Another new MGF owner in Yorkshire

The area north and east of the county.

Moderator: Yorkshire Shrimper

mal7921
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by mal7921 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:36 pm

Just a quick hello from a proud owner of a silver facelift MGF here in West Yorkshire. As I've had issues with the head gaskets on an old Rover 414 in the past, the first thing I've done is get the car in for a new head gasket and timing belt, that way I know the work has been done and I know the milage it was done at.

One thing about this car that seems unusual is that it has been converted to run on LPG, which means there is no spare, but also means cheaper fuel for those little local runs about town. The thing I'd like to know is has anyone else had or heard of this being done? If so are there any additional considerations to be aware of in addition to keeping coolant levels up and maintaining the engine at regular intervals? The engine seems to run fine whichever fuel you use, and I have to admire whoever did the conversion as the LPG filler is in a place where it's not that noticeable, unless you know it is there.

The car itself was an impulse buy, I'd just been made redundant when it arrived in the car sales forecourt, and after 2 months I found another job and had enough redundancy money left to buy the car (with more spare which is set aside for the moment). I have to admit that even though I've only done around 60 miles in it so far, both myself and my partner both love the car, in fact she's hoping to take it with her on a short break with a friend of hers in a few months rather than use her micra.

Anyhow, here we are with what I can only describe as a fun future classic, hopefully with many more miles left to run.

Dingbat
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF 160 Sprint

Re: Another new MGF owner in Yorkshire

Post by Dingbat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi, and welcome to the world of MGF motoring.

I had my Saab converted to LPG earlier this year, and love the experience of filling up at 74p a litre. Don't expect to get the usual 40 odd MPG though - more like 32 - 35 on LPG. The guys who fitted mine recommend a gas system service every 10,000 miles, but it only takes half an hour or so.

I'm interested to hear that this has been done on a MGF, but mine doesn't do enough miles to justify the conversion costs.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new car.

HTH

Brian
Brian Dingsdale
TF 160 Sprint, VHS Dampers, glass rear window, B&G low coolant alarm, Mud flaps, rear light protectors, Powdercoated and polybushed subframes (Royal Blue). Stainless coolant pipes. Braided brake hoses. Greasable clutch release arm.

Mykel
    Regional Rep
    MGF Register Region: Europe
    Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Re: Another new MGF owner in Yorkshire

Post by Mykel » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:33 pm

I had seen an LPG converted F at the mgf.be stand in Waalwijk (NL) at the British Auto Jumble. Maybe get into contact with them, either via their web site or PM ErikB or Kasper on this forum.

Mykel
    MGTF:
    2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
    MGZR:
    2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
    Classic:
    1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
    MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

mal7921
    MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by mal7921 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:17 pm

Hello again and thank you for the welcome and comments. The conversion seems ok, though the impression I have with it, besides the slight loss of power is that the engine runs a little smoother on its more natural tipple. Still we shall see how it does once it's back from its maintenance trip.

one nice surprise, the boot was bigger than I expected so Becky is hoping to take it with her when she goes on a short camping trip with her friend Betsy in September, should be enough for them, small tent and 2 nights clothing, just not sure they will have enough room for all the food they usually take! Then again, not sure my citroen c5 would accommodate that either.

Back with the MGF and the conversion, the LPG filler point is located on the lower section of the bumper behind the back wheel, so unless you know it is there you don't notice it. Makes filling the LPG tank interesting as your almost kneeling on the floor to attach the pump!

I'm not planning to use this as a day to day car, besides the insurance won't let me anyway, so the LPG and the unleaded may well last a long time between fill ups. My plan is to use it on the tax it currently has on it, them do some jobs on it while it's SORN and bring it back to life in the spring next year, so are there any tips on leaving the car standing for any length of time? Anything I should be aware of? Quite new to the MGF, though I do have some experience with the K series engines, both good and bad.