Breakdown cover for extended French trip?

Europe wide chat.

Moderator: Committee Members

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Breakdown cover for extended French trip?

Post by Plezier » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:17 am

As we will heading over to France on an extended trip 3 months at least probably more my RAC cover is no use. Can anyone suggest where to get suitable cover please?

We are taking the Rover 75 Classic SE CDTAuto (2002) not sure if we are taking the trailer or not as yet.

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Re: Breakdown cover for extended French trip?

Post by Mykel » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:57 am

From the RAC website:

“You can buy Basic single trip cover for up to five days. Comprehensive single trip cover is available for up to 180 consecutive days. Annual Comprehensive provides cover for one year but each journey must not exceed the maximum period of up to 90 days.”

I guess you’re on the annual plan, maybe best give them a call how to upgrade to the 180 days single trip cover?
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:27 pm

Thank you the RAC chappie I spoke to knew nothing about this and said they would not be able to help...Time to speak to someone who knows their offerings better methinks. The Rover 75 CDT is actually insured through the RAC as well.

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Re: RE: Re: Breakdown cover for extended French trip?

Post by ashleyfrazer » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:41 am

Plezier wrote:Thank you the RAC chappie I spoke to knew nothing about this and said they would not be able to help...Time to speak to someone who knows their offerings better methinks. The Rover 75 CDT is actually insured through the RAC as well.
Hi. Very few if any will cover vehicles over 10 years old if the cost of repatriation is more than the value of the car. Of course they might offer a repair service. Ash

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:56 pm

There is a comparison site for European breakdown cover, just don't ask me the address.

Most UK companies offering such cover seem to work through one company, IIRC it is Zurich insurance, so the service is much the same through most of them with what the actually cover beyond breakdown cover being the difference.

Just because you have insurance with the RAC unfortunately you won't get any better cover, just a discount so may well still be more than some companies. The only time we had to use breakdown cover we had insured with the RAC, the service from the local garage was appalling and resulted in a complaint.

It is worth taking out the cover as soon as you can, if it is long enough before the crossing they will cover you from home to the port.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:43 pm

Thank you I will be speaking to a few more companies this coming week about this.

Green Squirrel
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 1996 1.8i

Post by Green Squirrel » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:42 am

Age UK covered our 1996 MGF for overseas breakdown and recovery at a very reasonable cost!