Something for the USA Crowd

MGFs were sold throughout the world - not just in the UK and Europe. This section is for those MG fans!

Moderator: Committee Members

Rich in Vancouver
MGF Register Region: Canada

Something for the USA Crowd

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:36 am

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Re: Something for the USA Crowd

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:35 am

Yep Rich, I knew that. I wonder if Bill Gates has an 80LE ?/

Did you notice how good the pictures were ?...................until you got to the 80LE which wasn't even an 80LE after all and it was lined up in front of dustbins in a suburban street :rant: :rant: :rant:
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Rich in Vancouver

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:33 pm

At least it was there!
To most American auto writers all MG's have wire wheels and the engines in the wrong end!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:22 pm

At least it's a nice colour (or should that be 'color'? ;))

verofan
MGF Register Region: United States of America
Model of Car: 1995 non VVC

Post by verofan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:05 pm

The show and display clause could be useful for importing MGF number seven into the States if we can indeed prove that it is the earliest example remaining in private ownership.

However, as the article correctly states one still has to deal with the EPA. We know that the MGF easily passes the Ontario provincial emissions test (albeit a bit high on NOx), but the problem is that in order to satisfy the EPA one has to contract with an importer sanctioned by the EPA, thus the process is potentially very costly.

The whole situation is ridiculous.

Would that the US government had put as much effort into determining why certain flight school students did not want to learn how to take off & land as they have into harassing automotive enthusiasts, many, many lives might have been saved!

Rich in Vancouver

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:03 pm

I find our 15 year rule (your 25 year rule) frustrating. It does little to protect the domestic auto industry, and forces us to bring in older,
more polluting, potentially less safe cars. I would have loved to bring in a Trophy or a special edition MGF/TF rather than my MPi, but I will take what I can get and plan to get a lot of enjoyment out of my MGF. I may upgrade to a Trophy when they are eligible for import.

Cheers,
Rich