leak around rear light

An area for the Essex and North East London area group - Essex MGF

Moderator: Michael Murkin

cath's mg
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: MGF

leak around rear light

Post by cath's mg » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Can someone help. Cath and I went to a show in essex in June or July and spoke to someone who had siliconed his rear light to stop water coming in, neither of us can remember who we spoke too :oops:
What i wanted to know was should i put the silicone on the side of the gasket that goes against the light, the side that goes against the bodywork or both :?
We are realy sorry we cant remember who we spoke to but if it was you please let us know or anyone else who has had the same problem and cure :thumbsu:
Many thanks,
Gary & Cath
Cath's car but Gary's plaything :-)

bazessex
MGF Register Region: Essex

Re: leak around rear light

Post by bazessex » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:38 am

Hi,

It could have been me. Having said taht many people resort to silicone to cure a leak. I have really gone to town to cure the leaks into the boot as I got fed up with there always being a puddle there. I removed both rear lights and carefully removed the gaskets. Gave every surface a good clean and washed the gaskets in soapy water and let them dry. I coated both sides of the gasket with lots of silicone and refitted the lights. I also put silicone on every joint in the metal I could see. If you want to meet up to have a look where I have sealed my car let me know. It was worth it as I now have a fully dry boot.

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:16 am

Hi Bazz,
Now we have seen your user I.D. both Cath and I think it might of been you, you told us the safest place to park in the school car park :thumbsu:

Meeting up would be good as i guess you only get one chance to get it watertight, it would be a bugger trying to get the lights out again after the silicone had cured.

I'll PM my mobile number or you can send yours, and we can sort out somewhere to meet up.

Thanks,

Gary & Cath

adrianclifford
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:20 am

Baz lives in Chelmsford, why don't you pop down to one of the Essex Roadsters meetings to meet everybody else.

The next one is on the third Thursday of the month at the Halfway House on the eastbound A127 at the A128 junction, we have another meeting before then, an Anglia Centre Natter at the Ship Inn on the Stock Road, just down from the A12 at Junction 17.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks Adrian,
Cath and I have been meaning to pop down to one of the meetings, but as everything work gets in the way most of the time. When is the Anglia meet at the Ship?

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:34 am

ER meets...1st and 3rd Thursdays at the Dick Turpin pub and the Halfway Hose respectively. Both eastbound on the A127

The Ship is the 2nd Thursday of every month (although Dave and I may leave early this month as we're up at 3am to take the hardtop to Germany).

Really look forward to meeting you both. All meetings are ideal for ladies too, it's not all men kicking tyres (so to speak).
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:29 am

Thanks, I think Cath & I will try to get to the Ship on Thursday, but if we dont manage it this time have a safe trip to Germany :thumbsu:

Dave_T
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF160 Shot Silk

Post by Dave_T » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Gary & Cath,
Hope you are both well.
We last spoke at the Queen Vic car show & you were trying to sort out your water ingress issues, I gave you Steve Tyler's card (the mechanic in southend most of us use around here) are the roof and windows ok now?

Agree with Baz's post clean & apply silicon to both sides of the gasket & the metal seams.

Hope to see you both the ship.

Dave.
Dave T.

05 MY Shot Silk. TF160 (& silly grin whilst driving it!)
MG Car Club Director and MGF Register Committee member

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:38 pm

I must ask, why ?. Unless the frame is bent around the light cluster and therefore allowing water in, the gasket is very thick and should cope. Before being so drastic have you tried putting talcum powder around the area then soaking it, this will tell you where the water is coming from.

bazessex

Post by bazessex » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:02 pm

I will be at the Ship this week so perhaps we could meet up there to compare light clusters. Adrian I agree with you that there should be no problem because the gasket is fairly thick but some cars seem to suffer from leaks more than others. I found most of the water was running in after travelling round the boot rain channel then down through the light.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Yep, it's not uncommon to leak from there, still can't see why with a gasket that thick.

bazessex

Post by bazessex » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:31 pm

I think it could be that there is in places very little plastic for the gasket to sit on. I have tried double gaskets and that was even worse.

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi Adrian,
The water is coming in around the light cluster (bottom right) on the offside. I’m thinking you are right, that there may be a slight dent in the frame somewhere around where the gasket is supposed to seal it, but it is defiantly not obvious to my untrained eye, to be honest I don’t want to take of the nearside light to check as it seems every time I do something like that I cause another problem
I went on Rimmers site and they say their gaskets are 7.5 mm, mine is about 5mm. I have tried putting two gaskets on (about 5mm each), and while this considerably cuts down the water ingress it does not stop it.
Hopefully we can get down to the Ship on Thursday and someone who is a lot more knowledgeable than me (Cath said that wouldn’t be hard) will kindly take a look and advise if it’s a dent or fitting new gaskets will cure it.

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi Dave,
We have not been down to see Steve yet, but put Mike Satur collars on all the hinges, renewed two hinges and pins as they looked a bit worn. I fiddled a bit with the window adjustments again and the best I could achieve has stopped the leaks on the nearside and about 95% on the off side. Cath brought a MS Hood Mate (would recommend to anyone) which she is obsessional about putting on and this has kept the interior bone dry, as well as keeping the soft top clean (mainly from bird crap).
I will defiantly get down to see Steve as the offside door looks very slightly out of line, we are hoping when this is sorted it will cure the rest of the leaks.

We hope to get down to the Ship on Thursday (work permitting).
Thanks again for the card and hope to catch up soon
Gary & Cath

bazessex

Post by bazessex » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:57 am

Been called away today so will not be at meet tonight. Sorry. Dave and Adrian have a good and safe trip. Gary I will call you when I get back and arrange to meet if you still have problems.

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Hi Bazz, thanks for letting us know. Cath & I will still be going to the Ship tonight and will let you know how we get on.
Catch up with you soon,
Gary & Cath.

Scarlet Fever
Model of Car: 1996 MPi F

Post by Scarlet Fever » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Been following this thread with interest - i can answer the gasket issue i think, early Fs had a thinner gasket than later ones - it was changed for a thicker one in an effort to cure leaks. My F had a thin one from the factory (& no grommets in the boot lid, or rubber stops on the boot hinges, but this is another story...) In an effort to cure the leak i bought new gaskets and was given the option at that time of a direct replacement or the new upgraded thicker one. I went with the latter. This and the bootlid grommets was enough to cure my boot leaks, but as Baz says, some people have to resort to additional measures.

The other thing to look for is a cambering of the boot lid. I note that your F has a boot spoiler, not knowing the age of your car (might be a P plate from the photo), but the boot spoiler was a later addition to the accessories range so if your car is a P plate, then it won't have come with the spoiler from the factory, this will have been fitted afterwards. Why is this relevant? Well, a boot spoiler precludes the fitment of the luggage rack, so any F without a spoiler, or any F that didn't come with one from the factory, may well have had a luggage rack fitted at some point in the past. The standard luggage rack has four feet (one on each corner) & a pair of clamps, one on each side, sited centrally. IF these are overtightened, then they pull the bootlid against the feet and this can camber the bootlid away from the rubber seal underneath causing a gap that can leak.

Just a thought.

Finally, if the silicone sealing of the light clusters doesn't work, then the water is coming in elsewhere - a good way to track down the source is to take the carpet out and sprinkle talcum powder in the boot, close the lid and liberally soak the boot with a hose. The water will leave a telltale trail in the talc showing you where it is getting in. Hoover up the dry talc and then mop up the wet stuff with a cloth.
Andrew Phillips

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for your reply. You are correct the MG is on a P plate (1996). :thumbsu:
It looks like there has been a leak through the spoiler mounts previous to Cath getting the MG (a couple of rusty bolts), but this must have been cured as all the water is coming in around the offside light cluster. The boot lid has grommets and stops fitted (I have a feeling this is a replacement).
Unfortunately we were unable to get to the Ship last night to get some advice if the frame itself actually has a slight crease or dent so the gasket won’t fit correctly.
I’m in a bit of a quandary about what to do, as not doubt ample silicone should stop the leak but if for any reason the cluster needs to be removed it will be a right bugger, or do I risk getting an upgraded gasket that still leaks and needs sealing (opinions appreciated)?
I have arranged a trip to British Legends next Saturday to hopefully cure a slight leak through the window, I have tried this myself and although the instruction guide seemed very simple it nearly drove me to drink, so have bitten the bullet and getting the professionals to do it. I will get them to take a look at the light too. :)
We really need to get this sorted now as the poor old girl is not garaged and could do without a dose of pneumonia this winter (car not Cath… oouch). :(