Hello all

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

Tr7s-too
MGF Register Region: South Wales

Hello all

Post by Tr7s-too » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:21 pm

Hi there.
Just a quick hello from a new mgf owner. In fact collected it Friday and had a weekend down weymouth to give it a quick shake down. I live in South wales.
So far it showed up a non working radio, the boot open light flashing all the time, the alarm randomly goes off. Linked to The boot open problem possibly, and the steering seems very vague, any help with any of the named issues much appreciated.
Car is an x plate f. Apart from the above so far is behaving and looks very nice. Pictures to follow once I get a chance.
Lastly what manuals do you guys recomend?
Sorry for all the questions on my first post.!
Dave... :D

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Re: Hello all

Post by Keith Williams » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:34 pm

Welcome to the MGF Register forum :-)

May be worth checking the wires on the left side of the rear boot as these sometimes break within the outer sheaving and cause strange electrical problems which may be your boot light/alarm issues.

They did not do a Haynes manual for the F/TF. The MGF workshop manual can be found on our online shop. There is also a MGF/TF Restoration manual available. http://www.mgfregister.org/shop/12-books
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:56 pm

Hello and welcome to the Forum.
You may find your vague steering is caused by the front tyres being at too high a pressure. I find the best pressures are: 26lbs Front and 34lbs Rear.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

Tr7s-too

Post by Tr7s-too » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:58 pm

Thanks for that. Will give it a look over on weekend.

Tr7s-too

Post by Tr7s-too » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:15 pm

Well had a quick look at car today. Radio turned out to be a few dodgy wires which has blown the fuse. Had a wiggle of the rear wiring cluster and so far boot open light seems to of gone off..... Not tested alarm yet..... rear screen needs replacing but it's not the riveted in separate item so not sure how to tackle that yet. The mini disc multichannel it had fitted was removed. Now have a conventional CD player in. One thing I did find by guess under steering column were two wiring plugs single wire to each not connected to anything so will have to buy manuals soon to see what I'm looking at. Just check the tyre pressures next to see if that helps the vague steering. Still need to get a few photos up on here too...... Watch this space....

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:46 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Check out the tyres, the F is very picky about it's tyres, mine came with very good condition Pirelli P6000's but it was hairy at anything over 65. I fitted some Toyo T1rs and she is happy flat out on the German Autobahn.

There is a reprint of the official MG/Rover workshop manual available, either new through one of the owners club or used through your favourite auction site. There is a separate electrical manual IIRC.

The engine is covered by the Haynes MGZR manual and the Haynes Metro/100 manual covers much of the suspension and electrical system with a bit of poetic licence. There are also plenty of how to guides on the internet including some at the T-Bar (link below).

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Heironymous
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Mk 2

Post by Heironymous » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:52 am

Boot open light on. I had this, very annoying, turned out to be a fuse. Check them.
Heironymous
MG: you'll never be rich, but you'll always be happy :thumbsu:
(Most of the time)

Tr7s-too

Post by Tr7s-too » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:32 pm

So far fiddled with wiring look and it is now out.
As for tyre pressures. Checked today 32 front and....wait for it..... 16 rear! So adjusted them. Off for a run later to see if it handles a bit better.....