Replacing the rear bumper

Welcome to the Heart of England for
Warwickshire, Birmingham & surrounds.

Moderator: Steve White

Darrenbrown507
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Replacing the rear bumper

Post by Darrenbrown507 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:34 pm

Ok, I have to replace my rear bumper, I am aware of the issues withe the 17mm bolts, and the likely hood that they will be rusted on and more than likely ruin the crush cans. My 2nd hand bumper isn't great but is better than the one on the car. A problem with it is the seal tape (part no. Dbz100220) is there an alternative or is it just the official stuff from Remmer bros?

Thanks

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Replacing the rear bumper

Post by nigelandjo » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:32 pm

Never replaced the seal when I removed my bumper on my F. Rimmer's website shows the seal as available, just not a genuine MG Rover one.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

daz
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:54 pm

nope, never replaced the tape on mine

Darrenbrown507

Post by Darrenbrown507 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:29 pm

Just checking but I believe 7 and 8 below are the bolts that are a bugger to get off and tend to destroy the crush cans? I have the joy of getting the reminders of the crush cans and bolts off my second hand replacement bumper. Plan to chop up the bumper to give access to the bolts as i take the old one off.....
Attachments
image.jpg

cath's mg
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: MGF

Post by cath's mg » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Just had a second-hand rear bumper sprayed and fitted to Cath F. I tried the bolts a while ago and wouldn't budge.
I sprayed the bolts daily for a week with Plus Gas before taking it in to be done.
The guy said he had no problems undoing them.

P.S. Cath said get a cover for your soft top, she always puts on a Mike Satur Sun Mate, even when its dry to keep the hood clean :roll:
Gary :thumbsu:
Cath's car but Gary's plaything :-)

Darrenbrown507

Post by Darrenbrown507 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:00 pm

Cheesy Gary and Cath, I have been trying with some of halfords penetration spray, might get some plus gas and keep soaking it, with the bumper currently on the car it seems awkward, as the spray only goes on the bottom of the bolt?

Cover is a good idea but I use it for my daily 50 mile round trip commute, I would end up not putting it on more often than not.

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:44 pm

Darrenbrown507 wrote:Cheesy Gary and Cath, I have been trying with some of halfords penetration spray, might get some plus gas and keep soaking it, with the bumper currently on the car it seems awkward, as the spray only goes on the bottom of the bolt?
Hi Darren, if you get Plus Gas they have a silly bit of small red tubing that goes onto the nozzle, you can with a bit of jiggling get it behind the bumper ;)

Gary :thumbsu: :thumbsu:
Last edited by cath's mg on Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:25 pm

You can just about manage to get in and spray the nuts Darren :thumbsu:
IMG_2584.JPG

Darrenbrown507

Post by Darrenbrown507 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:54 pm

Bloody thing......eventually got the bolts of the replacement bumper, chopped up the one on the car so I could get to the crush can bolts. Ha ha....no chance of getting these of without wrecking the cans :rant: :rant: :rant:

We love mgfs in Pelsall have some, does anyone know if they will be open tomorrow.....I have sent them a message via eBay

:oops: :rant: :thumbsd:

Darrenbrown507

Post by Darrenbrown507 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:59 pm

If anyone ever says replacing the bumper on an mgf is just a few screws and a couple of bolts....... :o :roll:

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:47 am

Darrenbrown507 wrote:If anyone ever says replacing the bumper on an mgf is just a few screws and a couple of bolts....... :o :roll:
All I can say is the guy who replaced it on Cath's F said he didn't have any problems at all :o , if im being honest I did try to loosen them before taking it to him without much luck and though sod it, that's why im giving him beer tokens :evil:
As she has only had the car a couple of years, I guess it could have been off prior to her getting it.

But hey what is easy with these stubborn little cars, apart from the smile driving them :D

Darrenbrown507

Post by Darrenbrown507 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:39 pm

Cheers Gary, the bolts look like they were welded on....got some cans from welovemgfs and sorted it. Had to drill the bolts of my replacement bumper to start with.....new bolts went on with copper grease...

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:24 pm

Darrenbrown507 wrote:Cheers Gary, the bolts look like they were welded on....got some cans from welovemgfs and sorted it. Had to drill the bolts of my replacement bumper to start with.....new bolts went on with copper grease...
Think of the sense of achievement when all those stubborn nuts, bolt, etc are all changed and you flying round a nice twisty country road with the top down :D
All the bruises and scrapes will be a distant memory :lol:

I spent a few hours today trying to close the gap between the soft top and the plastic trim that's attached to the car.
71-HOODS.jpg
71-HOODS.jpg (47.43 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
I can close it a fair bit with a pair of mole grips, so I know its not down to the bottom of the frame.
Have decided to add another clip each side closer to the problem area (arrowed), its really peeing me off at the moment :shutup:

Darrenbrown507

Post by Darrenbrown507 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:38 pm

Not had a go at that yet, but there is plenty of thread on it so there should be an improvement. I still can't understand why this has not been discussed and auctioned before, really pees me off when the local car wash folks power jet the interior via that gap...

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:55 pm

I followed this how too
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.p ... wind+noise
Closed the gap a fair bit, but not enough. Going to pop over to the breakers tomorrow to get the extra clips and give them a go

Darrenbrown507

Post by Darrenbrown507 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:41 pm

What clips are you on about?

Darrenbrown507

Post by Darrenbrown507 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:35 pm

Gary, managed to do mine tonight, only took 20 mins, thanks to my neighbour. I could not undo the 13mm nut as per the how to, but gaz next door told me to just pop the ball joint.....so I loosened both the small 10mm nuts, popped the lower ball joint, tightened both threads and job done....yeah a success :-) :thumbsu:
Attachments
image.jpg

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi Darren, glad you managed to sort it :thumbsu:
The BAS hood on Cath's F didn't have the 13m nut, so like you just popped the ball joint off after removing a little silver clip.
I am going to put one more of these each side closer to the area where the gap is
Clips.JPG
Also going to change a couple that are on there now as they are quite loose. I don't think it will close the gap completely so got a sheet of 3mm rubber and some glue that apparently is used for rubber suits :?
I intend to bond this to the rubber seal that shows in the gap

Darrenbrown507

Post by Darrenbrown507 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:57 pm

Good thinking, should be interesting to see the end results. I still have a gap on the drivers side but that seems to be an issue with the hood seal....

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:59 pm

Just as an after thought .......................As the ball joint on the BAS hood is kept in position with little clips, do you think It would be feasible to remove the 10mm nuts?
Im thinking that may close the gap. This is the 3rd hood on the car in just over 2 years (Mk1, Mk2, BAS), none have fitted in that area particularly well :cry: