Coolant leak

A place for the South East Region - covering Surrey, South London, Sussex and Kent.

Moderator: TimM

btx5mg
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF VVC, ZT Turbo.

Coolant leak

Post by btx5mg » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi all was out and about in my F today enjoying the sun with fellow F/TF. when i got home i noticed a small damp patch on my drive at the front of the car, to my horror it was anti freeze. Jacked up the car, both hose"s look ok . But it looks damp on the bottom of the rad, its more of a slight seap then a full blown leak. Will have to try to get it on a ramp. But it looks like a new rad, i have seen them on the MGOC site for £97, that sounds good. Looks as if my New S/steel lExhuast will now be put back. Still hope to go to Abingdon on the 3rd of may, But might have to use my ZT for that. Pete :cry:
Pete

TimM
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: MGF VVC MY2000

Re: Coolant leak

Post by TimM » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:53 pm

Sorry to hear that . Trouble with the F rad is that its so hard to see where any leak is coming from but it sounds like you'll need a new one. Bit of radweld might do a temporary fix or you could try what Dave A did on the way to Scotland last year. The Picture shows him studying the mysterious green liquid underneath the car on the top of Hardknott Pass. Dave's solution was fill up some bottles of water and drive 200 miles to Stirling anyway topping up every few miles as you go ! He made it but had to have a new Rad fittied. He and Michelle were saved by our Scottish Rep Alan Dunlop who lent him his MGB for a week thus proving that MG is the "marque of friendship".

Tim Morris
President MGCC MGF Register
FasTForward Editor; Safety Fast columnist; South East Regional Representative

2000 MGF VVC ; 1981 MGBGT LE; 2006 MG ZR

btx5mg
Model of Car: MGF VVC, ZT Turbo.

Re: Coolant leak

Post by btx5mg » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:01 am

I was looking on ebay found loads of new aluminium rads for MGF, they range from £40-£110, they all have the same number GRD927, SIZE 630X295X22. but some look slightly different on the top left hand side, so not sure which one to order. I have emailed the sells and they say that it should be ok. But iam not sure about the slight difference, any help on this one Cheers Pete
Pete