Spotted in Vancouver!

MGFs were sold throughout the world - not just in the UK and Europe. This section is for those MG fans!

Moderator: Committee Members

Rich in Vancouver
MGF Register Region: Canada

Spotted in Vancouver!

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:10 am

Yesterday I had my MGF out on a short trip to have a safety inspection done (failed! :( ) and in the short time on the road my car was spotted and posted on a local enthusiast site. http://www.revscene.net/forums/sick-car ... 2p172.html
Even more interesting, in the last couple of days a US registered TF was also spotted on Vancouver's streets.
Two F/TF's in town...Whouda thunk it? :thumbsu:

Cheers,
Rich

MartinW
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: LE500, MG6GT, MGB GT

Re: Spotted in Vancouver!

Post by MartinW » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:54 am

A US registered TF? How does that work, would it be a limited time period import? Or built from parts?
MartinW
No longer a TF owner...sad times :(

MaddAussie
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF160

Post by MaddAussie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:52 am

I was thinking the same Martin...

My IP is banned from that site!
TF160 - Bilstiens, Mike Satur 4-2-1, Sports Cat, Quad Daytona, Z and F Tuning Phase 2 Remap showing 177Bhp @ Janspeed RR day and a Big Grin :D (oh and a glass rear screen and bits of shiny stuff) 85th suspension bits to fit!

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:38 am

Probably the poor chap got caught on this issue in the States and is now desparately seeking refuge in BC :lol:
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

MartinW
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: LE500, MG6GT, MGB GT

Post by MartinW » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:20 am

Took a look at the link, the F and TF not only look small against all the Canadian traffic, but they do stand out, nice one, Rich. It's always such a pleasure seeing a Brit car in foreign places. I was treated once to a ride out in Seattle one evening in a rhd 1960s Mini Countryman, a great memory.
MartinW
No longer a TF owner...sad times :(

Rich in Vancouver

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:36 pm

Seattle is a nice city Martin. I will be there in late July for "The Western Washington All British Field Meet"
The ABFM is a 500 car meet held at a local community college and is now being run by a member of the
MGCC North West (USA) Centre. One of the features this year will be celebrating the 80th anniversary of the MGCC.
It`s an interesting event with mostly vintage British cars and a contingent of modern exotics such as Astons, Bentleys, and be-winged Ariel Atoms, many owned by`Microsoft millionaires.`The Microsoft campus is just a few miles from the event site.
As for the TF, there are a few in the USA legally due to a loophole in their regs that allows only the 80th anniversary edition to be imported, albeit at great expense. I understand some `parts cars`as well. Unfortunately there is no safe harbour in Canada for illegal US cars. If anything the regulations in Canada are tighter than in the US.

Cheers,
Rich

terreneuve

Post by terreneuve » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:53 pm

Rich,

That TF looks like a Mexican Plated car.

What did they fail your car on? I had a hell of a time when I tried to get my F inspected in Van.

My next F arrives April 11th!!

Rich in Vancouver

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:04 am

The fail was all legitimate items, and he was quite thorough. It didn't help that a brake line blew on the way to the test. :o
Needless to say I have to replace the rear brake lines, a bent left rear suspension link (The adjustable one), a front subframe mount and some suspension bushings. As mentioned they were all legitimate safety issues so I'm not too upset about it, other than not being able to drive the car yet.
He also pointed out that my coolant pipes are shot. They are so rusty I really don't know how they are holding together!.
I got confirmation from Rimmers that my SS coolant pipes are in transit along with a pile of fasteners to replace the rusty ones on the suspension.
The subframe mounts and suspension are already coming from E-Bay sellers, and a set of poly bushings are on their way from Moto Build.
It will be brake lines on Saturday with the rest to follow when the bits get here.
I really want to get the car on the road by the 15th in time for the first British Car Show of the season.

Cheers,
Rich

terreneuve

Post by terreneuve » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:24 am

In Van they wanted me to install a interlock so the car could not be started w/o the clutch depressed - can you believe that!! MGF's never had that feature!
Even though the airbag light went out once the car started they didn't like the fact the light stayed on a little longer than most - rubbish really.

Hope you get the car ready - it would be a shame not to have it ready!!

Good luck!
John

Rich in Vancouver

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:44 am

That's really odd. I've never heard of those requirements.
If you need another car inspected in Vancouver I can recommend my guy.The shop knows MGs (They are doing a V8 conversion on an MGB right now)and are very thorough, but realistic.
They are in Richmond.

Cheers,
Rich

terreneuve

Post by terreneuve » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:59 am

Hey Rich,

That TF is still in Vancouver. Dan saw it downtown on Friday!!!

Rich in Vancouver

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:55 pm

Interesting!
There is another MGF passing through town from Japan this week on it's way to Vancouver Island.