Thomas Day Fleet

A place for the South East Region - covering Surrey, South London, Sussex and Kent.

Moderator: TimM

ianhunter
MGF Register Region: South East

Thomas Day Fleet

Post by ianhunter » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:12 pm

Was having 'oggy' fitted with a low level alarm sensor yesterday and was informed that Thomas Day in Fleet has gone under, does anyone know if this is true or not as they have only recently been appointed as an MG franchise.
Now that Swain (Pain) and Jones Farnham don't service MG/Rovers any more (there work and mechanic have passed to NJC Aldershot) we are poorly represented in NE Hants. However I have used NJC for a service and other bits and have found them to be first class.
Still a shame though about Thomas Day if it turns out to be true :( :( :(
TF 160 'oggy of the ampshire ogs' / ZR 160 (sadly now deceased) hooray now resurrected by Dave at Church Square Autos.

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: Thomas Day Fleet

Post by colintf » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:37 pm

copied a post over on two-sixties.com : -

Thomas Day has just closed in Fleet and I know several V8 owners went there. Equally Swain and Jones in Farnham has closed to MG/Rover business but a company called NJC Autotech has taken on three of their staff, amongst them the Spares Manager, Nigel Butler. Two of the Mechanics, Eric and Karl, are trained on MG/Rover products and T4.
More importantly the principal of NJC, Nick, has a V8 which he bought from SMC so he is one of us.
He is enthusiastic about developing specific products and services for V8's, hoping to take over Thomas Day's data bank and possibly equipment, he thus has an emotional investment in our own chosen classic.
Nick already offers a 10% discount on work and I have no doubt if Tim or Phil called him, that might even be increased.
I make these comments because my car has been worked on by NJC and I feel happy to recommend them and Nick to those in the SE Area.

NJC Autotech
Elms Road
Aldershot
Hants
GU11 1LH
Tel: 01252 331810
Fax: 01252 331825
Services and diagnostic (using T4 MG Rover tools).
Main dealer train mechanics.
Pre-mot inspection.
Accident repair centre.
Free courtesy car.

8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

TimM
Model of Car: MGF VVC MY2000

Post by TimM » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:07 pm

Yes its true - we were talking to Church Square Autos David Koskela at our meet last week and he confirms this as he has dealings with them. I wonder how many more will hit the buffers before long. Trident are still an X Part Service Centre in Ottershaw and we have our own MG Rover mechanic Peter who trades as Car Serve to cater for the Woking/ North Surrey area.

Tim Morris
President MGCC MGF Register
FasTForward Editor; Safety Fast columnist; South East Regional Representative

2000 MGF VVC ; 1981 MGBGT LE; 2006 MG ZR

ianhunter

Post by ianhunter » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:46 am

Makes you wonder as not even the new MG franchise was enough to save them, this can't bode well for future sales unless the brand is marketed more and maybe some new tin in the not too distant future. Fingers crossed :thumbsu:
TF 160 'oggy of the ampshire ogs' / ZR 160 (sadly now deceased) hooray now resurrected by Dave at Church Square Autos.

TimM
Model of Car: MGF VVC MY2000

Post by TimM » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:31 pm

With new car sales plummeting down by 49% I think we'll see a lot more smaller dealerships disappear despite the MG Franchise being attached. Having spoken to Patrick down at Sterling in Eastbourne his sector - servicing/repairs - is booming and he has a long waiting list which probably meanw people are looking after their cars more with intention to keep them longer.

Tim Morris
President MGCC MGF Register
FasTForward Editor; Safety Fast columnist; South East Regional Representative

2000 MGF VVC ; 1981 MGBGT LE; 2006 MG ZR