http://woemgf.mgfregister.org
The area of Somerset & Dorset.

Moderators: Jo from Somerset, nigelandjo

paulbeecham
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: Trophy 160 LE

Free Hydrolastic pump up

Post by paulbeecham » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:17 pm

Hi all, not sure if anyone offers this but it got me thinking that some local group members might want to have their MGF pumped up from time to time but it being a real pain if you don't have the kit. Having just retired I have some time on my hands and would like to offer a free pump up service. (any fluid required at your expense) I recently cobbled together some relatively inexpensive parts to make a hydrolastic pumping system whilst rebuilding my Trophy. It seemed to me that the most important part was a Schrader low loss connector valve so I got one from the USA at less than half the cost of one purchased here, bargain!
Please see some pics of my home made hydrolastic pumping system made out of a Draper hydraulic pump (from a body repair kit), a very cheap set of Ebay HVAC gauges £12, Silverline vac pump (£15) low loss Schrader connector (£27) plus various misc. connectors (£25)
The offer is a come to me basis or other arrangements can be made for systems that are not roadworthy at cost.
Cheers Paul
Attachments
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG

John SS
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Re: Free Hydrolastic pump up

Post by John SS » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:47 am

That's a kind offer for people nearby.
Could you post a, 'how to' for making the pump?
Why do you need the gauges? I never use the pressure gauge on my eBay pump, just work to the required ride height.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:49 pm

Thanks Paul, that's a very kind offer, it's a shame you are three hours away.

Do you have a link for the low loss Schrader connector as I need one to repair my pump.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

paulbeecham

Post by paulbeecham » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:55 pm

John SS wrote:That's a kind offer for people nearby.
Could you post a, 'how to' for making the pump?
Why do you need the gauges? I never use the pressure gauge on my eBay pump, just work to the required ride height.
Hi John, I was looking for an easy way to switch between VAC and pump modes with out resulting to separate valves or swapping pipes over. The cheap refrigeration gauges lend them selves quite nicely for this all in one unit with the added bonus of vac and pressure gauges built in.
As you say a pressure gauge is not absolutely necessary as you measure the ride height but it is a useful guide to see what the system pressure is and very nice if your running individuals as it lets you see height V pressure etc.
I will put a " how to" together in due course.

paulbeecham

Post by paulbeecham » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:00 pm

talkingcars wrote:Thanks Paul, that's a very kind offer, it's a shame you are three hours away.

Do you have a link for the low loss Schrader connector as I need one to repair my pump.

James
Hi James, please see the Ebay link for the LLC. It took about 5 weeks to arrive from the USA but well worth it as it's a quality item at a good price.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NO-LOSS-AIR-C ... 1991820273?
Cheers.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:29 am

Thanks for the offer Paul. There's a couple of local members with F's so hopefully they will take you up on the offer when required.
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

stevied
Model of Car: 1.8 VVC

Post by stevied » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:28 pm

Hi Paul, I might just take you up on your offer as I have been told on the forum that mine looks a bit low. Where is Eastertown? I am in Bristol.

John SS
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by John SS » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:51 am

stevied wrote:Hi Paul, I might just take you up on your offer as I have been told on the forum that mine looks a bit low. Where is Eastertown? I am in Bristol.
You can check the ride height with a tape measure see - http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/su ... wering.htm

paulbeecham

Post by paulbeecham » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:09 am

Hi Stevied, no problem my house is the first house on the left as you turn in to Eastertown road if coming from M5 J22 BOS exit, just send me a message or email and we can sort some thing out.
Cheers
Paul.