MG 85th at last been offered for sale

A listing of up and coming events and latest register news.

Moderator: Committee Members

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

MG 85th at last been offered for sale

Post by Keith Williams » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:10 pm

Looks like today, MG Motors have at last offered the 85th as a car to buy ............

http://www.mgmotor.co.uk/news-events/ne ... -in-style/

Only 50 to be made, so shall we run a book on how long it will take them to sell these as we should have done with the LE500? :D
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

John Ponting
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: MG Motor TF LE500 20

Re: MG 85th at last been offered for sale

Post by John Ponting » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:17 pm

There was an LE85 at MGFIM09 last weekend

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_K9F7bB7ONag/Srkbz ... G_3529.JPG

Keith Williams

Post by Keith Williams » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:34 pm

John Ponting wrote:There was an LE85 at MGFIM09 last weekend
I noticed that in the pictures from the event John - only 49 to go then? :D

Obviously the MG Motors web site is taking a long time to be updated with their latest information.

John W
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGTF 80th Anniversar

Post by John W » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:11 pm

Keith Williams wrote:

Obviously the MG Motors web site is taking a long time to be updated with their latest information.
Adrian has purchased number 50, and i have seen another member on our web site who also has a 85th
MG 80th Anniversary TF 1420 of 1600, Colour Starlight Silver

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:19 pm

"i have seen another member on our web site who also has a 85th"

That would be us then! :) Picked ours up Monday of last week!
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Keith Williams

Post by Keith Williams » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:21 pm

Think I am going to have to change my guess of how fast 50 will sell at this rate, within an hour all of them will be sold or have been sold :lol:

nigelandjo
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:32 pm

Keith Williams wrote:Think I am going to have to change my guess of how fast 50 will sell at this rate, within an hour all of them will be sold or have been sold :lol:

Yes our dealer is waiting for the delivery of a second Intense Cassis 85th for another customer, so that's a further one sold :)
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:55 am

John W wrote:
Keith Williams wrote:

Adrian has purchased number 50, and i have seen another member on our web site who also has a 85th
Sorry John, I need to correct you there, since we last met I have seen a delivered 85LE and I have decided to cancel my order. I have a number of quality issues that I was not happy with and certain replacemnt parts not being available has given me serious doubts for the long term future of the quality and appearance of the car. I have discussed this with the owners that I know of, so they are aware of this and I have wished tham all the luck with thier cars for the future. It was not a decision taken lightly either. Certain quality issues were passed to me as far back as July 22nd (before I ordered #50/50) I was told they would not affect a September delivery, the car is still not ready due to the same issues still being there.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

John W
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGTF 80th Anniversar

Post by John W » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:57 pm

Adrian,
I am SO sorry to see the news of your cancellation of the 85th :( , you were so over the moon with ALL of the info you had collected about the '50'th build you had ordered, but i do remember you saying at the 'Wheel meet again' car show you were disapointed that delivery would not take place in time for you to take it to Holland, a lot must have happend in such a short time.
John W
MG 80th Anniversary TF 1420 of 1600, Colour Starlight Silver

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:04 pm

True John, a lot happened in 72 hours, however I was content (although frustrated) to wait to have the car perfect, but looking at the long term as I saw it, I could not feel that it was to be. I don't want to go in to the issues here, none of it is personal to anybody or MG but things I was told by Sales and Marketing really concerned me to the point that I felt I could not let a beautiful 80LE go for for a car I had no faith in.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

JEA55

Post by JEA55 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:07 pm

I don't know how much the 85th's are but assume around £16k - well SMC Iver Heath are already offering one at £13,650 - doesn't bode well for their future value!!

colintf
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:16 pm

JEA55 wrote:I don't know how much the 85th's are but assume around £16k - well SMC Iver Heath are already offering one at £13,650 - doesn't bode well for their future value!!
sounds like £15650 - £2000 scrap allowance to me!

8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

John Ponting

Post by John Ponting » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:10 pm

You're hearing doesn't let you down Colin

http://www.smc-cars.com/UsedCars/view/2 ... -SCRAPPAGE

Steve C
Model of Car: LE500

Post by Steve C » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:25 pm

Adrian,

Have you Considered a LE500?

Adrian has purchased number 50, and i have seen another member on our web site who also has a 85th[/quote]

Sorry John, I need to correct you there, since we last met I have seen a delivered 85LE and I have decided to cancel my order. I have a number of quality issues that I was not happy with and certain replacemnt parts not being available has given me serious doubts for the long term future of the quality and appearance of the car. I have discussed this with the owners that I know of, so they are aware of this and I have wished tham all the luck with thier cars for the future. It was not a decision taken lightly either. Certain quality issues were passed to me as far back as July 22nd (before I ordered #50/50) I was told they would not affect a September delivery, the car is still not ready due to the same issues still being there.[/quote]
Intense Blue LE500 Number 283

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi Steve, to answer in honesty, no, from when I first saw the interior, it's too black. I could change it (as the 85LE is an improvement in silver grey with a silver centre console), but I have said I wouldn't change the outward appearance of an LE so I would defeat my own case. I am also concerned about the paint, from many I have seen, the slightest stone chip leaves the paint in a poor state, I know of at least one grey car that the owner has sent back as large areas of the paint chip off when you would not expect it to.

Also, why buy a poor quality car at £15,000 + when I have an anniversary TF that is comparable to what I can buy new ? There is no colour in the range that is as good as Pearl Black either, coupled with the grenadine it's a great combination.

Don't get me wrong, I had ordered the 85LE and paid the deposit but the product was an enormous disappointment and MG themselves didn't help with vague promises and an inability to deliver, even though, by their own admission they knew of a problem in July and it's still there now.

JEA55

Post by JEA55 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:06 pm

I must say we agree with you Adrian - I can't see why you would spend £15k+ on a car that hasn't changed from when MG closed, also I would have thought it would mostly be MG enthusiasts that will buy the new MG's as when you compare them to other sports cars on the market you can get more "kit" for your money, and I think a lot of new car buyers want all the bells and whistles that MG doesn't have, as the car hasn't moved forward.

And now being nosey - what was the problem/quality issue with the 85th?

Jim & Deb

Art

Post by Art » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:46 pm

I don't think you will find anyone more of a MG enthusiast than Adrian !
By pure fluke as is usual when looking for something completely different I came across the Rover/MG/Mini price list from 1st March 2001, interesting reading,
1.6i £15,500
1.8i £16,980
1.8VVC £19.495
1.8i Steptronic £17,995
Trophy 160 £20,995
all on the the road prices
a couple of options to consider
Anti Lock brakes on 1.6 and 1.8 £550 ( standard on Steptronic and VVC and not available on Trophy )
Hard Top £1,125

redbeard57
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 85th LE, MGF We

Post by redbeard57 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:03 pm

As the owner of the 85th that went to MGFIM, I suppose that I need to add a few words. The car drives far better than the 2000 Steptronic F that I have been driving (and for that matter will continue to drive because I am keeping it for the present time) and the suspension package that has been put on the car really makes a difference to the performance. There is a little niggle over a gauge that is not working properly, although I have been informed by my dealer that the part is now on the desk awaiting me to take the car down to have it fitted. The issue with the stripes may not be as serious as it appeared at first. I used a microfibre cloth to apply and remove wax which MAY have lost some micofibres which MAY have attached themselves to some surplus adhesive that is present at some the edges of the stripes which gives the appearance of some of the stripes and other decals lifting. On close inspection these fibres can be carefully removed and the decal is undamaged where this has been done. I have been lead to understand that the decals are supplied by the same manufacturer and fitted in the same way that those on the Mini are applied and they appear to work fine on a long term basis in so far as I havent noticed any shabby looking Minis locally. I have been assurered that this is all the problem is and that if I use an alternative type of cloth for polishing the vehicle this will not happen again, which might suggest that I will go out and wax and polish it on a regular basis!! :lol: :lol: The chinagraph pencil marks that were left inside the bonnet and boot on the vehicle should not have been there, but it does indicate the care and attention to detail that was taken at the inspection stage to point out these very minor faults. We pushed MG very hard to ensure that the vehicle was delivered in time to enable us to take it to MGFIM and to be fair with a lot of help from Adrian and the dealer we were able to take delivery in time to get it to the event. I agree that the faults should not have been there but we did push very hard and were able to take delivery almost 3 weeks before the official launch of the cars on the MG website, and the faults marked are of a very very minor nature and would not be noticeable without the aid of the chinagraph marks.
So overall I am more than happy to have purchased the vehicle and am enjoying the driving :D :D

John Ponting

Post by John Ponting » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:21 pm

Maguairs supply a very good polishing cloth as part of their car care kit - no threads escape and the instant detailer helps maintain that fresh look between polishes.

btw I thought your car looked good in Holland.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:10 pm

I have since been told by MG that you must use a lint free polishing cloth.

I know Simon and Julie love their car, I've driven it faster than I did with an 85th mule in Longbridge and it's a great drive but I've made my decision now and I believe the new owner of #50 is in France.

I still have concerns over paint finish, inspection and lack of spare wheels as there are only 200 wheels made for 50 cars (48 + 2 prototypes).