1914 -18 Great War Commemoration Tour

Europe wide chat.

Moderator: Committee Members

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Re: 1914 -18 Great War Commemoration Tour

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:59 am

Clive called me last night (chairman on the MGCCB) and suggested the same thing. I will also ask our local MG dealership if they hire out 3's or 6's as they often use them as courtesy vehicles for cars in for repairs/servicing.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:24 pm

To keep this relevant I have started a similar thread in the European section where, hopefully it will continue and flourish.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Be aware that it is highly likely that a UK Hire Car CANNOT be taken abroad. I would suggest that this be checked.
Geoff F.

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:18 pm

Geoff.F wrote:Be aware that it is highly likely that a UK Hire Car CANNOT be taken abroad. I would suggest that this be checked.
Geoff F.
Now that's a very good point Geoff :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Mgwanderer
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 1.8 MPI

Post by Mgwanderer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:09 pm

colintf wrote:
Geoff.F wrote:Be aware that it is highly likely that a UK Hire Car CANNOT be taken abroad. I would suggest that this be checked.
Geoff F.
That's exactly what I am doing (email sent on Friday to the hire companies but they are not very quick in responding), it is just a question of green card insurance and that will be much less than hiring an MGB at the quoted prices. As long as the hire company is aware of the requirements I am sure that they can make arrangements.

Regards

Clive
MG's are a sickness not an addiction

Only their owners know this though

terreneuve
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by terreneuve » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:47 am

Mgwanderer wrote:
colintf wrote:
Geoff F.
That's exactly what I am doing (email sent on Friday to the hire companies but they are not very quick in responding), it is just a question of green card insurance and that will be much less than hiring an MGB at the quoted prices. As long as the hire company is aware of the requirements I am sure that they can make arrangements.

Regards

Clive
What is "green card" insurance???

John

Mgwanderer
Model of Car: 1.8 MPI

Post by Mgwanderer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:47 am

Green card insurance is called so because that is the colour of the certificate when you have insurance here in Europe. It used to also be the colour of the certificate you got when you informed your uk insurance you were going abroad (but that was many years ago ) but I don't know if its still the same.

Clive
MG's are a sickness not an addiction

Only their owners know this though

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:58 am

No longer supplied by a green card, but it is still colloquially known as a green card! :lol:

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:25 am

You don't even need to inform your insurance company nowadays. We take the TF over 7 or 8 times a year and as long as you are in the EU or Scandinavia there is no need. We had to get a visa for the TF when we went into Montenegro in 2011 though.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:12 pm

The Compulsory 3rd Party Insurance in an EEC Country is valid for the whole of the EU plus some other countries such as Switzerland.
The Comprehensive part of the Insurance may or maynot automaticaly cover the EEC. Our MGF,Astra and Fiat 500 are full EEC whilst our local runabout Clio is not. Check your policy very closely. It may also state a time limit for cover.
Whilst the Green Card is no longer used in EEC, it is required in some neighbouring countries.
Geoff F.

colintf

Post by colintf » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:45 pm

May not be needed but I always tell my insurance company when taking one overseas 8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

mgfsoldier
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Post by mgfsoldier » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:58 pm

Signed up just need to pay now.

mgfsoldier
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Post by mgfsoldier » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:41 pm

Looking at extending our Euro batlefield tour by doing Cambrai on the Friday to pay respect to the first Tankies and view the area of my regiments main battle honour.

Barred
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Barred » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:23 pm

Geoff F.
Old info that used to be the case but now there is little restriction. I often take hire cars abroad (Hertz) the only thing you need is a letter from the company for permission (so you have to tell them) and you are responsible for meeting the in country requirements. Triangle, Hi-Vis vest, bulb kits etc...

Borrowing an MG3/6 sounds like a good idea - I wonder if you could swing a 48 hours test drive.
Do not invert, contents liable to spill.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:41 am

Barred wrote:
Geoff F.
Old info that used to be the case but now there is little restriction. I often take hire cars abroad (Hertz) the only thing you need is a letter from the company for permission (so you have to tell them) and you are responsible for meeting the in country requirements. Triangle, Hi-Vis vest, bulb kits etc...
Actually current !!
May be I should have added " and see if you can make special arrangements" Some do and some do'nt. Do not assume that you are covered.2
I carried a Hertz Corporate Card which I used for Rental/Lease Worldwide with no Restrictions however cheaper local Rentals from Birmingham Airport are Restricted.
Geoff F.

Barred
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Barred » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:47 am

Geoff.F wrote:
Barred wrote:
Geoff F.
Actually current !!
May be I should have added " and see if you can make special arrangements" Some do and some do'nt. Do not assume that you are covered.2
I carried a Hertz Corporate Card which I used for Rental/Lease Worldwide with no Restrictions however cheaper local Rentals from Birmingham Airport are Restricted.
Geoff F.
Bows to your better knowledge :) I guess I've just been lucky in the past and they have all agreed.
Do not invert, contents liable to spill.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:04 pm

I'm having a bit of a battle with the Floreal resort at the moment, they originally quoted €154.80 for the three nights (which I have sent back in defence) as they have now sent an invoice for €202.50. It's a bit embarrassing when you tell your friends one price and it appears different later. Let's see what they say when they reply.

Pete & Lin
Regional Rep
Model of Car: 2001 1.8i

Post by Pete & Lin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:27 pm

adrianclifford wrote:I'm having a bit of a battle with the Floreal resort at the moment, they originally quoted €154.80 for the three nights (which I have sent back in defence) as they have now sent an invoice for €202.50. It's a bit embarrassing when you tell your friends one price and it appears different later. Let's see what they say when they reply.
Just got our quote and its £271 for the three nights.

Pete
MGF Register Regional Rep. for Devon & Cornwall

MGF MK2 1.8i - Old English White
MGZS SUV - Dynamic Red

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MGFDandC

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:53 pm

Blimey, this event does sound interesting! I have posted the date and link on the German forum's event list for 2014, unfortunately there is a date clash with Klaus's MG Worms Awakening Tour, I'm afraid. For me it's more or less the same distance to go, so I still have to make up my mind ...
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

colintf