goldenwheels final european tour, ''THE GROND 200R''

Europe wide chat.

Moderator: Committee Members

himself
MGF Register Region: Europe

goldenwheels final european tour, ''THE GROND 200R''

Post by himself » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:17 am

DC and i have been planning this tour for about a year and in 10 days it's going to happen :D . we will be visiting all the places we have always wanted to visit but never got around to and some places we wanted to return to. ;)
as we have met and made many friends from ' the mainland' this may be an opertunity to 'drive ' with them on their home ground :thumbsu: . i have posted our our route and diary and if anyone is available it would be great to 'run' :twisted: with you.

Sunday 7th September Honfleur

Monday 8th September Poitiers France

Tuesday 9th September Saint Leons France

Wednesday 10th September Nice France

Thursday 11th September Alice Bel Colle (Alessandria), Italy

Friday 12th September Modena Italy

Saturday 13th September Valdidentro, Italy

Sunday 14th September Lindau am Bodensee Germany

Monday 15th September Auderath Germany

Tuesday 16th September Auderath Germany

Wednesday 17th September Auderath Germany

Thursday 18th September Mechelen Belgium

we will visit the normande beaches ..>down to lemans and run the track..> and quiet time visit to oradour sur glane....>down to the millau bridge ...>monaco and up to the col de turini...> down to modena...> over stelvio...> thro germany doing some tracks and car factories on the way . the 'ring for 3 nights at a great hotel owned by lovely people...> down through luxembourg through the ardennes and up to mechelen and the hotel carolus for a few final beers with some friends then home to be put out to pasture like a old retired horse :cry: :cry: :cry:

anyone want to join us ?????
3500 miles of dreams......

hope to see you there.....

goldenwheels :thumbsu:

ppo
Regional Rep

Re: goldenwheels final european tour, ''THE GROND 200R''

Post by ppo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:41 am

When will you bee in Luxembourg ?

himself

Post by himself » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:12 pm

ppo wrote:When will you bee in Luxembourg ?
...> on thursday 18/9 it is our plan to leave Hotel Wilhelmshöhe, Wilhelmshöhe 4 Auderath 56766 Germany at about 8.30 and head down to the lux border and down through luxembourg through the ardennes and up to mechelen and the hotel carolus for a few final beers with some friends are you available if so we can give you our contact numbers and if we get yours we can tell you our detailed route .....unless you have a better one ?? :D

ppo
Regional Rep

Post by ppo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:14 pm

But the direct route won't even get you through the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg. From Prüm you'll go to St. Vith and up to Liège for getting to Mechelen. Driving through the north of the Grand-Duchy will be a detour.
I suppose, you're mixing up the "Province du Luxembourg" which is the southernmost province of Belgium ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxembourg_(Belgium) ) and the "Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Duchy_of_Luxembourg ), which is a different country and has nothing to do with Belgium.

DavidT6DCM
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: MGTF 160

Post by DavidT6DCM » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:51 pm

Superb stuff,have a really great trip both :thumbsu: Dave

himself

Post by himself » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:08 am

ppo wrote:But the direct route won't even get you through the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg. From Prüm you'll go to St. Vith and up to Liège for getting to Mechelen. Driving through the north of the Grand-Duchy will be a detour.
I suppose, you're mixing up the "Province du Luxembourg" which is the southernmost province of Belgium ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxembourg_(Belgium) ) and the "Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Duchy_of_Luxembourg ), which is a different country and has nothing to do with Belgium.

you are right but as 'older respected gentle folk we retain the right of confusion :thumbsu: as i said ...do you have a better way . we are always open to advice?? :D

our only reemit is to get to 'the carolus to meet with the .be friends for 18.00

gw

himself

Post by himself » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:14 am

DavidT6DCM wrote:Superb stuff,have a really great trip both :thumbsu: Dave
david and i agree, only the year long planning and expense of cancelation ( you know what the scots are famous for :thumbsd: ) have prevented us joining you on the second most popular venue :o ...the welsh weekend :D :D along with your happy band :roll: , but as david said , thats for 2009 :thumbsu: .
see you then david ;)

gerryh

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Post by David Clelland » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:31 pm

ppo wrote:But the direct route won't even get you through the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg. From Prüm you'll go to St. Vith and up to Liège for getting to Mechelen. Driving through the north of the Grand-Duchy will be a detour.
Anything under about 800 miles is a "wee run" for us. As Gerry says, as long as we're in Mechelen for tea anything is possible :D

ppo
Regional Rep

Post by ppo » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:17 pm

If you would intend to stay for 1 night in the Grand-Duchy, Claude (Roadstergate) and I can manage to pass you some routes out of our Tour-de-Lux collection. But this won't be possible as you'll meet with the Belgians at 6PM. Also the detour for getting to Luxembourg will be too important for just filling up at a petrol station. Unfortunately you'll have to stay on the direct route.
In this area of Belgium, I don't know any good road, or should I say, a road in good condition for an MG, besides the motorways. The Belgians talk much about roadwork, but their plans never come to life. ;)

Some interesting places will be:
- the Abbey of Orval
- the circuit of Spa Francorchamps (unfortunately not open for public driving)
- The Cave of Han (Grottes de Han)
- Bastogne
- the dam of La Gileppe (Barrage de la Gileppe)