Lazy tourist

North Wales, Cheshire & the Wirral

Moderator: redbeard57

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Lazy tourist

Post by Charless » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:08 pm

This June self and Mrs want to spend a couple of days wending our way from Tenby to the lake district but seeing unmissable views, F'able roads and some important bits of Wales en route, with a second night stopover somewhere( any recommended F friendly hotels/B&Bs incl the Tenby night?).
This is a couple of days in dawdle mode, can you residents suggest any 'must-sees' to enhance our route planning please? Thanks,
Charles

Fletch29
MGF Register Region: North Wales

Re: Lazy tourist

Post by Fletch29 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:16 am

Hi, North Wales has some stunning roads and views. Route I am suggesting covers main roads but if you have time to spare the yellow road options are very satisfying and usually very quiet (apart from the odd tractor , of course!)
From Tenby, head for Cardigan A478 then A475 Lampeter. (The alternative coast main road is boring unless you use the lanes to get near to what is quite an interesting coast. )
From Lampeter A482 to Aberaeron - good place to stop for food/drinks.
A487 to Aberystwyth. Recommended B&B accommodation near is Mrs E Jones at AWEL DEG 01970880681. She is approx 6 miles from Aberystwyth on the A44. Good spot to see the Red Kites near here, also Devil's Bridge is worth a look, if you're fit.
From Aber A487 to Machynlleth, then a choice ; A493 back down the estuary to Aberdovey, Tywyn and up to Dolgellau (you can cut off a bit of this route by using the toll bridgenear Penmaenpool) or follow A487 direct to Dolgellau.
A496 to Barmouth, the view back up the estuary from the railway/footbridge at Barmouth is one of the best in Wales.
From Barmouth A496 towards Harlech.
Recommended acc
The Old Farmhouse, Daffryn Ardudwy 01341242711(they do have a website) Owner has some interesting cars, including an old Riley and a Lotus when I was last there. Other attractions are an outdoor heated pool and a Hot tub. Both have great views of the coast.
Follow 496 up to Blaenau Ffestiniog, A470 to Betws-y-coed.
From Betwsy you have a choice either the A5 to Llangollen (and a run over the Horseshoe Pass) or up the Conwy Valley to Conwy and LLandudno and A55 to Chester (or avoid Chester by joining M56 near Queensferry.)

I have used all the routes over the last few years, very enjoyable but at weekends watch out for the mad bikers who never expect anybody else to be on the same road as them and Mr Chief Plod who seems to have the use of a vast number of "Arrive Alive" mobile photo shops!

Enjoy , Mike
PS My proof reader has gone to bed so forgive any typos

Charless

Post by Charless » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:07 am

Thanks Mike, half the fun is in the planning - lots of homework there!

sniperpenguin
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by sniperpenguin » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:51 pm

Snowdon roads are a thing to behold, and on a good day you can see for miles :D

Also, head towards Betws Y Coed where youll find a nice tourist stop and great roads in all directions....
'53 MGTF 135 Monogram Lagoon
'54 MGTF 115 Monogram Biomorphic (Work in Progress!)
Coloured seatbelts here - http://www.facebook.com/mgbelts

geoff
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by geoff » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:41 am

Lazy tourist

From Betwsy you might take a look at the A543 Pentrefoelas - Denbigh road.

Once past Manchester, if you take the M6, come off at Junction 31 for the A59 head for Skipton.

Then take the B6160 Kettlewell, Buckden and Aysgarth (River scene Robin Hood Prince of Thieves) then A684 Hawes, Sedbergh and then onto Kendal and the Lakes.

Places to stay

http://www.watermillinn.co.uk/

Never stayed but eaten there several times, taken family and friends and never been disappointed with either the food or the beer, very popular but out of the main centres, so might not be what you want.

Perfect dawdle mode roads plenty of views and watering holes.

Just suggestions, enjoy your trip.

Charless

Post by Charless » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:20 pm

Geoff and sniperP - thank you - your efforts very much appreciated!

Helsbyman
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:52 am

hello there when you are on the A5 there is a side road for NEBO if you take this road it comes back on to the A5 but you might enjoy this route it is just past Llanrwst and rejoins A5 at pentrefoelas then A 543 denbigh ( and moor) or stay on A5 as far as the A494 take this for 1ml or so come off for A5104 this is also a biker road twists and turns down hill (watch for camera at PONTBODKIN) then all the way to Q/ferry new road here A550(A5117) all the way to M56/M6 none stop
if you go Horseshoe pass you can get to the A5104 via A542
HAVE A GOOD ONE WHICH EVER WAY :sf: :thumbsu:
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Fletch29
MGF Register Region: North Wales

Post by Fletch29 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:33 pm

I fully endorse the comments about the Nebo road, really spectacular views and a great driving road. I can recommend the Stag at Llangernyw great food (and cheap if you are over a certain age) and very interesting bits and pieces hanging around in the bar. Next to the Stag is what is reputed to be the oldest living thing in Wales, a 4000 yar old Yew tree. Mike

Helsbyman
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:52 am

I hope he notices all this extra info :)
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Charless

Post by Charless » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:03 pm

Sorry chaps (you caught me being lazy) - yes I have now and thanks! - the event is still a couple of months away and my gaze has been somewhat closer to the present. I'll let you know how it goes/went in June but meantime thank you all.

Charless

Post by Charless » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:36 pm

All that kind advice seems yonks ago.
Sadly to report, like the rest of the country this year, work has been a bit 'funny' of late, so we didn't go away for the break in June. It is still a bit scarey, but the trip is a possible for late September now. Thanks for all your input and I hadn't forgotten....
If that fails then I store it for next year!
At least we now have a choice of suitable vehicles to do it in!

Charless

Post by Charless » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:16 am

Finally got around to doing this - a year late, the weather looking abit dickey, different F and starting from the North this wednesday. Thanks again for all the help and advice, we are really looking forward to it!

sniperpenguin
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by sniperpenguin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:28 pm

Give me a call before you head out..... maybe I can ttray you to a drink! :D
'53 MGTF 135 Monogram Lagoon
'54 MGTF 115 Monogram Biomorphic (Work in Progress!)
Coloured seatbelts here - http://www.facebook.com/mgbelts

Charless

Post by Charless » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:39 am

Thanks for the offer and previous advice, following which we passed close to Rhos on wednesday lunchish and went up to Betwys y Coed, Capel Curig,Porthmadog and ultimately Barmouth. We weren't wildly impressed with the last two, but found un uncharacteristically great hotel in Barmouth called Tyr Graig Castle!
Now home taming the garden.