Welcome to the Heart of England for
Warwickshire, Birmingham & surrounds.

Moderator: Steve White

Jonniey
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF

Full service History, What i found & list to do

Post by Jonniey » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:59 am

Yesterday i did my first spanner work on Penelope who has a fully stamped serve book up until 67 thou miles and she has 73 thou on the clock, now i know maintenance on these MGF's is a pain in the rear end, and now understand why some things are neglected. Heres what i found and to be honest i'm disappointed at the previous garages that have worked on Penelope, and i have the receipts for work carried out, thats questionable.
Here we go, after raising the rear of the roof and removing the carpet and sound wadding, i noted i needed a 10mm socket and 10mm ratchet spanner to get the bolts from under the speaker box,and remove the engine cover, there were no bolts under the speaker box, Grrrrrrrr Lazy B's i thought
Next i was replacing the plugs because she was running a bit lumpy when cold, when removing the cam cover there was another bolt missing :rant:
Cover off and proceeded to remove the coil packs and leads to remove the plugs, first plug out and a quick inspection looks like she has been running a bit lean, all four plugs replaced with new ones Now considering she has a full history why were the leads left in situ? the tops of the leads {the rubber but you grab} were broken away and what only can be described as bakerlight bits broken away :rant:
with the engine cover off i removed the air filter, Shock horror what should have been changed 6 thou miles ago looked like it's been in there for 20 thou miles, it was black and filthy, New airl filter installed, and first turn of the key she fired into life, and she is so much smoother and a wee bit quieter.
I put all the decking and carpet back, grabbed a coffee and thought to myself good job, lets go for a spin and see how you run now, Destination was Old Arley to buy some Fabsil, the air filter was helping her breath again and fresh plugs were igniting the fuel mixture, she ran lovely, Now being a dry day with a bit of wind i thought roof next, with a gallon {5ltrs} of fabsil a paint brush i liberally applied to the roof, which will do until the better weather arrives when i clean and reproof.
Jobs to do and investigate: On the back end theres like a rubbing noise which increases and decreases with the speed of one of the rear wheels, it had new disks and pads 12 months ago and i'm wondering if it may have a warped disk although i can't feel it through the brake pedel or maybe the hand brake mech might be semi seized ?????????
New plug leads to be punched, engine oil and filter to be done next week weather permiting, and front disks & pads to be replaced
Engine cover bolts to be sourced
If anyone has any idea what that rubing noise could be, please post your thoughts
http://www.facebook.com/penelopemgf
MGF 1.8i MK2 2000 model

daz
Model of Car: mg less :(

Re: Full service History, What i found & list to do

Post by daz » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:41 pm

Jonniey wrote: Destination was Old Arley to buy some Fabsil
That's where I reshaped my front end last week :x

Jonniey

Post by Jonniey » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:45 pm

daz wrote:
Jonniey wrote: Destination was Old Arley to buy some Fabsil
That's where I reshaped my front end last week :x
them twisty roads are very tempting, to which i succumbed :D
MGF 1.8i MK2 2000 model

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:51 pm

I know what you mean Jonniey, my ZS has been through three "enthuisasts" on one of the forums, I was shocked at some of the bodges.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Jonniey

Post by Jonniey » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:54 am

talkingcars wrote:I know what you mean Jonniey, my ZS has been through three "enthuisasts" on one of the forums, I was shocked at some of the bodges.
I think what has shocked me, is that the previous 2 owners have paid a garage/s for servicing and maintenance, for which i have the detailed receipts, and jobs like the air filter was not done and missing bolts from access panels. I just question what else have they neglected? so i'm working through the service stuff now, Weather permiting, the new front disks and pads will be fitted the weekend and a oil and oil filter change
MGF 1.8i MK2 2000 model