Late alternator into an early car?

A place for the South East Region - covering Surrey, South London, Sussex and Kent.

Moderator: TimM

MG Steve
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Late alternator into an early car?

Post by MG Steve » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am

Hi. I haven't been on here for a long time as my F has run very well!
It is an early car and the alternator has seized solid. I've had the car sitting for a while until I have found a replacement. I've now got an alternator but its a later version with the different connection on the rear.
My questions are: Can I use this later one and if I can, what are the correct connections for the wires?
The original unit had a large crack in the casing so not worth doing anything with other than throwing away. I've already removed the crank pulley to clean the fused rubber out of the groves.
Thanks in advance.

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Re: Late alternator into an early car?

Post by Kasper » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:50 pm

yeah, in the end this is a part that dies on ever MGF or TF. Have been told that technically it should be possible. you have to changer the wiring connector and the later one has an extra connection that is not on the early cars and can be left out. But I did the expensive path and bought an original oldie. So haven't done it by myself.
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Late alternator into an early car?

Post by talkingcars » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:41 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum

There is no problem running the later alternator on the older car.

The extra wire is connected to the MEMS3 ecu and isn't essential for the alternator to work.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com