My leaking first MGF

For events and discussion of all things Scottish

Moderator: Glenn Neilson

jambochizzy
MGF Register Region: Scotland

My leaking first MGF

Post by jambochizzy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:57 pm

Hey guys, I bought my first MGF a couple of months ago and I love it!!

People tell me I must be going through a mid-life crisis, but for me it was either an MG or an affair. I settled on the MG!!

However, it has had a couple of probems, one was F12 blew whenever the boot was opened. I traced this to the wiring loom and repaired it.

The other problem I've got is that the drivers side carpet is soaking wet. I noticed it a couple of weeks ago and pulled back the carpet and removed the soundproofing underneath - it was soaking wet!! It has finally dried out. I took a look at the car this evening and after last nights rain, the drivers side had a huge pool of water in it.

HELP!!!

Any ideas??

Cheers,

David

David Clelland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Re: My leaking first MGF

Post by David Clelland » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:36 am

The seal round the heater box has a habit of going after a few years. Re-seal round the edges with AUTOMOTIVE SEALANT. Do not use normal domestic stuff from B&Q as that is corrosive to car's bodywork.

jambochizzy

Post by jambochizzy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:20 am

I've got the drivers side carpet and soundproofing out, sprinkled talcum powder all around where I thought water might appear and after spraing the front of the car with a hose, the water is coming UP through a hole in the middle of the drivers footwell!!!

jambochizzy

Post by jambochizzy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Found it!! The water getting in through the door and dripping/pouring over the sill at the gap in the rubber seal round the bottom of the door space. The seal between the window and the top of the door isn't a good fit and I suspect more water is going down there than should be. The passenger side is a good fit and no water comes in there on the hi-pressure hose test. What is that seal called and can I buy a new one anywhere?

jambochizzy

Post by jambochizzy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:30 pm

It's called a door waste seal. Where can I buy them?