The only thing it failed was the headlights ?!?!

A place for the South Coast (Hampshire, IOW, lower Wiltshire) region.

Moderator: mgfSussex

Nick-Abbi
MGF Register Region: South Coast

The only thing it failed was the headlights ?!?!

Post by Nick-Abbi » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:32 pm

Hey Guys !!

Hope your all well and had fun at the October run... We are sorry we could'nt make it.. some important guests had decided to land upon us!!! hey ho...

Anyways, further to my last post on the old forum.. The MGF went for its MOT at MVM (thanks to Pete Tipping) and all it failed on was the headlights. New bulbs I thought.. Not the case.. apperently I need two new units as the lamp isn't bright enough.. the relectors are to dull (behind the bulb) ??

Soooo .. This begs a question... has anyone, or does anyone know where I could get to headlight units???

Cheers Nick & Abbi

cjmillsnun

Re: The only thing it failed was the headlights ?!?!

Post by cjmillsnun » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:02 am

Hi Nick,

The headlamp problem affects all Fs unfortunately, the heat from the bulbs oxidises the reflector coating.

Have you tried Seward in Bedhampton, The parts won't be cheap unfortunately but I would recommend new headlamp units over second hand.

Charless
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:59 pm

Hi NIck,
Sorry about your MOT and that you couldn't make it on thurs. MGR Headlights are readily available for about £125 each BUT give some thought to a better longer term (reversible) upgrade - HID. My nuclear reactor lights are utterly wonderful by comparison to the standard glimmer, but you have to have decent reflectors as well, see under 'headlights' in the technical thread. See you on the 28th?
Charles

nellyandjoo
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by nellyandjoo » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:29 pm

Soooo .. This begs a question... has anyone, or does anyone know where I could get to headlight units???

Cheers Nick & Abbi[/quote]

Hi Nick & Abbi.

I've just bought a "brand new in the box" NS Headlight for my MGF on ebay for £95.95 including postage. There are a few on there so have a look if you want some new lights.

Nelly.
Mid Life Crisis

cjmillsnun

Post by cjmillsnun » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:18 pm

charless wrote:Hi NIck,
Sorry about your MOT and that you couldn't make it on thurs. MGR Headlights are readily available for about £125 each BUT give some thought to a better longer term (reversible) upgrade - HID. My nuclear reactor lights are utterly wonderful by comparison to the standard glimmer, but you have to have decent reflectors as well, see under 'headlights' in the technical thread. See you on the 28th?
Charles
Charles

Whilst I love the light given by the HIDs, one thing is putting me off at present.

The legality of the conversion.

Unfortunately neither the TF nor the Fs headlamp units have been type approved by Valeo for HID bulbs, also the requisite self adjusting mechanism and headlamp wash is not present on the F/TF therefore it is technically illegal to fit them.

I for one would not like to get pulled over by a jobsworth plod (and we all know it would require a jobsworth to pull a car over that has better lights than standard) and be told my car is illegal and given a fine and points.

Charless
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:57 pm

Nor would I, but so far I havent heard of anybody having any trouble - including discussing exactly that subject with on duty policemen. If well adjusted (the lights ;o)) there should be no problem. The prat in the Volvo or 4*4(with wash and levelling) still blinds you by not bothering to dip anyway.

Nick-Abbi

Post by Nick-Abbi » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:02 pm

Hi Folks !!

Thanks to you all for your help regarding my lights. It seems that it is a common fault with the F's !! .. another one, but we still love um !!

I have opted to buy new lights from an MG parts dealer in Sussex (just up the road from us). He charged £98 inc vat per side which I didn't think was too bad considering most others where around the £125 mark. I did think about Ebay, but they could be ex MOT failures themselves as most where not guarenteed of their history?

I will endevour to fit them on Saturday... I hope it isn't difficult :|

Abbi will be running in the the 'Great South Run' on the 28th and I will be 'up north' so I'm afriad yet again we won't be able to make the next meet ... We will try our very best to make the next month's second Thursday meet, so we hope to see you all then. :D

Nick & Abbi

Nick-Abbi

Post by Nick-Abbi » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:06 pm

.... oh forgot to say, I did give the Metallising guy a call... He charges £70+vat and £15 p&p to re chrome these babies. His turn around time is about 2 weeks at the mo, he's had a fire in the workshop, so it's put him back a while.
The MOT needs to be re done by Monday, so the time scale wouldn't allow.

PeteT
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Post by PeteT » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:36 am

Hi Nick
Sorry to hear about the old headlights... I know things have been tightened up a bit on headlights, I believe mainly because of them stupid high rise 4x4 gusslers. Shame as MVM have always passed both the MGA (10 years), "F" (6 years) and any other euroboxes we've had probably for over 20 years now. But - hey, you have to look after them...
Regards
Pete

monkeyjim
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by monkeyjim » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:42 pm

I realise new headlamps have been purchased .

I do have used ones , £25 for passenger side , £15 for drivers side, this has a small crack across the internal lens somehow. , the outer glass is perfect.
Breaking a 97 F with ABS .
Need it off my drive , see main forum members classified section for details or just call.

I am near Newhaven .

David