A mechanic to note?

A place for the South East Region - covering Surrey, South London, Sussex and Kent.

Moderator: TimM

Pete C
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGTF LE 500

A mechanic to note?

Post by Pete C » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:51 pm

(With apologies to Ralph)
Had my cam belt, tensioner and water pump done today, by this chap....
Graham Edwards
Crown Woods Service station
21 - 23 Crown Woods Way
Eltham
SE9 2 NL
020 8294 5946

Booked some time ago, he phoned me last night to confirm appointment.
When I collected it tonight, he showed me the old parts without having to be asked. The belt looked fine, as did the tensioner, but the water pump showed def. signs of leaking. Oh, and while he was waiting for me to arrive, he cleaned the interior! Nice bloke........25 years experience with Seargent & Collins (Bromley)
£310.........maybe not the cheapest, but I'm happy. Done 25 miles since I picked it up, and the car is sweet :)
Pete C

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Re: A mechanic to note?

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:41 am

Nice to know there are some success stories out there rather than sad ones.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

TimM
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: MGF VVC MY2000

Post by TimM » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:50 am

Always pleased to see some recommendations to add to Ralph or Patrick in the South East who always give a "Sterling Executive" service.
I did a bit of a round robin through the regions a year os so ago for FasTforward asking for recomendations on mechanics and garages - I wonder if it would be another worthwhile exercise now with new people on the board ?

Tim Morris
President MGCC MGF Register
FasTForward Editor; Safety Fast columnist; South East Regional Representative

2000 MGF VVC ; 1981 MGBGT LE; 2006 MG ZR

Pete C

Post by Pete C » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:19 am

TimM wrote:Always pleased to see some recommendations to add to Ralph or Patrick in the South East who always give a "Sterling Executive" service.
I did a bit of a round robin through the regions a year os so ago for FasTforward asking for recomendations on mechanics and garages - I wonder if it would be another worthwhile exercise now with new people on the board ?
It might be a good idea. How about putting the list on here as a sticky?
Pete C

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:50 pm

Could be dodgey.

Take Apple for example, I have heard good things about them, but just lately a particular horror story.

It only takes one person to get bad service and we could be seen as recommending a bad garage. It would need careful wording if we did, after all, how are we qualified to recommend any garage (because we know the owner ?) we can only go on recommendations, and then, how many make a good garage ?
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Pete C

Post by Pete C » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:17 pm

adrianclifford wrote:Could be dodgey.

Take Apple for example, I have heard good things about them, but just lately a particular horror story.

It only takes one person to get bad service and we could be seen as recommending a bad garage. It would need careful wording if we did, after all, how are we qualified to recommend any garage (because we know the owner ?) we can only go on recommendations, and then, how many make a good garage ?
Good point. Obviously, any list would need a disclamer for the registers safety. Perhaps a star rating? At the end of the day, most if not all garages make mistakes. After all, we're all human. It's a general level of service/competence we are looking for?
Pete C

TimM
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: MGF VVC MY2000

Post by TimM » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:23 am

We don't tend to make reccomendations as such as the MGF register - just bring to attention certain garages or mechanics that our members know of and may have used. We tend to steer clear of that for the reasons that Adrian stated.

I won't keep a sticky on this as we don't really want lots of them - details have been published of garages in the South East previously in FTF - I may find them again and put a list up on the website if I remember !

Tim Morris
President MGCC MGF Register
FasTForward Editor; Safety Fast columnist; South East Regional Representative

2000 MGF VVC ; 1981 MGBGT LE; 2006 MG ZR