips with the differences between the TF and the F by switching between them and I've concluded that the ride on the F is much more comfortable than the TF. The TF is very firm and skittish and wanders more than the F but my F has a tendency to have wheel wobble at higher speed ,which the TF doesn't, which makes the TF easier to drive at higher speeds. My VVC engine seems a little smoother than the 135 and it does pull slighlty better at higher revs . All in all the power difference though is not really noticeable at ordinary speeds. I also seem to sit a bit higher in the TF but that could be down to my older Fs slightly saggy drivers seat. Otherwise both are very similar and both are great fun to drive. I've driven a 2005MY car which is the best of both worlds suspension wise and was probably more comfortable than both. Still waiting for a test drive in an LE500 but I'm hoping the ride comfort will be similar to the 2005MY TF.

Anyone else have any thoughts on whether they prefer the TF to the F ?

Tim Morris
President MGCC MGF Register
FasTForward Editor; Safety Fast columnist; South East Regional Representative

2000 MGF VVC ; 1981 MGBGT LE; 2006 MG ZR

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: Switching for comfort

Post by colintf » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:50 pm

never had the pleasure of driving an F (on the road).

Did a back to back test of a TF135 and a TF160 in 2003 - but that's another debate - and it was the 160 I went for! it was part of an MG day down at Bicton in Devon. MG Rover Longbridge were there, as were Staddons (who are MG dealers again now - reopening event next weekend!). It was one of those test what ever you fancy taking for a spin days :thumbsu: It was pre 260 days though :(

On another MG test related topic, I think I set the record for the most miles put on a SMG Rover(Bristol Dealer) demo car in a 10 hour period (8am-6pm) - I took a TF160 out for a day, and took it down into the depths of Cornwall and back - 500 miles ;) But didn't buy from them!

8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/