Ist Speed event of the year

MGFs were sold throughout the world - not just in the UK and Europe. This section is for those MG fans!

Moderator: Committee Members

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Ist Speed event of the year

Post by Andrew Regens » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:34 am

After what seemed a very long wait our first speed event for the year was on the 19th a twilight one.
Racing started at 5.00pm, but with very inclement weather we were offered the option of cancelling with out the circut charging us, this was put to the vote and I think 100% were positive for. The only draw back is the tracks front straight is used for drag races and the stuff they spray the wheels with for extra grip, sticks like sxxxt to a blanket in the dry BUT in the wet it's like walking on an ice rink. So when taking the last corner on to the main straight witches hats were laid out so that the middle part of the drag strip was used until the end of the quarter mile where it went back to the normal track.
After a few four flying lap sessions ( some in the dark) my clutch hydralics started to play up( clutch slave cyclinder we think) and I could not change gear. Upon returning to the pits I could just manage forward but reverse was almost imposble to engage without a lot of noise!!. As the scoring for the event was going to be your fastest lap plus your best time on the standing quarter I decided to try and get the car home before I could not change gear at all. My last time some three years ago (SQ) I managed a 15.6 so I was hoping to beat that as I have done a few minor mods since, but instead I slunked of home. As I left early I don't have any results for the F/TF's but they should be up there.
Our next event is a motorkhana ( 17th Feb ) this also doubles for a pratice session before our MG National Meeting. I enjoy motokahna when I rember the paterns, but it's not the same as a super sprint!.
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Re: Ist Speed event of the year

Post by Andrew Regens » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:18 am

Well after bleeding the clutch system on the Monday the pedal was just the same as I drove it home. Today I had a clutch slave cylinder kit installled as we could not find any other problems with the system and this is the only part it could be after the pipe broke between the slave cylinder and gearbox late last year again at a race track.
Looking at my times, I am more than happy as I was lying second and holding out a very well driven TF160. The final score being a total of your fastest lap plus best standing quarter time, I ended out of the overall points as I could not complete the S.Q., going on previous times I feel that I could have still held of the TF, well I can dream !!!.
Whilst the car was in the workshop they fixed up the air conditioning pipe that fractured and developed a slow leek when I fitted the brake servo mounting bracket, at last cold air on demand, so am ready to tackle any thing.
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.