South Wales and nearby.

Moderator: BigBen

sniperpenguin
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Welsh "Coast to Coast" Run

Post by sniperpenguin » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:01 pm

**Also Posted in the South-Wales Section**

The North Wales / South Wales C2C run used to be a popular annual event, and I'm thinking of getting it revived for 2016..... Is there any interest?

I would likely need to liaise with the SW Rep, but I'm sure roads and Pubs this good (plus a few photo opps at either side) would be worth it!

Nigel - (North Wales Rep)
'53 MGTF 135 Monogram Lagoon
'54 MGTF 115 Monogram Biomorphic (Work in Progress!)
Coloured seatbelts here - http://www.facebook.com/mgbelts

ClaraW
MGF Register Region: South Wales

Re: Welsh "Coast to Coast" Run

Post by ClaraW » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:59 pm

I was just talking about this with one of our crew and there is definitely interest down here.

I will PM you my number and we can discuss it.

sniperpenguin

Post by sniperpenguin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:43 pm

ClaraW wrote:I was just talking about this with one of our crew and there is definitely interest down here.

I'll do the same Clara :)

I seem to recall that the start / end points were Cardiff and Llandudno, with the "direction" alternating each time.....

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:29 am

When I went on it with Dave Morris at the helm, we had the cars lined up in the dry dock and the cars all started from the Middle, because it was pouring with rain, of a car park in the city centre, Cardiff of course.

We finished in a very dodgy hotel in Llandudno.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

p3ahe
Model of Car: MG TF115

Post by p3ahe » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:34 pm

Certainly interested in this , as discussed at MGF20.

Andrew & Cherie
MG ZT 1.8 Turbo

sniperpenguin

Post by sniperpenguin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:14 pm

Not heard back from Clara yet - Its possible she hasnt accessed the forum in a while. Will definitely get this kicked off though.

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:15 pm

adrianclifford wrote:When I went on it with Dave Morris at the helm, we had the cars lined up in the dry dock and the cars all started from the Middle, because it was pouring with rain, of a car park in the city centre, Cardiff of course.

We finished in a very dodgy hotel in Llandudno.
Almost - not quiet Adrian ;) two events mixed up :roll:

Coast to Coast was my idea originally back in 2006. My idea was to drive the A470 from Cardiff Bay to the seafront in Llandudno and back in one day/night. Dave didn't think much of this, and then set about organising our event with his usual enthusiasm.

2008 was the event in the Oval Basin in Cardiff Bay and the run on Sunday which nearly got rained off and a bit of road sank!!!!!!!! New LE500 was on display, and our visitor from Scandinavia got an award.

Funnily enough, Dave and Andrew came round to see me last week for a meal and we talked about a reunion run for the "oldies".

I'm still hankering about the run up and down the A470 in one go :roll:
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:23 am

Thanks for the clarification Jerry. I remember being sent up to the top of the firemans ladder in the Oval Basin to get pictures of the cars and, of course, the rain. Did it actually stop during the whole weekend.

I didn't remember it being two different events though :oops:
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

sniperpenguin

Post by sniperpenguin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:28 pm

Well, I'm happy to take all ideas on board jerry :) - Happy to PM you my number if you wish...

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:33 pm

sniperpenguin wrote:
ClaraW wrote:I was just talking about this with one of our crew and there is definitely interest down here.

I'll do the same Clara :)

I seem to recall that the start / end points were Cardiff and Llandudno, with the "direction" alternating each time.....
Again, like Adrian's memory, not quiet right ;) :lol:

It was only done once, south to north in 2006 - not repeated.

Several attempts were made for a re-run, but there was little interest at the time.
Starting from Cardiff Bay is best I think, as the A470 starts right on the waters edge in Cardiff bay - what was dockland originally - the pier head. The A 470 wanders all over the place from it's original route, but starts and ends in the right places!

Meeting up with Dave last week, and discussions about an "oldtimers re-union run", may lead somewhere :?

ps: just a thought, I came up with "Coast to Coast, the Long Way Round", a few years ago which involved all the twisty bits we all enjoy, but a stop overnight in Aberystwyth. Not much of the A470 involved - again little interest.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:26 pm

I would qualify for an old-timers I think :thumbsu:

Can we go up the Great Orme next time ?

TimM
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF VVC MY2000

Post by TimM » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:38 pm

Yep Jerry is right - only one Coast to Coast Cardiff to Llandudno - it rained but there were other Welsh events - the Lambusters, the Dambusters and the Mermaid Quay one - it rained. Plus the National weekend a couple of years ago in North Wales.

About time for another although we did do a Brecon weekend as a South East outpost this year as did Yorkshire region and they are going back next year - then there's the midlands Book Club weekend of course

Tim Morris
President MGCC MGF Register
FasTForward Editor; Safety Fast columnist; South East Regional Representative

2000 MGF VVC ; 1981 MGBGT LE; 2006 MG ZR

Fast Jan
Model of Car: Typhoon TF160

Post by Fast Jan » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:05 am

adrianclifford wrote:Thanks for the clarification Jerry. I remember being sent up to the top of the firemans ladder in the Oval Basin to get pictures of the cars and, of course, the rain. Did it actually stop during the whole weekend.
Evidence of said trip up in the hydraulic platform - and also worth noting the (brief!) lack of rain ;)

Coast to Coast would be good, I'd like to do that :thumbsu: The original one was a year before I joined the MG world so I missed out on it.

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:18 pm

Fast Jan wrote:
adrianclifford wrote:Thanks for the clarification Jerry. I remember being sent up to the top of the firemans ladder in the Oval Basin to get pictures of the cars and, of course, the rain. Did it actually stop during the whole weekend.
Evidence of said trip up in the hydraulic platform - and also worth noting the (brief!) lack of rain ;)

Coast to Coast would be good, I'd like to do that :thumbsu: The original one was a year before I joined the MG world so I missed out on it.
Oh look, there's my 4 wheel trailer used to collect the gazebos from MG CC, Abingdon, carry sandbags etc towed behind Diane's R25 :thumbsu:
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

ClaraW

Post by ClaraW » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:27 pm

Sorry been tied up for bit and doesn't look like quieting down any time soon. I will get round to making contact as soon as I am at home long enough to do so. We will definitely get this sorted as there is too much interest not to do so.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:51 pm

Thanks Jan, happy memories of a lovely area we need to return to.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Jan, do you have a date yet ?, we have our events meeting on Sunday where we will set our calendar for the year, we would like to put this one in.

Fast Jan
Model of Car: Typhoon TF160

Post by Fast Jan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:06 am

Sorry Adrian, missed your post until now - nothing planned as yet. Hectic time for myself and also Nigel with his recent house move. Andy and I will get together with Nigel in the new year and have a chat but it may well be one for 2017 rather than 2016.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:52 pm

OK then, we'll be there if we can !