MGF20: Return to Geneva motor show 9-16th March 2015

A listing of up and coming events and latest register news.

Moderator: Committee Members

redbeard57
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 85th LE, MGF We

MGF20: Return to Geneva motor show 9-16th March 2015

Post by redbeard57 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:16 am

Following the original route to Geneva, we are taking a trip to the Show in March 2015. The plan in to go over for a week, Wednesday to Wednesday, leaving from Dover and driving down to Geneva, having 2 days in the region, one day at the show and a second day having time to explore the area, before returning home. Numbers are needed initially and confirmed booking required by the end of August to be able to book hotels and ferries for the event. Please indicate if you would like to take part in this run, the actual date will be confirmed this week.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Re: MGF20 Return to the Geneva motor show 2015

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:39 am

Hi Simon, I'll be there, maybe Dawn too but if not a couple of us from Essex can share.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:16 am

sounds good Simon.

Do you have the exact dates involved?

Thanks
8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

redbeard57
Regional Rep

Post by redbeard57 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:23 am

The exact date will be confirmed this week….the show runs from 5th to 15th March 2015. (I want to go the last day and buy up any bargains the exhibitors don't want to take home :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!)

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:34 pm

What, a one careful owner ex display model MG3 (Russ Swift) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:18 pm

Our plans were for a Swiss trip in Celebration of my X0th birthday in February. The "F" finds the road conditions better in March (otherwise it is the 1.8 Astra) so we are proposing to slip the trip to include Geneve. We are past "Whistle Stop Tours" and too many miles in a day. Initial plans are now for Eurotunnel to Hotel De La Paix Reims (central near the Restaurants and Bars with their own underground Car Park) and two weeks at our regular Hotel (for 16 years) at Lauterbrunnen in the Valley below Wengen taking a couple of nights at a Lakeside Hotel near Geneve (on the Swiss side) to visit the Show.
We will not be buying a Car next year although our "F" was ordered at the 2000 show when the Steptronic was introduced. 25% less than UK price including Swiss MWST and no UK VAT. viz. All the Goodies came Free.
I did however buy a Austin 1300 Countryman (Estate ) at the 1969 Belgrade Show as I had written off my 1100 two door. £540 (cost price) No Jugoslav Tax as I had a Tax Free Status as a Resident Tech Rep with the Jugoslav Airforce.
Hope to see you at the Show.
Geoff F.

RonandJoan
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF

Post by RonandJoan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:20 pm

We are interested in going on this one - but would it mean winter tyres / chains for that time of the year?

Ron
Ron Kemp

MGTF135 in Oceana Blue; Toyota Yaris in......Blue.

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:26 pm

RonandJoan wrote:We are interested in going on this one - but would it mean winter tyres / chains for that time of the year?

Ron

That coukd be a maybe, I guess, depending on the conditions and which countries you travel through

To be honest with you, If I was using an F or TF during the winter, I would have winter tyres on even in the uk
Below 7 degC normal tyres are not so good and winter tyres ate much much better

My daily drive MG has winter tyres :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

dwkmgf
Model of Car: 01 Steptronic

Post by dwkmgf » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:51 am

Winter tyres and chains were not needed 5 years ago - so don't see why they would be needed this time. Didn't need them for the the run to Belgium for TF10 either. By the way - interested in going, need to know dates so I can book the gearbox in for a service!
Dave
2001 Tahiti Blue Freestyle Steptronic - Racing Vintage Stripes, Racing Vintage Interior, K&N 57i, TT Mk 4 Exhaust, AP Racing Brakes, HEP Braided Brake Hoses

dwkmgf

Post by dwkmgf » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:54 am

Forgot to add - you really don't want to do the last weekend. Kieron and I flew out a couple of years ago for the last Saturday, couldn't get anywhere near anything, the halls were absolutely packed and most of the good stuff ie the concepts had been taken away. midweek is best I think.
Dave
2001 Tahiti Blue Freestyle Steptronic - Racing Vintage Stripes, Racing Vintage Interior, K&N 57i, TT Mk 4 Exhaust, AP Racing Brakes, HEP Braided Brake Hoses

redbeard57
Regional Rep

Post by redbeard57 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:30 pm

We can now confirm provisional dates! We are hoping to leave Dover on 9th March and return on 16th. This would mean Motor Show on Thursday 12th. Plan is to stay down for an extra day this time so 2 days at Motor Show would be possible for keen participants.
Also, in response to the tyre query we drove over the Mountains in very deep snow when we were there last time and did not have winter tyres or chains and no problems.
Once the itinerary is planned we will get it to you. We need firm ideas of numbers so that best deals can be done with hotels but do not expect commitment until itinerary is out.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:48 pm

We'll be there Simon. Let's get the MGF's 20th year off to a great start.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:14 am

There is not a Legal requirement to have Winter Tyres unless you are on a Swiss plate.
It is Mandatory to carry Chains in Snow when there is a Road Sign showing a Wheel with chains.
It is an offence to cause an obstruction if you get stuck and block the road without them.
As the route to Geneve is all Autoroute/Autobahn and then City, it is unlikely to require Winter tyres however if you plan to go off Autobahn for any distance then you should seriously consider them as the weather is unpredictable. A set of 15in alloys are very cheap these days.
After Geneve 2010, we went across country to Interlaken via Gstaad when the road was impassable without winter tyres however in March this year on the same road there was NO snow in the valleys and 20 Degs giving more of a problem with braking distance on hot Winters.
Summer tyres do need to have a good tread of at least 5-6 mm. Snow chains cannot be used on 16in wheels.
When living in Switzerland (and other countries before) we have had two sets of wheels so now both our Astra 1.8 and "F" are fitted with M&S tyres and we do carry chains and a tow rope.
To Note. Always carry your ID and Car Documents with a photo Driving License. For the first time ever I did not have them on one day this year and got stopped for the first time. Hands Up - Guilty - Fax copies to the Police Station.
Geoff F.

gwp
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Post by gwp » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:28 pm

Dates are in the diary - have to see if I can get a pass now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MGF 1.8 VVC - 52mm Alloy Throttle Body & K&N 57i Filter

redbeard57
Regional Rep

Post by redbeard57 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:17 pm

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Dover ... m1!6e4!3e0

proposed route down to the show and back….

dwkmgf

Post by dwkmgf » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:04 pm

So a different route then. Could be interesting. Been talking to Kieron and we are interested - but so are a lot of the old Essex Roadsters. could have a race down and back!!
Dave

Kieron Lacey
Model of Car: 1996 VVC

Post by Kieron Lacey » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:33 pm

Do you still have the details from the MGF15 run we did Dave? That was good, and didn't take a week... and is in keeping with the launch run.
Essex Roadsters are taking a well earned rest, see Essex MGF for local meets

We may have TWO meetings each month
First Thursday of the month at the Dick Turpin on the A127
and
Third Thursday of the month at the Halfway House on the A127.

redbeard57
Regional Rep

Post by redbeard57 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:19 pm

We do still have the original route and details but the idea is to take a sightly different route home to that going down, the extra time is to allow a bit longer down there than we had last time as we felt that it was a case of we came, we saw and we got back on the road again….Anyone that wishes to do the race down and race back option is welcome to cut the event short, but we thought that the extra day would make the event a bit more enjoyable, a bit less of a rush and coming back up through the Beaujolais vineyards who knows what we will find!! Just remember that the bonnet space that will be packed with Speckled Hen on the outbound trip will almost certainly be empy on the return :D :D :D

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:21 pm

Don't like OSH :(

redbeard57
Regional Rep

Post by redbeard57 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:16 pm

you can't say that as an Mg'er!!….we were going to ask for sponsorship!!! :D :D