ABINGDON to GENEVA RE-RUN

A listing of up and coming events and latest register news.

Moderator: Committee Members

sparky135
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MG TF Spark

Re: ABINGDON to GENEVA RE-RUN

Post by sparky135 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:31 am

dwkmgf wrote:... spare under crackers packed - I'm ready for the off!!!
We're only away for 4 nights. :?
John
MGF Register South Coast Regional Rep
south.coast@mgfregister.org
www.scrr.org.uk

Ribena Rob
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 85th

Post by Ribena Rob » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Two more cars to add to the merry throng! We (my better half and I) are the ones with the Cassis 85th and our friends Dave and Ann are in an LE500.
Tim has all our detail; CCT fully paid up and Premier Inn at Abingdon booked for 2nd. All that remains is to book the show tickets; finalise insurances; organise spending cash and we are ready for the off. (Have we forgotten anything??) Think I can get enough undershreddies into the TF boot!)
How many are staying over longer in Annemasse and how many are returning on the Saturday?
Currently we have just cracked the 1000 mile barrier on the car and it is loosening off nicely - should be well bedded in by 7th March!
Look forward to meeting up with everyone, cheers for now.
Ribena Rob (aka Keith)

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:01 am

Ribena Rob wrote:Two more cars to add to the merry throng! )
Welcome on Board !!

It looks like a Euro Trip as the Route, Hotels and Restaurants are in France with only the day at the show is in Swiss Francs unless you buy a car as I did in 2000.
If we drive from the Hotel to the show, then it is a drive thru Central Geneva free or an easier Autoroute/Autobahn needing a CHF Autobahn Toll Vignette at CHF 40.
As you will see in our thread above we will stay in Annemasse for the Saturday night arranged and paid to CTC albeit they have not confirmed the reservation. Nobody else has shown any interest yet in any extended tour but in Retirement, we Tour with a maximum average mileage of 200 a day.
We have not decided on a night before Hotel yet however a hearty cooked breakfast before starting may influence it.
Geoff F.

Ribena Rob

Post by Ribena Rob » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:44 pm

Hi Geoff,
many thanks for your post and the welcome, very helpful. We were considering the possibility of an extra night in Geneva, but only if others are considering the same. Would not want to break up the merry gang too soon!
We were in Geneva last June and Annemasse is not too difficult to find using the motorway ring road - only gets a bit hairy in the centre of town (as usual, an acute lack of road signs!)
We and our friends have booked into the Premier Inn at Abingdon the night before but are not sure about the early breakfast. May have to manage until we get to the ferry!
Do you know the names of the hotels we are using? I shall use Aurotoute and print off some maps of location etc.
Cheers for now,
Ribena Rob.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:51 pm

Ribena Rob wrote:Hi Geoff,

Do you know the names of the hotels we are using?
Ribena Rob.
The web page with the Itinerary details is given on Tim.s Initial thread viz. http://www.mgfregister.org/MGFRegister/AbtoGen15.htm
ie. Holiday Inn Express Reims and Hotel Balladins Annemasse.
Geoff F.

redbeard57
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 85th LE, MGF We

Post by redbeard57 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:50 pm

I know we are late :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but I have just spoken to CCT and booked for the event.......what is the final line up for this one?

sparky135

Post by sparky135 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:04 pm

Good to have you aboard, Simon.

By my reckoning that's ten cars signed up to go including Julian White in the MGCC support vehicle.

I'm waiting to hear from CCT with the final line-up as I believe there may be one or two late comers to the event. (When I spoke to them last, Simon, I don't know if you were included in that number or not so I'm a little hazy as to what the final number will be).

Should be a good trip and I for one am really looking forward to it. :thumbsu:
John
www.scrr.org.uk

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:27 pm

sparky135 wrote:
By my reckoning that's ten cars signed up to go including Julian White in the MGCC support vehicle.
:
If we have a "Support Vehicle", then what arrangements do we have to equip it ?? Do we have a Sponsor who will let us have some spares On Sale or Return' ??. A Tow Dolly ?? Some Tools ??
I will be carrying a Laptop with the OEM Workshop manual and have a few hammers in the garage.
Geoff F.

redbeard57
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 85th LE, MGF We

Post by redbeard57 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:50 pm

No we were not being counted in the CCT numbers until today. It has all been a bit should we/shouldnt we because of a family problem, but that has now been resolved so here we are!!

sparky135

Post by sparky135 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:56 pm

That being the case there is a slim chance there may be one or two more. I guess we'll have to wait and see. As it stands at the moment we're up to 10 cars.

As far as the support vehicle is concerned, Geoff, those are good questions well asked. Leave it with me and I'll try and find some answers this weekend. :thumbsu:
John
www.scrr.org.uk

TimM
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF VVC MY2000

Post by TimM » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:00 pm

Ah that explains a lot SImon - I was trying to work out who the "missing" one was !

The "support" vehicle willl be the MGCC ZTT with Julian White and Colin Grant. Again this is being done to replicate as closely as possibly the original 1995 run. It will be there as more of a help vehicle should anything go awry (not that it will !) and people need ferrying about etc. We'll try and include a few basic spares on board as well as toolkit, tow rope etc. Don't exepct a full mechanics outfit though ! European recovery is highly recommended - I'd probably say essential.

Once in Switzerland the MGCC Switzerland will be hosting our stay with Thomas Ledergerber (Overseas Director) and Dani Ingold our main hosts. Dani was involved with original run in 1995.

Those going are :-

Tim & Liz Morris 2000 MGF VVC
John & Christine Wilson 2005 MGTF 160
Geoff & Ann Farthing 2000 MGF Steptronic (purchased at the 2000 Geneva Motor Show !)
Graham Saunders & Mike Laing 1996 MGF
Charles & Caroline Simeon 1996 MGF
Dave Kerley & Kieron Lacey 2001 MGF Steptronic
David & Ann Moir MGTF LE500
Keith & Eleanor Robinson MGTF 85th Anniversary
Simon & Julie Davies MGTF 85th Anniversary
Julian White & Colin Grant MG ZTTT

If you need to stay over in Abingdon on the Tuesday night ready for the early start then some of us are booking into the Premier Travel Inn next to the Ock Mill near to MGCC HQ. http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/ABIOCK/abingdon

Richard Martin (Chairman Abingdon Works Centre) will be hosting our send off from the Town Square on Wednesday morning.

It is still possible to book a place on this historic recreation run if you're quick !

PS
A couple of hammers and a snow shovel could be useful though Geoff !

Tim Morris
President MGCC MGF Register
FasTForward Editor; Safety Fast columnist; South East Regional Representative

2000 MGF VVC ; 1981 MGBGT LE; 2006 MG ZR

sparky135

Post by sparky135 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:33 pm

A taste of things to look forward to at the Geneva Motor Show.

Including the 20th Anniversary Edition of a certain Japanese 2 seater convertible. :?
John
www.scrr.org.uk

dwkmgf
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: 01 Steptronic

Post by dwkmgf » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:44 pm

There is some tantalising metal there - Ferrari, Bentley, AM....and the not so tantalising 20th anniversary of a small japaneses roadster
Dave
2001 Tahiti Blue Freestyle Steptronic - Racing Vintage Stripes, Racing Vintage Interior, K&N 57i, TT Mk 4 Exhaust, AP Racing Brakes, HEP Braided Brake Hoses

Ribena Rob

Post by Ribena Rob » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:03 pm

Hi all,
just one point you guy's may be able to help with. The owners manual for the 85th ann. model states that the headlight can be adjusted to dip either left or right by moving a lever in the lamp holder. However, when you try to find said lever, low and behold...nothing! Not for the first time I find the owners manual incorrect.
Have any of you used beam deflectors or stick-on maskes for use with TF headlights?
Ribena Rob.

Keith Williams
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:12 pm

Ribena Rob wrote:Hi all,
just one point you guy's may be able to help with. The owners manual for the 85th ann. model states that the headlight can be adjusted to dip either left or right by moving a lever in the lamp holder. However, when you try to find said lever, low and behold...nothing! Not for the first time I find the owners manual incorrect.
Have any of you used beam deflectors or stick-on maskes for use with TF headlights?
Ribena Rob.
I thought it was only the F's that needed the beam deflectors stuck to the lights. The TFs & I assumed they followed on with all the later models all have a lever to move as far as I know. Hopefully some one can confirm for you and point out where they are.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

Ribena Rob

Post by Ribena Rob » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:14 pm

One other thing.....
I have noticed a couple of posts on the Tecnhnical section regarding snow tyres. Am I correct in assuming that we shall not be expected to fit new wheels and snow tyres for this run? What are other planning to do in this regard?
Thanks,
Ribena Rob.

Ribena Rob

Post by Ribena Rob » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks Keith, it would help if someone can advise - I suspect the adjuster has been "cost engineered" out of the new models, our pals LE500 does not seem to have then either!
Keith Williams wrote:
Ribena Rob.
I thought it was only the F's that needed the beam deflectors stuck to the lights. The TFs & I assumed they followed on with all the later models all have a lever to move as far as I know. Hopefully some one can confirm for you and point out where they are.

sparky135

Post by sparky135 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:37 pm

Ribena Rob wrote:One other thing.....
I have noticed a couple of posts on the Tecnhnical section regarding snow tyres. Am I correct in assuming that we shall not be expected to fit new wheels and snow tyres for this run? What are other planning to do in this regard?
Thanks,
Ribena Rob.
We are currently waiting to hear from the MGCC Switzerland for advice on tyres/chains and any other aspects that need taking into account from both a legal and safety perspective. The minute we hear back details will be posted here.
Ribena Rob.
The TF headlights do indeed have a little lever to switch between left and right hand driving. However it is incredibly difficult to find. I almost gave up looking for it, but it is there. Once found though it is incredibly difficult to reach. I had to flick the lever across with a screwdriver as I couldn't reach it with my fingers.

Try this link. It may help a little more than the users manual. Sadly my TF is in for repair at the moment so I can't try and get a photo of the lever for you. If you are still struggling to find it by Wednesday when I get it back I'll see if I can get a photo sorted for you.

It is there. It's just not obvious.

To quote a passage from the website in the link I provided:
Given the otherwise excellence of this design idea, the fact that dipped beam adjustment was so user-unfriendly was a genuine disappointment. So, MG and head lamp manufacturer, Valeo, WHY have you spoilt this potentially brilliant idea???
That about sums it up.
John
www.scrr.org.uk

Art

Post by Art » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:15 pm

The lever will be there. not wishing to state the obvious but are you looking at the appropriate light ? If you think of it as a clock face the lever is at the 6 position, you will need a slim 6 to 8 inch screwdriver and a little time, I remove the rubber cap, get a torch to shine through from the front of the glass then look through the open rear and you should be able to see the lever, feed the screwdriver carefully through taking care of the wiring etc. The lever moves approx 45 degrees and could be quite stiff if it is it's first use, I always place the screwdriver blade against the main part of the lever and not the right angled piece at the end as it is quite flexible. It is a fiddly job but once you know where to look etc it will only take minutes to do, again not wishing to state the obvious but always replace the rubber cover when you have finished.
I always change mine on the dockside even though in most cases I do not intend to do much night driving in mainland Europe because of the legal requirements to use lights if the daylight visibility is poor.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:50 pm

sparky135 wrote: We are currently waiting to hear from the MGCC Switzerland for advice on tyres/chains and any other aspects that need taking into account from both a legal and safety perspective. The minute we hear back details will be posted here.
The trip is all French Autoroute to Annemasse. There is no Legal requirement for Snow tyres and you can expect a clear run. Should there be snow then it is a case of taking it easy or parking up until it is clearer.
Driving in Switzerland may be just across Geneva to the Show adjacent to the Airport although it may be easier to take bus/tram and train.. Snow tyres are only a Legal Requirement for Swiss plate cars.
Snow Chains are rarely required except on mountain roads where you must carry them if there is a road sign depicting chains. They cannot be fitted to MGF/TF 16in wheels.
The only additional requirements are a reflective jacket and a Red triangle.
We will have snow tyres fitted on a set of 15in rims plus chains as we will be going on into the Alps and do not want to be confined to the main roads.
Further advice is on http://www.theaa.co.uk
Geoff F.