In a bit of a panic, any good advice or offers please?

http://woemgf.mgfregister.org
The area of Somerset & Dorset.

Moderators: Jo from Somerset, nigelandjo

NellieJane
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

In a bit of a panic, any good advice or offers please?

Post by NellieJane » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:07 pm

My gorgeous green metallic MGF (1999 1.8i vvc) has seen much better days I’m afraid. I looked after her with much dedication, waxed her and loved her for 8 years and she was immaculate! Unfortunately and very sadly, she suffered damage in an accident whilst my son was borrowing her, a year or so ago (not too bad and luckily my boy was absolutely fine...hitting railings down one side after losing it on a roundabout). Since then she’s awaited a few body parts... a bonnet, rear wing, bumpers, two new alloys (they are the six round spoke 16” Abingdon; one I replaced via eBay (£50-£100 in good condition) has turned out to be cool blue, not silver, as I ordered and wanted. Unfortunately, I opened it long after I’d bought it, so couldn’t return it. Nonetheless, it could be sold on). No insurance claim was undertaken by the way. I was excited to be able to get her fixed, however, because I live in the centre of Wimborne with no parking, she’s been kept locally at a friends. Big problem...not long ago, they moved away. So she moved, under her own steam, to a private car park in town. On a SORN. However, now resident cars are being turfed out because the council are taking it over! And I only have a week or so to sort this out! Having spent considerable time and effort in trying to find somewhere else, either free or within my budget (not much!), I am now totally stuck with a car I love and can’t do anything with because I have nowhere to put her. I desperately want to keep her, but I’ve now had to get my head around the options of either scrapping, hence I took the plate off, or to trying to sell as she is. As I mentioned, I believe she’s a very worthy project. But then love makes us do crazy things!! I hope there’s someone else out there like me...she’s got an immaculate interior, lovely black leather seats, steering wheel and gear leaver, plus other chrome extras inside and out, including, in perfect condition chrome luggage rack complete with mgf suitcase, lovely original carpets, practically full service history. Also, T66 MGF no. plate for sale...another has been assigned to the vehicle. The black vinyl roof and rear screen are in great condition, except for a clean as she’s been sat under a tree. The bonnet wasn’t heavily damaged, but has a paint issue and is mottled for some reason. She drives straight, no wheel wobble, and no engine issues at all, ever, except for head gasket replacement sometime ago...I had a really good and expensive job done to help prevent a repeat! Less than 57K on the clock. Two previous owners. Obviously she needs a service and mot. The shocks need sorting out or replacing too, as she’s dropped. My son wasn’t sure if these broke, or something like that, adding to him losing control in the accident. Apologies for the lack of knowledge or any incorrect terminology! I always keep her active where she is, ie turn her over and she starts every time without throttle, also roll her on her wheels. Any suggestions please, offers of help, offers to buy...parts or as a whole, space and time, to a desperate lady owner, please let me know? Many thanks in advance, Helen :) photos to follow, if anyone is interested.

hammond
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: VVC Freestyle

Re: In a bit of a panic, any good advice or offers please?

Post by hammond » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:10 pm

PM sent.
Shame there's no way of you keeping her. Do you need long term storage or are you using car?
Is it a long term project you want to continue with?

NellieJane

Post by NellieJane » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Finances are not great at the moment, but in an ideal world, I'd have somewhere free, or very cheap, where I can work on her over time...which is what I really want to do. It wouldn't need to be locked up. Or somewhere until I move and can house her myself... But that could be a couple of years! However if her existing parts are worth anything then maybe somewhere where I can break it until she's ready for the scrap heap! I hate the thought but at least I'd be able to buy myself a new car. Thanks for asking! Do you know somewhere... or anyone I could speak with?

NellieJane

Post by NellieJane » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:00 pm

Hi again..Sorry, she's on a SORN by the way so not using her.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:26 am

Any nearby farmers who would store the car for you until you are able to get it repaired? It sounds as though the suspension needs pumping up which is why the car is sat low.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

NellieJane

Post by NellieJane » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:22 pm

Many thanks Nigel.... the suspension was only pumped up a few years ago so not sure what’s happened there? Could this have happened in the accident maybe? Good idea regarding the farmers...and I’ll have a go.. although I’m starting to worry now because my finances have taken a knock and it’s likely to take a very long time to get round to fixing her. Thinking I should advertise the interior and other good parts quickly now then scrap. :cry:

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum

Sorry to read about you dilemma.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com