N.West newbie >>> :)

North Wales, Cheshire & the Wirral

Moderator: redbeard57

merseyside bossman
MGF Register Region: North West

N.West newbie >>> :)

Post by merseyside bossman » Thu May 22, 2008 2:40 pm

Just about to pick up an N plate mgf, 1.8i (non vvc)

Its my mams dream car and where getting it for £1200- (T+Tested)

It has some bubbling to the OSF wing leading edge, and the exhaust is blowning...

Help me out here :) is there anything else I shud be weary of.

AS I dont want to let her down, and buy a dog.

Paul
Wirral

m600von
Model of Car: Tigra sport 1.8

Re: N.West newbie >>> :)

Post by m600von » Fri May 23, 2008 12:52 am

Hi welcome to the north west register..... Im sure someone will be able to answer your questions better than me. I dont come on here much now as i have just sold my tf160 but still visit here from time to time. Im sure your mum will be excited with her new car what part of the wirral are you from? and have you got any pics of it yet? you will find everyone on here is very friendly and helpful with any probs or questions you have. you will find a lot of interesting reading on the site about mgs.

bye for now

enjoy your new car!

merseyside bossman

Post by merseyside bossman » Fri May 23, 2008 6:39 am

I live in Birkenhead, but my mam lives in Moreton

(pics to follow)

Helsbyman
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Sun May 25, 2008 7:00 pm

hi there, well the first thing you should look for is Head Gasket Failer( H G F). The oil will look like cream and the car will not run to well.You should look at the suspention as the wishbones can be v rusty and to replace costs £100 per wishbone £200 to fit. M O Ts I never trust , I know ever body likes not to pay much, but this to me sounds too cheap. are you in the AA or RAC so you can ask them to check it out good luck and wellcome :thumbsu:
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Mark L

Post by Mark L » Mon May 26, 2008 12:00 am

Plenty of 'Buyers Guides' if you have a search, but.......

Other than the usual checks you should make with ANY 2nd hand car, these are a few specific 'F' faults to look out for.....

Above mentioned HGF.

Ride height: should be around 365mm +/- 10mm measured from centre of front wheel to underside of wheel arch (use front ONLY) Very low ride height will affect the cars Geo set up, so check inner front tyre edges for excess wear.

Check: if the cam-belt/s are due, or have been replaced, belts service intervals are 60K miles or 5 years - WHICHEVER comes first.

Test drive: check the steering, ie on a straight level road - below 30mph let go of the wheel and check for the 'pulling to the left' fault, the steering on the F is electric (EPAS) not hydraulic like most cars.

Check all the electrics, ie CL ,windows alarm etc. also lock car with the remote then open the boot lid with the key WITHOUT turning the alarm back off...... if when you open the boot lid the alarm sounds then this could indicate the dodgy boot hinge loom fault as a micro-switch in the boot lock should dis-arm/arm the alarm via the boot lock.

Check for smooth operation of wiper linkage

Check the usual running temperature, ie one notch below half way no matter what the driving conditions.

Check for the usual interior leaks, including boot as lightseals can fail on early models.

Check operation of clutch pedal is not to heavy and has a correct bite point (around 1/2 - 3/4's up) as clutch release arms can start to sieze meaning VERY expensive gearbox removal.

Given the cars age, Radiator and underfloor coolant pipes should have been changed, so check the history for any evidence of this.

Check headlights are nice and bright with a good beam pattern, a dull/dim beam could indicate reflector bowls are US (MOT Fail)

Areas for tin-worm are the front leading edge of wings (which you have seen) area around side repeaters and boot lid seams.

TBH though you are looking at a car thats 12-13 years old so there is a fair chance it will have one-or more of the above faults, however you are unlikely to get perfection for £1200.

merseyside bossman

Post by merseyside bossman » Mon May 26, 2008 9:49 am

Bought it :)

Turns out the 'f' has had an engine change 15 months ago, lucky enough I know the owner of the garage who fitted it.
Called him whilst on the test drive and he assured me it is a pearler. (The engine plus fitting was in the region of £1700)

It does need an exhaust down-pipe which I knew of,so intend to get that done asap.

Mirror covers are really speckled, which I want to have painted to!!!
and the heater fan dial knob has fallen off :)
So there you go.

Keep an eye out for BRG 'F' around the Wirral soon

Paul

Helsbyman
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Mon May 26, 2008 5:36 pm

hi if it is of use i have a back box off a 2004 vvc for sale .. May i also point out and not meaning to step on any ones toes but 4years or 50k mls is the recommended time on some MGFs my alternator belt went at 38k and the car was 3yrs 10 months old
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

PHLEB
Model of Car: 2000 F VVC

Post by PHLEB » Tue May 27, 2008 10:10 pm

Hi

And welcome to the forum. We'll keep an eye out for you then around and about. There are a few of us around the Wirral area that frequent the boards here. I work up at Arrowe Park (so only down the road). Hope to see you (or your Mum) at the next meet in June.

Gordon

merseyside bossman

Post by merseyside bossman » Wed May 28, 2008 6:43 am

What date is the next meet.,

The car is in for the downpipe tomorrow, then its all go.

Where is best to get clear front indicators?

And Borough salvage on Cleveland st, has got a MGF for breaking, its pretty complete (less downpipe ;) )

redbeard57
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MGTF 85th LE, MGF We

Post by redbeard57 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:03 pm

The next meet will be on 19th June at the Fox, however, I am considering the option of looking for a replacement venue maybe on the Wirral as the majority of current membership seem to be from this part of the world.....

merseyside bossman

Post by merseyside bossman » Wed May 28, 2008 3:46 pm

Sounds good, Ive run many Vw meets in the past and the Tudor Rose,near 2 mills is a fine pub. And close to the N.Wales links.

m600von
Model of Car: Tigra sport 1.8

Post by m600von » Wed May 28, 2008 8:26 pm

Sounds a good idea Simon, :D
redbeard57 wrote:The next meet will be on 19th June at the Fox, however, I am considering the option of looking for a replacement venue maybe on the Wirral as the majority of current membership seem to be from this part of the world.....

redbeard57
Regional Rep

Post by redbeard57 » Wed May 28, 2008 9:10 pm

i dare not suggest the TR, I could almost walk there, however, if others like the place who am I to disagree!! :D Lets stick to the Fox for June and we can talk about the options while we are there for the July meeting......
Meanwhile I am off touring to France for a few days I will put the photos on line when I come back :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

PHLEB
Model of Car: 2000 F VVC

Post by PHLEB » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:16 pm

merseyside bossman wrote:What date is the next meet.,

The car is in for the downpipe tomorrow, then its all go.

Where is best to get clear front indicators?

And Borough salvage on Cleveland st, has got a MGF for breaking, its pretty complete (less downpipe ;) )

Best place for clear lights is a breaker or ebay

What year is the one you've looked at in Cleveland street

Phoenix
Model of Car: '98 MGF VVC

Post by Phoenix » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:45 am

redbeard57 wrote:i dare not suggest the TR, I could almost walk there
Both me and my friend live 3 mins from the TR. He's recently aquired a beautiful TF160, is eager to hit the dark side and would love to come and see some other cars! It'd be good to meet some peeps. Are there usually people of all ages at the meetings? :D

redbeard57
Regional Rep

Post by redbeard57 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:56 am

it is a mix of ages.....but this month (15th June) we are still at the stretton fox, so please come and join us there

Phoenix
Model of Car: '98 MGF VVC

Post by Phoenix » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:32 pm

redbeard57 wrote:The next meet will be on 19th June at the Fox, however, I am considering the option of looking for a replacement venue maybe on the Wirral as the majority of current membership seem to be from this part of the world.....
redbeard57 wrote:it is a mix of ages.....but this month (15th June) we are still at the stretton fox, so please come and join us there
15th or 19th!?

redbeard57
Regional Rep

Post by redbeard57 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:25 am

sorry, looking at the wrong month......19th!!