Brexit

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Brexit

Post by Andrew Regens » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:46 am

Know that the pound has dropped, Parts and cars should be a lot cheaper for us colonials !!!!
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Re: Brexit

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:57 am

They'll be so cheap in Europe now, it would be criminal not to buy a couple.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

willyphixitt
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2006(reg) TF135

Post by willyphixitt » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:49 pm

Blimey Andrew,

You're quick off the block. Got a direct line to Boris Johnson and the rest of the Brexit team? So the UK has its first non-EU trade deal in the bag!!

willyphixitt

XYZ
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by XYZ » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:18 pm

;)
Last edited by XYZ on Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:17 am

Andrew Regens wrote:Know that the pound has dropped, Parts and cars should be a lot cheaper for us colonials !!!!
You can have mine cheap the way I feel right now, what's the point of having a British car designed and built in Britain by British workers if you no longer are proud to be British.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

John Ponting
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: MG Motor TF LE500 20

Post by John Ponting » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:09 am

Maybe we should now stop waving to other MGs just because they were Made In Britain?

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:32 am

In the mid seventies I had to get my British passport stamped with, the holder has "the right to abode in the United Kingdom" until such time as the UK had EU passports...........
If all goes according to plan i'll be able to keep my EU passport as I was born in Scotland!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only British car still made is a Morgan all the rest are Chinese, German or French...........
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:25 am

John Ponting wrote:Maybe we should now stop waving to other MGs just because they were Made In Britain?
I was referring to xenophobia.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

Barbour
Model of Car: 2002 TF 135 LEF PUU

Post by Barbour » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:44 pm

Kicking this oldie because, well.. 2 weeks notice, right?

Edit: apparently not, this is becoming a bad joke altogether

I loved driving my F through the countryside last October, collecting parts here and there, visiting friends scattered all over England. I hope visiting you lot won't become difficult in the future, it all feels kind of strange these days.

I hope things will turn out for the best, and I'll be able to travel the UK with my oldest son. One of his wishes is he can go to the UK with his old man next time, in the MG, visiting our friends again, driving on the wrong side over those lovely twisty back roads.
Last edited by Barbour on Thu May 02, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers!

Safety fast, S3XY, Born from jets...

Xpower grey 2002 MG-TF 135 SP CP
Steel grey 2003 Ford Mondeo Estate Centennial
Blue 2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Anthracite 1998 MG-F 1.8 Mpi (sold)
Silver 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate (sold)

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:08 pm

We normally have at least one driving holiday in Europe every year, this year we will be flying every time.

BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:23 pm

Brexit? That's the thing that means that for two years the politicians haven't had to answer questions about how they're running the country? And now they've voted to string it out longer?

I'm much more interested in talking about driving holidays. Why do people do it? Just so they have a car at the other end? I'd like to take the F down to the Mediterranean or Pyrenees - strike that, I'd like to have it to drive when I got there - but the hours and hours of motorway driving don't sound fun.

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:10 am

Andrew Regens wrote:The only British car still made is a Morgan all the rest are Chinese, German or French...........
Even Morgan is no longer British, I read in the paper today that Morgan has been sold to venture capitalists.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

CubMG
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 2001 MGF

Post by CubMG » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:52 am

The Morgan family still own a lot of shares , the company that has invested in them is the same one that invested in Aston Martin ,and they seem to be doing ok .On a brighter note the pound is a lot stronger against the Euro at the moment 8-) .
I will have to start getting the F ready for the trip to Le Mans in June .I would like to get the spheres regassed first and now there is some one who has the factory Dunlop recharging rig who will recharge them for £27 each. :D
Mondeo Ghia with Zetec S bodykit ,MGF mk 2 ,Morris Minor Bikes C90mg ,Piaggio Xevo +4 others :?

Reckless Rat
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:21 am

The secret to European motoring holidays is to try and avoid motorways whenever possible. Granted, there are times when you have to but in such cases I always plan to have a shorter day behind the wheel and be able to park up for the day/night by early afternoon and chill out. I'm fortunate in that living near the south coast of France it takes me a lot less time to get to places as I can do Spain, Italy or Switzerland in less than 4 hours. A few years ago we went to Italy in the F and had an overnighter in Sestri Levant, then three days in Rome and then a trip further south to Pompeii and the Amalfi coast for a further 3 days, stopping off in Portofino on the way back up. I've just got back from a few days on the Côte d'Azur, but then that's only 3hrs from here.

Now is the best time, because if you wait until high summer everybody and their mothers are on holiday, everywhere is busy and prices are silly. Not only that but you will very quickly tire of driving top down when it's 30°C or hotter.

Take the back roads and enjoy the scenery. Sometimes you'll come across a little town or village somewhere off the beaten track which you'll find far more pleasant that the big places.

Brexit? Moi je m'en fou!