MGF20 loudest exhaust competition

A listing of up and coming events and latest register news.

Moderator: Committee Members

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

MGF20 loudest exhaust competition

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:24 pm

Always popular at previous birthdays and the MGFest series of events that we have run is the competition to find who's the noisiest.

During the day in the arena we will be holding this again and we will be recording all cars that enter so even if you don't have a really loud exhaust you can still take part and find out how loud your car is. It will be gentle, we don't expect cars to rev to the maximum, I think we're limiting it to 4000rpm.

All details will be recorded and kept for reference, so if somebody asks on here how loud is ...........exhaust as I'm thinking of buying one, we can offer some data. Ancillaries such as a sports cat, a 4-2-1 manifold, a re-map or anything else will also be noted as they could influence the outcome somewhat. We ask for cars to take part in this as it will give us information about certain types of exhaust so please come and give it a go and help our quest for information to help our members.

All cars must be in MoT condition so no whipping off the cat for the weekend, thus will be checked.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Paul Storey
MGF Register Region: East Midlands

Re: MGF20 loudest exhaust competition

Post by Paul Storey » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:01 pm

My car's already had it's cat removed (by PO) yet passed its MOT . . . . so where does it stand in this . . . . is it in or out ? (With a four-pipe straight through exhaust It makes one heck of a racket)

Steffi
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: TF 135 2005 BRG

Post by Steffi » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:20 pm

Sounds interesting Adrian, will give it a try :-)
Maybe before and after the remap to see if there is a difference?
Steffi

MG TF 135 MY 2005, BRG and black leather with seat heating, glas rear window Eibach-springs, 4-pot brake

http://mgf-mgtf-stammtisch-koeln.jimdo.com

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:06 pm

Paul, I'm afraid, to keep a level playing field, we require all cars to have cats fitted. We could test it outside of the competition to aid our data research.

Steffi, that would be an interesting experiment, go for it.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Paul Storey

Post by Paul Storey » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:48 pm

To exclude a car when it passed the MOT without a cat isn't particularly reasonable, or logical.
By definition my car must have been in "MOT condition" otherwise it wouldn't have passed the test. The MOT doesn't specifically demand a car has a cat does it ? It demands a car passes the emissions test . . not the same thing; and my car passed. (For example the MOT doesn't demand electric cars have a cat).
If the rules are "a level playing field" there wouldn't be a competition . . on a "level playing field" all cars would be the same (otherwise the field wouldn't be level) . . they would all be equally noisy (or quiet). . . . hence no need for a competition.
I must be missing something (apart from a cat on my exhaust).

dwkmgf
Model of Car: 01 Steptronic

Post by dwkmgf » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:07 pm

Have to agree with you Paul. The only level playing field is as it came out of the factory - which will only produce the quietest loud exhaust competition ever.
Dave
2001 Tahiti Blue Freestyle Steptronic - Racing Vintage Stripes, Racing Vintage Interior, K&N 57i, TT Mk 4 Exhaust, AP Racing Brakes, HEP Braided Brake Hoses

Paul Storey

Post by Paul Storey » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:21 pm

Should we form a breakaway Noisiest Exhaust Group dwkmgf ? "The Peoples Democratic Noisiest Exhaust Freedom Fighters" , it would exclude Essex members (except you).
Rule 1 . . there are no rules
Rule 2 . . see rule 1

Who knows where this might lead ! . . . . the Who's Got The Tattyist Soft-Top Cup . . . . the My Head-Gaskets Leaking More Than Yours Shield ?
Endless possibilities.

dwkmgf
Model of Car: 01 Steptronic

Post by dwkmgf » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:52 pm

Paul Storey wrote:Should we form a breakaway Noisiest Exhaust Group dwkmgf ? "The Peoples Democratic Noisiest Exhaust Freedom Fighters" , it would exclude Essex members (except you).
Rule 1 . . there are no rules
Rule 2 . . see rule 1

Who knows where this might lead ! . . . . the Who's Got The Tattyist Soft-Top Cup . . . . the My Head-Gaskets Leaking More Than Yours Shield ?
Endless possibilities.
To many people making to many rules. Like your ideas tho'
Dave
2001 Tahiti Blue Freestyle Steptronic - Racing Vintage Stripes, Racing Vintage Interior, K&N 57i, TT Mk 4 Exhaust, AP Racing Brakes, HEP Braided Brake Hoses

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:27 pm

Then I apologise for the confusion as I believed it had to be fitted as it was from construction.

From April 2012 the MoT testing manual States : A catalytic converter missing where one was fitted as standard as a reason for rejection only on those vehicles that qualify for a full cat emissions test.

So let's not ruin the fun of the event, it's not a serious competition, it's all about having a little fun.

Paul Storey

Post by Paul Storey » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:35 am

My response is tongue-in cheek-Adrian, as you say it's only a bit of fun & nobody's going to lose sleep over it.
However, how about a "play-off" . . the winner of The Official Noisiest Exhaust -v- The Peoples Democratic Noisiest Exhaust Freedom Fighters ?
Ear muffs at twenty paces, winner takes all ?

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Loudest exhaust, Your a lot of louts :lol:
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Dave_T
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF160 Shot Silk

Post by Dave_T » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:27 pm

How about 2 categories with & without cat?
Let's all compete that way? :thumbsu:
Dave T.

05 MY Shot Silk. TF160 (& silly grin whilst driving it!)
MG Car Club Director and MGF Register Committee member

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:35 pm

Dave_T wrote:How about 2 categories with & without cat?
Let's all compete that way? :thumbsu:
Fine by me but there may not be many withouts and Tim only has prizes for one car as far as I know, but..............................I could knock up a little something.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:58 pm

I have a standard exhaust and cat - I won't be entering.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

goody33
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 95 1.8 MPI in BRG

Post by goody33 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:05 pm

This went through my head when I checked back into this thread :D
Attachments
anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg
1995 MGF 1.8mpi in British Racing Green 000258