Hello Aussie MG fans!

MGFs were sold throughout the world - not just in the UK and Europe. This section is for those MG fans!

Moderator: Committee Members

WhatKatyDoes
MGF Register Region: Western Australia

Hello Aussie MG fans!

Post by WhatKatyDoes » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:58 pm

Hello there,

Thought I'd better introduce myself seeing as a newbie that's been browsing this forum for a while....

I'm a Pom living in the SW of West Aus. My father owned an MGB and handed down the bug though I have never owned one. I have however cut my teeth on basic vehicle maintenence with my very first car (don't laugh) - a superb little '88 Fiat 126 BIS, and later with a fantastic '79 VW Type 3 Fastback.
However, my hubby and I are looking into the possibility of treating ourselves to an F, so with any luck we might be proud owners soon if we can find a good one in WA! We think we'd prefer not to go VVC (although would consider one), and are rather hoping for a 2001 onwards with the lowest kms we can find, hopefully service history and we'd rather not have British Racing Green... Not too picky at all!! :lol:

If anyone knows of any and could point us in the right direction, we would really appreciate the advice. All the Perth garages that advertise MG servicing laughed at me when I called them and asked what advice they could offer when looking for an F; the most popular response was "don't". But we certainly shan't let that put us off ;)

Great forum, looking forward to getting to know you all soon!

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Re: Hello Aussie MG fans!

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:15 pm

Hi Katy, welcome to our forum, get in touch with Peter Robinson, our rep for WA. He's based in Perth west.australia@mgfregister.org he'll help you I'm sure, he's a great guy.

Enjoy looking, I'm sure the right car is out there waiting for you, can you consider an early TF, they start in 2002 ?
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

WhatKatyDoes
MGF Register Region: Western Australia

Post by WhatKatyDoes » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:25 pm

Hello Adrian,

Thank you ever so much, I shall email Peter in the morning. I'm guessing that Peter is the chap with the stunning TF in olive black.... His is a beautiful car. I'm not quite as well versed in the TF, so forgive me if I'm hideously wrong, but your looks rather similar Adrian - are they perhaps car twins?

We would of course consider a TF, though I never see them available in WA and I've been on the lookout for a few months plus those I've seen in the Eastern States are all out of our price range.

The most surprising thing I have found is the price difference over here. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw how much F's and TF's are here. It seems to be almost cheaper to buy in the UK and import. Our budget would certainly accomodate a TF in the UK, but here we can only really consider an F.

That's fine though; I've always been one for a challenge, plus I like to collect things, so I have this idea that if we can find one, I'll start my search for rear hydragas spheres right away in the hope that I'll find spares to have on hand ready for when the time comes...!

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Sat May 01, 2010 1:28 pm

Be very carefull about trying to import an F/TF from the UK as you will have to get it ADR'd to Australian specs. The cars in the UK may not have ABS, Power Steering, Air Cond then you have to get it certified to ADR standards, pay GST and import duty plus freight. One other thing RUST I have yet to see an F in the Eastern states with any, just read the threads here about the dreaded tin worm. Save your money and by localy.
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Sat May 01, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi and welcome

8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Dan

Post by Dan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:43 am

Hi,

Just a quick hi to all the aussie MG owners out there. Am in (usually but not today!) sunny Queensland.

Best wishes for great xmas.

BTW- are there many QLD mg owners out there ? I am considering joining the MG club in brisbane..

daniel

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:46 am

There are plenty of MG owners in Queensland and in fact they travel, with the Nat Meet to South Australia this year they took out the main trophy. So go along to there meetings www.mgccq.org.au
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.