Bad News - I think

This Region covers Northants, North Bucks and the Bedfordshire areas.

Moderators: Yorkshire Shrimper, Committee Members

Daved
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: Steptronic & MGB

Bad News - I think

Post by Daved » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:46 pm

Driving into work this morning I got caught in heavy traffic on the A45 because of an incident up by the Queen Eleanor pub. I thought I could smell something like hot coolant and noticed the heater was blowing cold air while set to hot. Then I got my head out from between my rear cheeks and noticed the temp gauge was off the scale and steam was blowing out the boot! When I got to work the coolant was still in the expansion tank but was boiling.

Lunchtime and off I went to Halfords at Riverside of the A45. It overheated after 1 mile but didn't boil or pour steam out. Coolant filled up and new expansion tank cap fitted and I got home (10 miles) without a mishap even in the traffic at the A45/A509 roundabout. She behaved properly so what was it? The beginning of HGF or a dodgy cap or a blockage or what? There doesn't and never has been any sign of coolant leak when she is parked up. If the coolant goes down again I'll check it for leaks

Oh and the oil dipstick showed nearly empty but no mayo when I got to work or got home this evening! Neglect there I am afraid. Would low oil level cause overheating in an F? It does in the B.

Cheers

Dave

Rich Stone
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160

Re: Bad News - I think

Post by Rich Stone » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:10 pm

Dave,

Hmmm. Not good... It's exactly what happened to mine, pre HGF. I would recomment having the cooling system pressure checked to begin with. Normally I would say don't drive it anywhere but as you have and everything seems ok, I would just say drive cautiously for a while, keeping a close eye on the oil and water guages. Also note any changes to performance, for example smooth acceleration, general throttle response. If it seems to be ok after a week or two, then you may have been very lucky. But if you have the slightest hint of anything untoward, stop immediately before any serious damage is done. HGFs are expensive as they are but can get worse if you try try to drive any distance.

HTH... :( :oops:

Rich.

ScubaStewart
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Post by ScubaStewart » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:55 pm

Dave, doesn't sound too good.

I'd definitely go with what Rich says, get the cooling system pressure checked, and keep a very close eye on everything.

And top up your oil!!!

Lets keep fingers crossed, that the Scotian Wolf will be ok.

Nicktg

Post by Nicktg » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:43 pm

As above really, hope to god its the cap...it's fairly common and the 'best case scenario' BTW I bought one at Halfords as a spare a while ago, they charged me 73p???? I'm assuming it was an error as it was marked at £3.00 on the shelf. If it cost you 73p I'd suggest stocking up while the going is good for SMS members!

Daved

Post by Daved » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:50 pm

Thanks guys for your bets wishes. She has behaved well today and doesn't appear to have lost any coolant but I'll check over the weekend.

The cap was £4 odd in Halfords! HGF is expensive :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Daved

Post by Daved » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:58 pm

Good news - I think! :) The coolant leak has been diagnosed as a faulty water pump, leaking around the shaft. I have been keeping it topped up with coolant and it has behaved itself with no indication of overheating at all, even in very heavy traffic. :)

It goes in on Monday.

Cheers

David

Paddy

Post by Paddy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:13 pm

Only just joined, so a bit late!
No oil would certainly cause overheating.

I had HGF with my 97 VVC on the A5 driving into Bletchley on way to work. Car was uplifted to to Brown and Gammons and latest Land Rover gasket fitted plus a stronger Rail at the bottom of the block. Cost £900 but comes with a 3 year warranty.

When I first bought this car ealy 2007 and soon after, whilst at B & G, the steel rad burst so I had a new ally one plus stainless steel cooling pipes fitted as I aim to keep this car as long as I can.

Paddy.

puds121
Model of Car: MG TF

Post by puds121 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:43 pm

Welcome to SMS Paddy......get into the introduce yourself part and post some pics......look forward to meeting you at our regular meets :D :thumbsu:
Lee. TF135 'Nemo'...much loved and modded
XPG, Milltek quad exhaust, MGR wheels, Z&F Remap - 148bhp on RR, Blue dash conversion, MGF Centre seats and hoops, VHPD Bootlid.