Welcome to the Heart of England for
Warwickshire, Birmingham & surrounds.

Moderator: Steve White

hazel
MGF Register Region: Midlands

No locking wheel nut key...

Post by hazel » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:55 pm

Hello,

Since I received wonderful help last time I'm back with a new question...

When I got the car, an MGF 2001, 1.8, it did not come with a locking wheel nut key. I need a tyre changing/fixing and the garage have said I can buy a new set of wheel nuts, the old can be chiseled off and replaced, but I didn't know whether it would be worth searching around for a new key and if so where to start? I'm guessing ebay or something, but how do you find out which one to get?

Many thanks,

Hazel :)

Phil_B
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: Fixie & MGF VVC

Re: No locking wheel nut key...

Post by Phil_B » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:30 pm

Probably best to get the garage to remove them and then replace them with some better ones (The standard MG ones, particularly the key which are prone to shearing, were not great). McGuard's are a popular choice but there are plenty out there.

Good luck
Phil Brindley

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: No locking wheel nut key...

Post by Geoff.F » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:30 pm

You may have a 3inch long black tube with the key in it.
The car should come with a buisness card size card with all the applicable car numbers on it. On the end of the nut there is a single digit letter code from which you can establish the key number. E-Bay has a supplier who may help or your local X-Part supplier can help. If in trouble then I have the cross reference list only by PM
There is nothing wrong with the original nuts as long as you maintain them correctly viz. grease and do not overtighten them.
Geoff.F