Welcome to the Heart of England for
Warwickshire, Birmingham & surrounds.

Moderator: Steve White

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Hope you managed to enjoy the weekends sun

Post by Keith Williams » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:31 pm

Managed to enjoy the weather today with an MG even though I had to fall back on a ride in my brother‘s MGB.

We had a run over to the the South Midlands classic car event at Wythall in Birmingham just off junction 3 of the M42. An interesting mix of truly classic cars including some US muscle cars and a variety of other sporty cars and general cars of interest. It was held in the grounds of Britannia Assurance. Might make a good meeting point for a Sunday pub meet (if we can find a suitable local pub) or evening do when they revert to them in May. Has a transport museum along side the venue too which is open at the weekends.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

petevick
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Re: Hope you managed to enjoy the weekends sun

Post by petevick » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:45 pm

pah, been busy with cattery stuff all weekend :(

How's the engine saga going Keith ?
Pete Vickerstaff
MG F/TF Central - your one stop shop for MGF/TF tips, tricks, faq's, how to's and links

Keith Williams

Post by Keith Williams » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:39 pm

Didn't want to bore everyone with the engine saga until I had something solid to report. lol.

Engine is slowly been rebuilt at present. Looks like it was no where near a 52,000 mile engine or if it was, it had a really really hard life. :|

The pistons and liners were well worn. Creating a knocking noise as the engine idled. The new ones were put in today and they now look fine. Well within the spec required and no excess movement. They were just about to put the sump back on as I left tonight.

The cylinder head was also bad and could not be repaired!! A refurbished one should have arrived today but TNT sent it to the wrong depot first delaying the arrival. Promised delivery tomorrow.

Now got two 'spare' cylinder heads which require new castings but can't seem to find any at present. The internal guts are fine. Might try to recoup some money by flogging them on for spares or if I can find new castings at some stage refurbish them later.

The car should be back on the road with near enough a new engine by the end of the week with hopefully a new MOT too. :thumbsu:

petevick

Post by petevick » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:18 pm

I've got my fingers crossed for you Keith :thumbsu:
Pete Vickerstaff
MG F/TF Central - your one stop shop for MGF/TF tips, tricks, faq's, how to's and links

Keith Williams

Post by Keith Williams » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:50 am

Another sunny weekend to be missed with the car :(

As youd'e expect with my luck so far with the repair, it has not gone to plan or schedule ................

Was promised delivery of the refurbished head on Monday. That came and went as TNT took it to the wrong depot to deliver it in time to Coventry. Promised delivery for Tuesday. You guessed it. They then went and lost it completely on the system and even though they could not trace it officially, TNT thought they might have shipped it to France!!! Luckily it turned up back at the Preston depot and was delivered safely to my garage on Thursday. This meant I missed my slot for fitting it. They were slack at the start of the week too, but hopefully they will be on it today or Monday at the latest. If it goes well now, should see car Monday or Tuesday next week just after the nice weather has left us

petevick

Post by petevick » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:27 pm

bloody hell Keith, I hope at the end of all this you have a working engine, you certainly deserve to have ;)
Pete Vickerstaff

Keith Williams

Post by Keith Williams » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:02 pm

You are never going to believe it but the car is back on the road - at LAST!!! :thumbsu:

Came out of the garage late last night and sounds so so smooth now. No one can suggest it is a diesel version now. Put a 100 or so miles on it since then and all seems well - well, I have heard that before :roll:

The engine that was installed previously has near enough been rebuilt and hopefully it now will give me plenty of years left in the car. (Well until the next time i go on the A45 :? )

The car has to go back for an MOT next week, but the mechanic wanted a few miles on the engine before it went through the test and also he could get feed back on the repair.

petevick

Post by petevick » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:05 pm

just read this in the other thread. Brilliant news Keith, I'm sure your woes are over :thumbsu: may see you at Stoneleigh tomorrow ;)
Pete Vickerstaff