Loose Rotor Arm

North Wales, Cheshire & the Wirral

Moderator: redbeard57

SimonT
MGF Register Region: North West

Loose Rotor Arm

Post by SimonT » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:50 pm

Whilst out yesterday in the rain, my P reg 1.8 MGF started to miss then cut out. after pulling up safely i checked out the engine compartment/boot when i seen smoke coming from bottom of boot i looked under to find that the Heatshield had started to glow and was on fire and had set fire to the rubber gromets in boot, swiftly put out with water from a nearby puddle. Once recovered by AA who told me it would probably be the coil pack. Today i started to check out problem the engine would only turn a few seconds then stop, i removed the distributor cap to find that the Rotor Arm had come loose and broken inside with the retaining bolt totally unscrewed (New Cap and Rotor Ordered). My Exhaust System is a MAGNEX Stainless Steel with Quad Outlets. The only thing i can put the fire down to is due to the missfireing causing excessive heat, has anyone else had a similar problem ? No real damage done except for heat shield and gromets :D

SimonT

Re: Loose Rotor Arm

Post by SimonT » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:07 pm

All Done smooth as silk. was easier and less expensive than i thought :D

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum - sounds nasty but pleased you've sorted it - it may be worth getting the cat checked as they don't like too much unburnt fuel or getting too hot.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

SimonT

Post by SimonT » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:44 pm

Thanks James, only got it in August i was looking for month's once i got the Bug and do not regret it for one moment. Had a great few week's of sun now can't wait till next year. :)

SimonT

Post by SimonT » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:47 pm

And will get Cat checked as soon as i can