MGF in Borneo

MGFs were sold throughout the world - not just in the UK and Europe. This section is for those MG fans!

Moderator: Committee Members

DaveInBorneo
MGF Register Region: Asia
Model of Car: MGF 1996

MGF in Borneo

Post by DaveInBorneo » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:25 pm

I'm one of a very few MGF owners in Borneo. Since buying my MGF from a mate last year, I've spotted only one other MGF in Brunei. Also one V8 MG, I'm not sure of the model. I'm sure the Sultan has a few MG's in his palace underground garage. My car is a pretty good example, previously owned by a Canadian doctor. I'm a teacher from Brisbane and have been here for ten years.
The good thing about Brunei, cheap fuel @ 50c/litre, cheap labour for car repairs and registering a car on, $40 a year, insurance $100. On the down side, no parts available for MG Rover here in SE Asia. Thank goodness for Rimmers and UPS to fly in the bits and pieces I need to restore this fine example of British automotive engineering.

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: MGF in Borneo

Post by colintf » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi and welcome Dave
8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:53 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:09 am

Hi Dave,

Your parts supply is not much different to mine in Sydney. Over the last few years I have done major repairs on my Mk2 MGF
and I have found it much better to get parts via my computer from Rimmers and B&G than I have from most of the Australian
'suppliers'. Even this week I was quoted $185 for a used rear track rod and from Rimmers a NEW one is $142 delivered to Sydney!

Same thing when I needed a flywheel ring gear, local bloke wanted about $350 for a used one and a new one from B&G was less than $100 and I got it heat shrunk on and flywheel refaced for about $50 at local engine shop.

So all in all I feel you lose nothing by being in a country with no MG parts. So long as UPS go there then you are fine.

Secky
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Asia
Model of Car: '98 MGF mk1

Post by Secky » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:57 pm

Hello Dave-san,

Welcome to the forum. Here in Japan, Vehicle tax is getting increase year by year. F owners should pay about $400 for the tax annually :(