MGTF 2001 steptronic issues

A place for the South East Region - covering Surrey, South London, Sussex and Kent.

Moderator: TimM

cjlawes
MGF Register Region: South East

MGTF 2001 steptronic issues

Post by cjlawes » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:36 pm

Hi, I'm new here and just registered since becoming the new owner of MGTF. I've brought this as a project now I'm getting near retirement wanting something to tinker with. The car drove to MOT station after being stored in garage for nearly two years fairly well and after a few bits passed the MOT with some advisories about sub-frames looking rusty but not perforated. Hopefully I will attend to those later. On the way back it stuck in first gear and wont change up, it goes into reverse and drive but wont change even if I try manual mode or sports and paddles. Checked fluid that's OK no light on dash or message. Incidentally does the gearbox warning light illuminate when ignition first turned on because it doesn't on this one bulb maybe? Had to call breakdown out as it was smelling hot whilst trying to get home in first gear. He said its an electrical fault and their garage wouldn't be able to get part so its back on my drive now. Fortunately the previous owner left me a workshop manual so I can see where it all is but if possible some pointers that may help would be appreciated. Cheers Chris
P.S Is there anyone in this area that does repairs on these now if I cant find the fault?

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: MGTF 2001 steptronic issues

Post by talkingcars » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:06 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Whereabouts are you in the south east.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com