Safety Fast - free & online

The place for all MGF/TF owners in Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk areas.

Moderator: allypally1967

Jonathan Tully
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: MGF Steptronic ('01)

Safety Fast - free & online

Post by Jonathan Tully » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:29 pm

Just noticed that MGCC have published the latest copy of Safety Fast online for free. For anyone who doesn't subscribe here is an opportunity to see what its like.

View the magazine by clicking here.

What do people think about reading it online. Does it work for you?

Is it the environmentally sustainable way forward? (Is that the wrong question to ask in a car forum :lol: ?)

Cheers

Jon
ImageImageImage
Ex(e) MGF Register Regional Representative - East Anglia

Dieter K
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: '99 MGF 1.8i

Re: Safety Fast - free & online

Post by Dieter K » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:27 pm

Not only the latest edition
http://www.yudu.com/search?query=safety+fast

I prefer the paper version though 8-)
MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:21 pm

Jonathan Tully wrote:Just noticed that MGCC have published the latest copy of Safety Fast online for free. For anyone who doesn't subscribe here is an opportunity to see what its like.

View the magazine by clicking here.

What do people think about reading it online. Does it work for you?

Is it the environmentally sustainable way forward? (Is that the wrong question to ask in a car forum :lol: ?)

Cheers

Jon
Give me the magazine in paper form any day Jon!

8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:46 pm

i must be in the minority of liking the electronic verison. Is easy to read and even easier to store (assuming you can have a downloadable version) :thumbsu:

I know printing is expensive & postage too. Harder to prevent copies I know but could make things like FTF a real money earner if the printing is removed from the production cost :D

My only concern is all these free copies. Good to show non members what they are missing but I think I could have got at least 6 out of 12 the copies this year free as they seemed to be on offer at a few of the car shows and even at some of the MGCC race meetings. I like the idea of giving away a copy but think it should be the same one all year round or otherwise I would like a rebate on my membership fee :lol:
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

rogerbusybee
Model of Car: wedgewood se zs110

Post by rogerbusybee » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:51 pm

yes have to agree with you on that Keith......me too :thumbsu:

John W
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGTF 80th Anniversar

Post by John W » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:04 pm

rogerbusybee wrote:yes have to agree with you on that Keith......me too :thumbsu:
Yes count me in also Keith, if this is the 'official' on-line magazine by MGCC we members should get a reduction on our membership!
MG 80th Anniversary TF 1420 of 1600, Colour Starlight Silver

Jonathan Tully

Post by Jonathan Tully » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:58 pm

The MGCC do give away free copies from time to time, as do others like the MGOC, as it is a good way to show people what is on offer. Looking at the other mags on offer they are only highlights.

I get a lot of online magazines through my job, now study online and, far from me not embracing modern technology, I have come to the conclusion that I still prefer a printed magazine / book. For me it just looks better, and I find that I tend to read the articles in more detail, and only scan web-based articles. The thing that really bugs me is that my laptop, as gorgeous as it is, gets a lot of screen glare when sitting outside on a sunny day - a magazine doesn't suffer with that problem :( Where i still have a choice of both online and printed magazines, I find myself reading the printed magazines.

The original news article with the link is here and despite MGCC having a pretty spiffy website I am guessing that a fair few people wouldn't have noticed it. Don't know if that backs up the point above or not :lol:

I think that it would be good for people to have the choice. It would appeal to me to be able to quickly find back issues online, rather than having to root around the cupboard in my study.

I think cost saving would be interesting. However I would fear that there would be costs associated with implementing controls to ensure safe distribution and or prevention of pirated material. I can't think of any online magazines that I couldn't copy / distribute if I had the time and inclination. I would fear a potential reduction in advertising revenue, which would help to subsidise the production costs. Also, I believe (it's been a while since I looked into this and it could have changed), the MGCC would probably have to charge additional VAT for online books / magazine. There will also be increased costs per unit through a reduced production run, as some people will still insist on receiving the printed version. You could then have varied subscription rates, but that would increase administration costs, or have same subscription rates with online readers subsidising printed readers - which may not be politically acceptable. So would it actually produce that much of a saving? Anyway, despite me rabbiting on I am confident that this would have already been considered by MGCC (and all the other car clubs as well). What I think is great is that potentially the option is there, and deep down part of me thinks that it is probably the way forward.

What I think is odd is that, despite the current greenwash from Copenhagen, no-one has mentioned saving the trees :lol:

Great to have peoples feedback - thanks :thumbsu: (and it makes this East Anglia region forum look a bit more busy :lol: )
ImageImageImage

Keith Williams
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:05 am

Jonathan Tully wrote:The original news article with the link is here and despite MGCC having a pretty spiffy website I am guessing that a fair few people wouldn't have noticed it. Don't know if that backs up the point above or not :lol:
Some of us saw it Jon :) viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4222
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

Jonathan Tully

Post by Jonathan Tully » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:38 pm

Keith Williams wrote:
Jonathan Tully wrote:The original news article with the link is here and despite MGCC having a pretty spiffy website I am guessing that a fair few people wouldn't have noticed it. Don't know if that backs up the point above or not :lol:
Some of us saw it Jon :) viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4222
Am now wondering if I subsconciously read your post or missed it Keith :? :roll:
ImageImageImage

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:21 am

I read the mag via your link whilst waiting for my copy to arrive, it has arrived today the 29th December!. I pay extra ( I feel ) way over the top for air delivery and it arrives on the 29th, about the time I would expect the January issue. This is not a one off, but almost a regular occurance. Moan over.
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

Jonathan Tully

Post by Jonathan Tully » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:07 am

Andrew Regens wrote:I read the mag via your link whilst waiting for my copy to arrive, it has arrived today the 29th December!. I pay extra ( I feel ) way over the top for air delivery and it arrives on the 29th, about the time I would expect the January issue. This is not a one off, but almost a regular occurance. Moan over.
That's a long wait Andrew. :thumbsd:

Noticed today that MGOC are putting their current issue online.

I wasn't too impressed with it, there are some tweaks they still need to make for it to be readable IMO. Also shame they will only host the current issue, and still send out the printed one. I don't get the point other than reading it online before it is posted?
ImageImageImage