2010 Arctic Circle Run!! 5th February (Friday)

A listing of up and coming events and latest register news.

Moderator: Committee Members

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Re: 2010 Arctic Circle Run!! 5th February (Friday)

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:03 pm

Are all you (SM & CL) starters planning on calling in to Thurrock services for one big meet up (the only chance) ?

I know it will extend your night (especially those of you travelling from a distance, us Thurrock starters will be finished), what about it, it's once a year after all :D
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

MeetwithDamien
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by MeetwithDamien » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:07 pm

I for one will be stopping at Thurrock as per last year...... makes perfect sence and as you said before a great photo opportunty..

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:19 pm

The official start times will be
2200 Thurrock
2230 South Mimms
2300 Chertsey
2340 Clacketts

But flexibility will be needed for the above times due to road conditions etc.

There will be F Register representative at Thurrock & South Mimms. Sign on is required at least 30 minutes before anticipated start times. Due to the lack of cars starting at Clacketts & no F Register member that side of the M25, no marshal will be at that start but the intention is for a car to over take the convoy and slip off into the services to pick up the two cars and then rejoin the convoy unless those starting from Clacketts wish to start with the crowd at Thurrock and spend longer in the group?

Thurrock & South Mimms will be in contact by phone to allow South Mimms to move and join the convoy as it passes.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

sparky135
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MG TF Spark

Post by sparky135 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:22 pm

adrianclifford wrote:Are all you (SM & CL) starters planning on calling in to Thurrock services for one big meet up (the only chance) ?

I know it will extend your night (especially those of you travelling from a distance, us Thurrock starters will be finished), what about it, it's once a year after all :D
We'll definitely be stopping. I'll be ready for some caffeine by then. :lol:

Besides it'll be the first opportunity this year to catch up with a few people assuming you can recognise them under several layers of clothing and woolly hats.

Not worried about the late night. I've deliberately kept Saturday clear to sleep it off. :lol:

:thumbsu:
John
MGF Register South Coast Regional Rep
south.coast@mgfregister.org
www.scrr.org.uk

Ally
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by Ally » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:35 pm

Just to confirm that I will be on the run - have decided that a squeaky alternator belt isn't life threatening, so am back in the game..

Ally
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by Ally » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:37 pm

adrianclifford wrote:As it worked so well last year, I'll liaise with the other starting points. As Keith says, we estimate to leave Thurrock at 22.00 (last year we postponed the start due to the M25 either closed or badly held up in three places). For those first there, please park up away from the main building as it gets crowded and people may damage cars if they have to squeeze past, as we will probably be standing around in the cold, crazy I know, but it happens. Thurrock is a major interchange for Wallace Arnold/Shearing coaches, so don't think it will be quiet, it won't and there will probably be dozens of large lorries parked too, they do not have an isolated area unlike most service areas but they do keep themselves to themselves as much as possible because they are usually sleeping.

I will use John (Sparky) if you have a hands free phone and Tim as the other start co-ordinators, I will tell them (as per last year) our distance from S.Mimms and Clacketts, they will relay the info to the group so you are not standing outside for too long.

Tim knows the score as Clacketts worked very well last year, John you will have a problem with your group so we need to talk. You will find it will take a long time to get the group to the M25 because of the size of the roundabout and the traffic lights. We will slow down around J23 to give you the best chance of flowing on to join us. Is your mobile number still the same as our contact list ?

Last year we managed the whole 117.1 miles without a single stop, quite amazing actually. I'm sure Keith is correct, Andy will lead, it easy to see Scarlet so nobody overtakes the lead car. There is no harm in pulling alongside others, everybody travelling at nearly 70 on the inside lane looks like a very long queue of cars and you will be surprised how much you slow down towards the back, but keep it legal and safe please.

Lastly, don't think we will all get through the Dartford Tunnel together, as we will all follow each other through the tolls, although they will be free at that time of the night you still have to wait for the barriers to raise. The best advice I can give is to spread out on the approach, you will all filter to (probably) two lanes, as at that time of the night there is usually only one bore (of the two) open. It makes for a better sound but we will be spread out unless we work at it. Don't forget other road users as it's a free for all after the barriers to get in to the two available lanes, shortly after the tunnel you will need to get to the left lane (those that are exiting at Thurrock), follow signs for Services if you are going to stop for a farewell chat (like last year), I don't know if the whole group are going to peel off at the Services (they did last year) if so, it's a great (and the only) opportunity to get everybody together for a picture :thumbsu: .

By the way, unless there are any last minute panics at work, I have the evening off, so I will be there. I'll pop in to the JG site this evening and pay.
Rather thought this had already been sorted out..

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:39 pm

Just to add to Keith's words, if you do decide to join from the south and you don't fancy Clackett's Lane, you could drive to the M25 and then on to Thurrock to join the main group. Leave with the pack at 22.00 (or thereabouts) and, when you get back to where you joined, leave there and you've done your lap, how about that ?

Thurrock and S.Mimms will be in regular telephone contact, so John will know where we are. We will also use two way radio's set to channel 3 (channel 4 will be the back-up in case of interference).
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

TimM
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: MGF VVC MY2000

Post by TimM » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:37 pm

As there's a big gap between South Mimms and Clacketts and the Clacketts group would only have a short distance with the pack there will be another smaller start point at Junction 11 (Chertsey turn off). There is a lay by on St Peters Way with instant access to the M25 suitable for a holding position. Meet there on the A317 St Peters Way from Addlestone towards the Motorway before 11pm. If all goes to plan the group should reach there shortly after 11pm

Reiterating Start Times

2200 Thurrock
2230 South Mimms
2300 Chertsey Junc 11
2330 Clacketts

Tim Morris
President MGCC MGF Register
FasTForward Editor; Safety Fast columnist; South East Regional Representative

2000 MGF VVC ; 1981 MGBGT LE; 2006 MG ZR

dwkmgf
Model of Car: 01 Steptronic

Post by dwkmgf » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:50 pm

sparky135 wrote:
We'll definitely be stopping. I'll be ready for some caffeine by then. :lol:

:thumbsu:
Don't bank on any refreshments - last year the services were closed by the time we got back. Went to McDonalds for a Burger and Coffee. Bringing a flask this year
Dave
2001 Tahiti Blue Freestyle Steptronic - Racing Vintage Stripes, Racing Vintage Interior, K&N 57i, TT Mk 4 Exhaust, AP Racing Brakes, HEP Braided Brake Hoses

John W
Model of Car: MGTF 80th Anniversar

Post by John W » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:38 am

John W wrote:
MGF Girl wrote:Hi All

Heard through the grape vine down in Hastings bout this run, found you lot and here's my first post! Would love to join if thats ok, all for an excellent cause as well.

I bet its been mentioned loads but if someone could point me in the right direction for signing up and donating I'd be grateful as i'll be another definite on the list.

Also is there anyone traveling up from Hastings way or A21?

Thanks Emily
Hi Emily,
I have sent you a PM
Look forward to hearing from you, as 3 of us will be coming from Bexhill!
Hello Emily
Thanks for the PM reply, the petrol station it is for meeting you at approx 20.15,
ANYONE else from the Bexhill,Battle,St Leonards and Hastings area? that would like to meet up with the 4 of us?
MG 80th Anniversary TF 1420 of 1600, Colour Starlight Silver

John W

Post by John W » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:11 pm

HELP, HELP,
There is a very atractive lady called Tanya, WHO just loves MG's, lives in Bexhill, and would like to go on this run! BUT she needs someone to take her, any takers, please PM me and I will put you in touch.

Jonathan Tully
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: MGF Steptronic ('01)

Post by Jonathan Tully » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:11 pm

Please add me to South Mimms :thumbsu:
ImageImageImage
Ex(e) MGF Register Regional Representative - East Anglia

sparky135

Post by sparky135 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:21 pm

Jonathan Tully wrote:Please add me to South Mimms :thumbsu:
'Ere, 'ave you paid. :x :yeah:

:lol:

Added:

List so far:

Confirmed So far

1. Pendle Lass.............Paid JG / location..?

Clacketts Lane:

1. theguv ..................Paid JG

Thurrock:

1. Scarlet Fever ........Paid JG
2. TF Karl
3. Gotenks1321
4. MoonManMike ....... Paid JG
5. MGF_Matt..............Paid JG
6. The prometheus
7. M19CPB.................Paid JG
8. Dab06...................Paid JG
9. JohnW1.................Paid JG
10. Colonel Camel........Paid JG
11. Zipimini.................Paid JG
12. Dwkmgf................Paid JG
13. Adrian..................Paid JG
14. SkunkyMunkey3000
15. JamesTF .............Paid JG
16. Orkhid + Tui..........Paid JG
17. 1984....................Paid JG
18. Emgeezedess.........Paid JG
19. Chrisg 1................Paid JG
20. Reaper.................Paid JG
21. Col' Custard - Dave & Rhonda
22. Art ......................Paid JG
23. MGSteveT - Steve & Angela
24. Live the Dream.......Paid JG
25. Silver Dreamrac
26. Old MGF ( Eric ) .....Paid JG
27. Adz TF .................Paid JG
28. BigChrisoioi.............Paid JG
29. RichardLake ...........Paid JG
30. SamLuck................Paid JG
31. Lucasdude..............Paid JG
32. Leemans ...............Paid JG
33. Disgusted ..............Paid JG
34. MGF Girl ...............Paid JG
35. Giles H.................Paid JG

South Mimms:

1. MeetwithDamien ..... Paid JG
2. Sparky 135............ Paid JG (Possibly 2 cars)
3. Dressur ..................Paid JG
4. Puds121..................Paid JG
5. Deano ....................Paid JG
6. Bunjamin..................Paid JG
7. Rosco88..................Paid JG
8. NickTG....................Paid JG
9. Lillypad..................Paid JG
10. Jlee - Johnathon & joyce ? Donate at event
11. Nobby MGF..............Paid JG
12. Shinto....................Paid JG
13. MurrayG.................Paid JG
14. Sezjane..................Donate at event
15. Onecruelbagel.... " MX 5 "
16. Rycuda ..................Paid JG
17. Andie B ..................Paid JG
18. Lyonstf10 ...............Donate at event
19. Chris - Mrs Sparky ..... Paid JG
20. Jon Tully.........

Thats 58 Confirmed in taking part in the 2010

To Be Confirmed As Yet / Start Point :

1. NeilSurreyLabs ......... Paid JG "Passenger Request"
2. Nertman
3. Loaky
4. Thatone1967
5. Valkryie
6. JohnFLA + Happy Chappy
7. PimpJay9
8. ColinTF
John
www.scrr.org.uk

Jonathan Tully
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: MGF Steptronic ('01)

Post by Jonathan Tully » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:41 pm

sparky135 wrote:
Jonathan Tully wrote:Please add me to South Mimms :thumbsu:
'Ere, 'ave you paid. :x :yeah:

:lol:
Cheques in the post ;) :P :lol:

Only joking..... Paypal Just Giving (from my account not the clubs btw :shutup: )
ImageImageImage
Ex(e) MGF Register Regional Representative - East Anglia

dwkmgf
Model of Car: 01 Steptronic

Post by dwkmgf » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Just checked the just giving page and see that we are at £858.

Well I am happy to say that have have rounded up £150 at work, ringing loose change out of as many scrooges as possible - so we have passed the target

Well done everybody for hitting the target so quickly :thumbsu: :thumbsu:
Dave
2001 Tahiti Blue Freestyle Steptronic - Racing Vintage Stripes, Racing Vintage Interior, K&N 57i, TT Mk 4 Exhaust, AP Racing Brakes, HEP Braided Brake Hoses

John W

Post by John W » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:52 pm

John W wrote:HELP, HELP,
There is a very atractive lady called Tanya, WHO just loves MG's, lives in Bexhill, and would like to go on this run! BUT she needs someone to take her, any takers, please PM me and I will put you in touch.
Just had a text from Tanya, its now too late to make her plans to go, HOWEVER she would like to try for the MGOC Cobweb spin to the IBM centre at Winchester on the 7th March, any ladies or gentlemen that could make her dreams come true?

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:41 pm

dwkmgf wrote:Just checked the just giving page and see that we are at £858.

Well I am happy to say that have have rounded up £150 at work, ringing loose change out of as many scrooges as possible - so we have passed the target

Well done everybody for hitting the target so quickly :thumbsu: :thumbsu:
Well done Dave, great job everybody. We haven't even made the main charity event yet either, good stuff. Are you putting it in via the Just Giving site to get the extra money ?

Scarlet Fever
Model of Car: 1996 MPi F

Post by Scarlet Fever » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:00 pm

UPDATE - Rules for the event (same as last year)...

This is just a quick run down of other bits and bobs about the run you should know and will be covered in the briefing given at the each start point:

There are three start points:

1. Thurrock Services (junction 31), briefing and sign in from 9:30pm, depart at 10:00pm

2. South Mimms Services (junction 23), briefing and sign in from 10:00pm, rolling start circa 10:30pm

3. Clacketts Lane Services (between junctions 5 & 6), briefing and sign in from 11:00pm, rolling start circa 11:30pm

The object is to do a complete lap of the M25 with the hood down. A complete lap is around 120 miles. Please ensure you have adequate fuel for the entire lap, as we shall not be stopping until Thurrock.

· The group will travel between 60 and 70mph so as to not be an obstruction to other road users. My car is the pace car; participants are not to overtake it. It can be identified by the red paintwork with a large cream X-Power stripe over it.

· We all travel anti-clockwise and the main convoy will not stop to join up with the other groups, rather it will slow down slightly as we approach, and drive by the services, allowing the other cars to join.

· Please note that should you have an issue, mechanically or otherwise, the convoy will not be able to stop and assist and that you should make your own provisions for these outcomes (breakdown recovery etc).

· Should the weather be judged as dangerous – the run may be cancelled at short notice.

· There is no obligation to keep the hood down (although it is hoped that temperatures and climate on the day will make it possible to do so) and that
should the cold be detrimental to the abilities of the driver the hood must be raised. Finally, the additional £5.00 donation to RNLI for raising the hood is not mandatory and is only an incentive to attempt the run with the hood down.

· The whole group needs to be courteous to other road users and not provide an obstruction. This includes (but is not limited to) keeping to the left lane wherever possible and allowing other vehicles into and out of the group, particularly at junctions, entries and exits.

· We all do the Dartford Tunnel together circa midnight, There are two tunnels, a left and a right one, note, if it is open, we should all take the LEFT HAND bore. This is because the Thurrock group need to exit immediately afterwards into the services. It is recommended that all participants exit here too (for warm up, chat, photos, tea/coffee etc in the services), however you do not have to if you don’t want to stop, you can continue your lap onto South Mimms or Clacketts Lane should you wish.

· The Dartford Crossing is free between the hours of 10:00pm and 6:00am, so we won’t be charged. However, the toll booth barriers will be down (to slow traffic as they approach them), as you pull up to the barrier it will raise and the dot matrix sign will say, THANKYOU, FREE.

· Please note that the road into and out of the Dartford Crossing is NOT a motorway (it has green road signs), please be extra careful here and follow the posted speed restrictions, it is a notorious spot for speed traps. Also the tunnel itself is a 50mph zone, we are likely to attract the attention of the crossing Police, making a noise should be OK, but breaking the speed limit or driving dangerously to make a noise is definitely not.

· WARNING Folding the hood in low temperatures can cause the plastic rear screen of your hood to split (it goes brittle as the temperature drops). It is strongly recommended that you unzip it and lay it flat on the parcel shelf before you lower the hood.

· Lastly, if all goes according to plan, we shall have 50+ cars between Clacketts Lane and Thurrock services – this is a very noticeable group of cars and we are highly likely to attract a lot of attention from the Police. They have been informed of the run (as has the Dartford Crossing), as a courtesy, but they will be watching us very carefully and we do not want to give them an excuse to shut us down. All it will take is one person stepping out of line and the run is over – please be careful.

Good luck, and have fun
Andrew Phillips

sparky135

Post by sparky135 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:43 pm

Updated list to reflect the fact that Mrs Sparky135 has had to drop out. :(

List so far:

Confirmed So far

1. Pendle Lass.............Paid JG / location..?

Clacketts Lane:

Thurrock:

2. TF Karl
3. Gotenks1321
6. The prometheus
13. Adrian..................Paid JG
14. SkunkyMunkey3000
15. JamesTF .............Paid JG
25. Silver Dreamrac
34. MGF Girl ...............Paid JG
35. Giles H.................Paid JG

South Mimms:

2. Sparky 135............ Paid JG
9. Lillypad..................Paid JG
10. Jlee - Johnathon & joyce ? Donate at event
11. Nobby MGF..............Paid JG
12. Shinto....................Paid JG
13. MurrayG.................Paid JG
14. Sezjane..................Donate at event
15. Onecruelbagel.... " MX 5 "
16. Rycuda ..................Paid JG
17. Andie B ..................Paid JG
18. Lyonstf10 ...............Donate at event
19. Jon Tully.........Paid JG (Apparently :roll: ) :lol:

Thats 56 Confirmed in taking part in the 2010

1. NeilSurreyLabs ......... Paid JG "Passenger Request"
2. Nertman
3. Loaky
4. Thatone1967
5. Valkryie
7. PimpJay9
8. ColinTF

Had to drop out:

1. Chris - Mrs Sparky ..... Paid JG

I believe this list is not complete as there are some omissions from .org

@Damien can you update from the latest list on .org please so we have definitive numbers for each start point.

Cheers.
John
www.scrr.org.uk

MeetwithDamien
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by MeetwithDamien » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:11 pm

I am copying this list from org as an update list.... Im gonna mention this as I am a little cheesed off.. I spent alot of time and effort putting this list together checking both org and register entries every day. and it seems my efforts rallied the troops in :

1. showing a very early interest
2. By seeing members actually putting their names down gained more interest to confirming
3. By adding "Paid JG" actually made so many people visit the site and donate early
4. By having a well organised updated list allowed people to know where they are

I did not see anyone at all start this list, I did it as Andy had alot on.. By starting the organised list and doing this the charity raised 10% in the first two days. wether it be here or org. My list was copied here after confering with Keith,If I was able to put this list together why didnt someone else..! A little appreciation rather than politics ! Next time I wont put my self out.. !

This is the last updated list , Im now handing over.. wont be updating. !

Confirmed So far

Thurrock: 22:00

2. TF Karl
3. Gotenks1321 ..........Donate at event
6. The prometheus
13. Adrian Clifford .......Paid JG
14. SkunkyMunkey3000 ..Paid JG
15. JamesTF ..............Paid JG
25. Silver Dreamrac
34. MGF Girl ................Paid JG
35. June Easterling........Donate at event
36. GilesH ...................Paid JG passenger Neil Surrey Lab
37. Chapman10000 ...... Paid JG

South Mimms: 22:30

2. Sparky 135............ Paid JG
9. Jon Norris
10. Lillypad..................Paid JG
11. Jlee - Johnathon & joyce ? Donate at event
12. Nobby MGF..............Paid JG
13. Shinto....................Paid JG
14. MurrayG.................Paid JG
15. Sezjane..................Donate at event
16. Onecruelbagel.... " MX 5 "
17. Rycuda ..................Paid JG
18. Andie B ..................Paid JG
19. Lyonstf10 ...............Donate at event
20, Jon Tully..................Paid JG

Chertsey 23:00

1. TimM / Paul

Clacketts Lane: 23:30

Thats 59 Confirmed in taking part in the 2010

1.ColinTF
2. Nertman
3. Loaky
4. Thatone1967
5. Valkryie
7. PimpJay9
Last edited by MeetwithDamien on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.