Next years holiday

North Wales, Cheshire & the Wirral

Moderator: redbeard57

simonrouse12
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i vvc

Next years holiday

Post by simonrouse12 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:35 pm

:D Hello everyone, I've just booked my next years holiday up your way for me and my son Jack. It's in tipton which is just outside Brampton which is close to Carlisle. I know the roads are great up there, but are there any you would especially recommend.Cheers Simon :thumbsu:

Mark L
MGF Register Region: North West

Re: Next years holiday

Post by Mark L » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:33 pm

simonrouse12 wrote::D Hello everyone, I've just booked my next years holiday up your way for me and my son Jack. It's in tipton which is just outside Brampton which is close to Carlisle. I know the roads are great up there, but are there any you would especially recommend.Cheers Simon :thumbsu:
Can't comment on the roads around Carlisle but given you are not far from 'the Lakes' I would think there would be one or two 'interesting' drives...

Can give you plenty of fantastic roads in North-Wales if you fancy a little detour on your way up/down though.. :)

gareth

Post by gareth » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:40 pm

A686 from Penrith to Hexham

If you fancy a good half day - A592 from Rheghed (on the A66 just west of Penrith) past Ullswater to Windermere, across the lake on the ferry to Coniston, carry on to Broughton, take the Ulpha road to Eskdale. Up to Wasdale head, back to Gosforth, A595 to Calderbridge, Cold Fell road to Ennerdale, take any of the back roads from around the north of ennerdale over Whinlatter into Keswick, A591 to Ambleside, then take the fell road back to the A592 past Ullswater to where you started.

Then of course theres Wrynose and Hardknott (Best to do it both ways turning round in Boot), and the Langdale "round" from Skelwith Bridge.

It's like an MG - but Blue.

redbeard57
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MGTF 85th LE, MGF We

Post by redbeard57 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:00 pm

having just returned from the run over the hardknott and wryedale passes i would agree wholeheartedly with gareths comments.....also while you are up there take the route over the top of shap