ABINGDON to GENEVA RE-RUN

A listing of up and coming events and latest register news.

Moderator: Committee Members

Canalsman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: 2004 TF 160 LMG

Re: ABINGDON to GENEVA RE-RUN

Post by Canalsman » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:26 pm

Ribena Rob wrote:Hi all,
just one point you guy's may be able to help with. The owners manual for the 85th ann. model states that the headlight can be adjusted to dip either left or right by moving a lever in the lamp holder. However, when you try to find said lever, low and behold...nothing! Not for the first time I find the owners manual incorrect.
Have any of you used beam deflectors or stick-on maskes for use with TF headlights?
Ribena Rob.
Hi Rob

Take a look here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3426 for some further assistance ...

I added my sixpennorth towards the end, having really battled ...

Good luck, and don't try to do this in the dark!

Ribena Rob
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 85th

Post by Ribena Rob » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:54 am

Many thanks for this Geoff. As I thought, should be OK with normal tyres (hopefully!) Not sure snow chains would help enhance the appearance of the 85th wheels! See you soon,
Ribena Rob
Geoff.F wrote:
sparky135 wrote: We are currently waiting to hear from the MGCC Switzerland for advice on tyres/chains and any other aspects that need taking into account from both a legal and safety perspective. The minute we hear back details will be posted here.
The trip is all French Autoroute to Annemasse. There is no Legal requirement for Snow tyres and you can expect a clear run. Should there be snow then it is a case of taking it easy or parking up until it is clearer.
Driving in Switzerland may be just across Geneva to the Show adjacent to the Airport although it may be easier to take bus/tram and train.. Snow tyres are only a Legal Requirement for Swiss plate cars.
Snow Chains are rarely required except on mountain roads where you must carry them if there is a road sign depicting chains. They cannot be fitted to MGF/TF 16in wheels.
The only additional requirements are a reflective jacket and a Red triangle.
We will have snow tyres fitted on a set of 15in rims plus chains as we will be going on into the Alps and do not want to be confined to the main roads.
Further advice is on http://www.theaa.co.uk
Geoff F.

Ribena Rob

Post by Ribena Rob » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:04 am

Hi all,
many thanks for all the advise regarding headlight dip adjustment - found the pesky lever at last!! If ever there was a lesson on how to spoil a good idea with lousy execusion, this is it!
Thanks again,
Ribena Rob.

dwkmgf
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: 01 Steptronic

Post by dwkmgf » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Sparky - you have a PM
Dave
2001 Tahiti Blue Freestyle Steptronic - Racing Vintage Stripes, Racing Vintage Interior, K&N 57i, TT Mk 4 Exhaust, AP Racing Brakes, HEP Braided Brake Hoses

sparky135
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MG TF Spark

Post by sparky135 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:31 pm

Thanks mate. :thumbsu:
John
MGF Register South Coast Regional Rep
south.coast@mgfregister.org
www.scrr.org.uk

dwkmgf

Post by dwkmgf » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:34 pm

Just bought tickets for Kieron and me, - we are good to go Houston. Well almost - car is being serviced next week.
This might be a silly question - can we use Euro's in Switzerland or do we need Swiss Francs?
Dave
2001 Tahiti Blue Freestyle Steptronic - Racing Vintage Stripes, Racing Vintage Interior, K&N 57i, TT Mk 4 Exhaust, AP Racing Brakes, HEP Braided Brake Hoses

adrianclifford
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:36 pm

Dave, you need Swiss Francs (CHF) I'm afraid. Don't forget your motorway vignettes too.

If you have any left, I'll buy them off you ready for our trip there in May so you won't be stuck with them. Have a great trip, take care.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:31 pm

dwkmgf wrote:- can we use Euro's in Switzerland or do we need Swiss Francs?
Euros. It is probable that you could survive the one day in Geneva with Euros however for convenience I would suggest a few Swiss Francs ( say £50) for the day. If you need more, then there are plenty of ATMs or if you do not spend it all, then put it in the fuel tank before you leave. In an Emergency, then Ann will have a few spare.
Vignette. Do not buy one in advance. Hopefully we will not need one but if we do, then they are readily available at Petrol Stations or the Border Crossing (in Euros).
Credit Cards. Many UK Banks require that you inform them if you want to use your cards out of UK. It is worth checking.
Geoff.F

Ribena Rob

Post by Ribena Rob » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:01 pm

Sparky,
forgive my ignorance, but what is a "PM"? Do I need to go to the garage, or even the doctors!?
Cheers,
Ribena Rob.
dwkmgf wrote:Sparky - you have a PM

sparky135

Post by sparky135 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Ribena Rob wrote:Sparky,
forgive my ignorance, but what is a "PM"? Do I need to go to the garage, or even the doctors!?
Cheers,
Ribena Rob.
dwkmgf wrote:Sparky - you have a PM
PM is short for Private Message. It is a means of communicating with each other privately and without showing what you are saying to the rest of the forum. It is a feature of the forum software and is a little bit like email but is only available to you while you are logged on. You can send someone a private message by clicking the PM icon underneath the users name on the right of the forum or clicking on their name which will bring up their details and offer you the facility to send a PM (as well as a regular email).

If somebody has sent you a PM it will appear at the top of the forum when you log on next t the Control Panel link.

It is a useful means of communicating things you would rather not publish on a public forum such as exchanging phone numbers etc.

Hope that helps. :thumbsu:
John
www.scrr.org.uk

sparky135

Post by sparky135 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:30 pm

By the way Rob, you have PM. :thumbsu:
John
www.scrr.org.uk

Ribena Rob

Post by Ribena Rob » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:12 am

OK, thanks Sparky. Got the "PM" also. I get there eventually, just takes a little more time once you pass 3 score years!
Cheers.
Ribena Rob
sparky135 wrote:By the way Rob, you have PM. :thumbsu:

sparky135

Post by sparky135 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:39 am

I've just had a phone call from Trisha, the very nice lady at Continental Car Tours. She is just finalising our package and will get all the details in the post to everyone at the end of the week. :thumbsu:
John
www.scrr.org.uk

TimM
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF VVC MY2000

Post by TimM » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:05 am

Looks like our numbers will be swelled in Geneva with a group of five cars popping over from Italy to join us for dinner on Friday night and one coming down from Germany to meet us at Valleiry on Thursday. SO that's at least 30 people for dinner on Friday evening - should make a nice party

Tim Morris
President MGCC MGF Register
FasTForward Editor; Safety Fast columnist; South East Regional Representative

2000 MGF VVC ; 1981 MGBGT LE; 2006 MG ZR

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:46 pm

It is coming good Tim.
We are all prepared except that we have a problem with the OSH. We will not need the electric fridge but will be carrying our cold weather gear and boots. We will not have room for adequate quantities of OSH. Can others please include some in their packing.
Geoff F.

dwkmgf

Post by dwkmgf » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:33 pm

Geoff.F wrote:It is coming good Tim.
We are all prepared except that we have a problem with the OSH. We will not need the electric fridge but will be carrying our cold weather gear and boots. We will not have room for adequate quantities of OSH. Can others please include some in their packing.
Geoff F.
Sorry Geoff - what is OSH :?
Dave

Keith Williams
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:37 pm

dwkmgf wrote: Sorry Geoff - what is OSH :?
OSH = Old Speckled Hen, an age old MG drink :lol:
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:52 pm

Tastes like it too (sorry :shutup: ) try OCH (Old Crafty Hen) that's much better.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:35 am

adrianclifford wrote:Tastes like it too (sorry :shutup: ) try OCH (Old Crafty Hen) that's much better.
You have changed your taste since we went to Sweden
http://www.oldspeckledhen.co.uk/history.html
Geoff F.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:37 pm

Not at all Geoff, thanks for the reminder, that was a laugh taking that OSH all of the way, but I didn't drink it there either, I took the local beers instead.