IMPORTANT possible venue change (s)

An area for the Essex and North East London area group - Essex MGF

Moderator: Michael Murkin

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

IMPORTANT possible venue change (s)

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:32 pm

For some time now the numbers have been decreasing at the Halfway House meet, it's not as popular as it had been years ago, in fact I don't like it either and it's been suggested we drop it in favour of either nothing or another pub.

Last night (Sunday) after the ER15 day out several people reported very bad treatment by the pub staff, in fact we were unable to get any food (we went to the Ship instead where Ricky and Rebecca opened everything up for us). The decision was made not to go there again so in fact now neither of our two meets are wanted so we need a decision as to what to do/where to go.

Today I tried to contact Mark by phone but had to leave a message but I did manage to contact Keiron and explained it all to him. He's going to speak to Mark and get back to me with their views.

I have suggested, as a temporary compromise we use (this Thursday) the Carpenters Arms at Rawreth. I'll go there as soon as I can and check with the pub that we can eat there at 7.30/8.00 and see what the place looks like inside.

If anybody has a better suggestion please let us know so we can have something firm by Thursday so please keep an eye of these pages before setting out this Thursday.

I have asked Keiron if he and Mark can make it to give us an idea of their plans for the future as it's rather unclear as to where it's going at the moment.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

adrianclifford

Re: IMPORTANT possible venue change (s)

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:00 pm

I've been to the Carpenters Arms today, it's OK with the landlord (of course), it's small and cosy inside with a number of tables. It all looks clean and tidy with a good range of drinks and food, all of which will be cooked fresh and served within 20 minutes.

It may not be perfect for a permanent site due to it's size and the food is a little dearer than previously but I'm sure it will do for tonight if it's OK with Mark and Keiron.

Keep an eye on this topic and, if accepted, please tell others of the change in venue.

Hopefully Mark and Keiron will make it to discuss the future with us so, if you can make it please do.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:26 pm

Update, sorry to have to keep forwarding messages but Keiron has just sent me a message saying that they are both happy to change the venue if that's what people want. He has suggested Shaw Farm (at South Woodham) one we all know but I think it's big and noisy, maybe not perfect for social chat and eating.

I'm going to look at the Windmill in East Hanningfield as a possible venue for the future.

He hopes to be there this Thursday (the Carpenters) as I've asked if both of them can join us to see where the Roadsters are going.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:11 pm

Dawn's had an idea and we'll check it on Sunday. The Running Mare, The Eagle and the one on the common but I can't remember it's name, all at Galleywood. One minute from the A12 so nice and easy to get to.

Let's see what Mark and Keiron have to say first but at least we need a few ideas to put to them.

Dave_T
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF160 Shot Silk

Post by Dave_T » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:46 pm

The running mare is the sister pub to the Dukes head Billericay which is under the Vintage inn brand (Mitchell & Butler) and they tend to be very expensive, so would suggest checking prices first. :thumbsu:

The Horse & Groom is the pub on the common in Galleywood, but again you may need to check that no other car club meets on the night in question ;)
Dave T.

05 MY Shot Silk. TF160 (& silly grin whilst driving it!)
MG Car Club Director and MGF Register Committee member

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:53 am

OK Dave, will do. Has anybody got any other ideas ?, the feeling is for one close to Wickford/Rayleigh and the other a little further north as far as Chelmsford.

billd

Post by billd » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:24 pm

How about the Thomas Kemble at Runwell, the Derby Digger in Wickford, The Downham Arms, Downham or the Shepherd and Dog, Crays Hill?
Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Dave_T
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF160 Shot Silk

Post by Dave_T » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:34 pm

I would suggest whichever pub/s are chosen, are either on the major main roads or just off.
Personal experience shows that if they are to hard to find or to far of the main roads people won't attend. :(
Dave T.

05 MY Shot Silk. TF160 (& silly grin whilst driving it!)
MG Car Club Director and MGF Register Committee member

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:19 am

Thanks for the ideas, it looks like Dawn and I will be busy over the weekend.

I'll add the Quart Pot and the Toby Carvery both on the Runwell Road to that list, both very accessible and sufficient car parking. I went through Crays Hill yesterday and also noted some on your list Bill.

billd

Post by billd » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:40 am

Hi Adrian,
I didn't put the Quart Pot down because they used to have a quiz night on a Thursday.
Ignor this comment, quiz night is Tuesday and Sunday.
Last edited by billd on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

m9fdb

Post by m9fdb » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:27 pm

There is a Triumph Stag meet at the Old windmill in South Hanningfield tonight - i'm not sure if they are on the first Thursday of the month or not.

Cheers
Darren
I'm a simple man! I like my beer cold, my women hot and my car clean!

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks Darren. Hopefully Mark and Keiron will be at the Carpenters tonight.

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:21 pm

Well I should look at the forum more often, went to Half Way House, no one so went to DT again no one . Well Marlena and I had a nice evening......
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Sorry Andrew, I sent you an e mail via the forum as I didn't have your UK phone number.

As for the Thursday meeting, it was very positive Keiron made it , unfortunately Mark didn't but we're going to investigate new pubs with the view of either selecting two new ones or one permanent and one roving, ie a different one on each third Thursday. We will keep the Essex Roadsters going and time will show what new ideas we have.

So for the time being please keep returning to the forum to find out where we will be.

The Anglia Centre natter that most of us go to in addition will not be affected so the next get together will be next Thursday (10th) at the Ship.

The third Thursday meeting will not be at the Halfway House but at a venue to be announced.

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:27 pm

See you all at The Ship
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.