MG mad

A place for the North East Region.

Moderator: Committee Members

Tallman
MGF Register Region: North East

MG mad

Post by Tallman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:40 am

Armed with so many negative reviews on MG ZR's, I've only gone and bought a 1.8 120 5dr. It's a 2006 with 48,000 on the clock, must be one of the very last out of the shop I suppose.
However, the MGF still has pride of place in the garage though, now fitted with K&N filter and a heat shield, sounds wicked through the gears, but still retains a degree of decorum when cruising.
Looking forward to picking up the ZR and giving the old rust proof treatment before it disintergrates. Copious amounts of waxoyl and stonechip paint seem to do the job.
Took the MGF to bits to preserve it and get everything protected. It's amazing how much muck gets behind the wheel arch liners and potentially eats into the metal.
Two MG's to play with now.

ericmgf1
Model of Car: Mgf

Re: MG mad

Post by ericmgf1 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:53 pm

i agree about the muck behind the wheel arch liners…just replaced my front wings and got 2 buckets of topsoil free from behind the mud flaps!

Tallman

Post by Tallman » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:28 pm

The mud was dry and had been nicely layering over the last 17 years. It was a good 6 inches high and Time Team would have had a field day examing it. The liners come off fairly easy, so I'd recommend to everyone taking them off occasionally and de-mucking the mud traps. I then gave the underside the old waxoyl treatment before putting the liners back on. TLC.

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Yes had mine off twice now first time v mucky second not too bad :thumbsu:
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:59 pm

Tallman wrote:Armed with so many negative reviews on MG ZR's.
?

Good cars, my wifes 160 is more reliable than our (hers) F.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Tallman

Post by Tallman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:26 am

Day one in the MG ZR household and the engine management light came on. She's still running okay but it puts a dampner on the purchase.
There's also a noise from the nsf which I could be a bearing but it sounds more like low rumble and seems to come and go ??? Methinks it's an investigative job for next week when I'm off work.
Spent yesterday detecting rattles, one which was the parcel shelf bouncing around, now secured with two rubber adhesive strips on the tailgate.
I hope these are just teething problems cus I really like the car and want to have faith in it. :|

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:55 pm

On all 3 of our zeds the engine management light came on within days of purchase and then went, I suspect it was the ECU getting used to the new driving style and thinking something was wrong.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com