Mug

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

yimpkinwoody
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Mug

Post by yimpkinwoody » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:36 pm

Hi all, I broke all the rules when I bought my MGF VVC. No history, no MOT, failed on brakes (an easy fix) and emissions. I thought the emissions would be easy to sort as the exhaust had a blown gasket. Not so, but I am enjoying tinkering with it and have no regrets.
Reg number is T647NLC if anyone knows the car. And its history.
I used to be a mechanic before a mental breakdown destroyed my confidence, so the MG is a therapy project in retirement.
I live in Dorchester-on-Thames, about seven miles from the old Abingdon MG factory. Hope to have it on the road soon, then you can greet me by saying Hi Mug. It would have been more sensible and cheaper to have paid the extra for a sorted car, but the I never was sensible.
Regards to all Woody.

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Re: Mug

Post by Bazzajay » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:32 am

Hello, and welcome. Being sensible all the time can be quite boring, and it would appear that you are already enjoying being an MGF owner. It will be interesting to see how things progress.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:08 pm

Welcome to the MGF Register Forum.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:48 am

Hi and welcome to the forum

What were the readings on the emissions?

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

jonny69
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: freestyle

Post by jonny69 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:53 pm

Hi and welcome

yimpkinwoody

Post by yimpkinwoody » Fri May 21, 2021 10:03 pm

Thanks guys. The emission problems are not straight forward. The cat had no internals. Replaced the cat and gaskets, still high co and high idle. Would not rev past 5500rpm. Replaced coils, leads and plugs, cam sensor, temp sensor. After some research, checked alignment on vvc solenoids, replaced control shaft and solenoid's. I have a spare hcu but am unsure how its timed to the control shaft. (That confidence problem again). There is a strong smell of petrol at idle, so I will get the injectors serviced and try again. If I can get an mot I can take it to get it put on a T4 and see what that says.
I have a Pscan, but am still learning how to use it. Yes, I have been throwing parts at it, but I have enjoyed tinkering with it, and its done my mentaal health the world of good. £600 for the car, and probably the same in bits, but no regrets. All good fun.

jonny69
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: freestyle

Post by jonny69 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:24 am

yimpkinwoody wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 10:03 pm
Thanks guys. The emission problems are not straight forward. The cat had no internals. Replaced the cat and gaskets, still high co and high idle. Would not rev past 5500rpm. Replaced coils, leads and plugs, cam sensor, temp sensor. After some research, checked alignment on vvc solenoids, replaced control shaft and solenoid's. I have a spare hcu but am unsure how its timed to the control shaft. (That confidence problem again). There is a strong smell of petrol at idle, so I will get the injectors serviced and try again. If I can get an mot I can take it to get it put on a T4 and see what that says.
I have a Pscan, but am still learning how to use it. Yes, I have been throwing parts at it, but I have enjoyed tinkering with it, and its done my mentaal health the world of good. £600 for the car, and probably the same in bits, but no regrets. All good fun.
Glad your enjoying working through the problems. I find working on vehicles helps my mental health as well, i find it's a time to think of nothing else and forget about everything

yimpkinwoody

Post by yimpkinwoody » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:01 pm

To prove I am some sort of mug, I have just bought another MG. A superb MGTF 1.6. It was too good to pass by. On the road and enjoying the sunshine!

I am keeping the VVC, (cannot let it beat me), and when sorted may take it to some "MG's on track" days and have fun.

Regards to all, Woody. (the Mug!).

yimpkinwoody

Post by yimpkinwoody » Fri May 27, 2022 10:36 pm

Hi all, ended up taking the car to "Just Right Autos at Witney" they found air was leaking into the inlet manifold via a pattern part stepper motor, The cam timing was correct on the front belt, but out a tooth on the rear VVC belt, and the ox sensor was a pattern part and the ECU did not like it.
Thanks guys, money well spent. I should have found these problems myself, but I live and do not learn!

Went like the clappers on the way home, passed the MOT, and will tax it on the 1st. I have got some good second hand wings to replace the rusty ones, so its a rolling restoration and hopefully some track days. I am keeping the 1.6 as a Sunday best.

A chap I know remarked that I was wasting money with two MG's, then I pointed that a clutch and service on his Maserati cost more than I had spent in total on my two MG's. MGF/TF's are an absolute bargain when it comes to fun.
Best Wishes Woody.

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Post by EllsoJo » Sat May 28, 2022 8:10 am

Delighted to hear that you now have the problems on your VVC sorted, and Just Right Autos clearly know what they are doing, as there were 3 problems to correct, as I understand your Friday May 27th post. If I ever have problems with my TF in your Parish, I will use them to sort it out.

In your first post April2021, you said "Reg number is T647NLC if anyone knows the car. And its history." As a member of the F register, you can get a free Certificate with all details, including date and exact time your car left the production line. I think when you register your car, this service is offered. You have to be a member of MGCC to join.

EllsoJo

Post by EllsoJo » Sat May 28, 2022 10:52 pm

Further to my message above, the info. about how to get a data cert. for your car can be found by clicking on "Board Index" then "Announcements" and under Topics, about 3 items down, Keith Williams has posted an item titled "Car Data Certificates". His main message is: "please email your MG Car Club membership number and the 6 final digits of your VIN number to our new Registrar via registrar@mgfregister.org
The certificates will be free of charge to MGCC members and once created, we will email a copy out to you."

I think you have to Register your MGF/TF first, but perhaps I got that wrong. Anyway, I received my (digital) cert very quickly.

yimpkinwoody

Post by yimpkinwoody » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:49 pm

Hi guys, well I had the vvc out for a track day at Abingdon airfield. I had a lot of fun. I only passed one car, and that was when he spun! but what the heck. I kept the rev's down to 6,000 as the cam belt needs replacing, but the car ran well all day. I did over 100 miles so I certanly got my moneys worth. The front tyres started to tear up, so I shot into Abingdon and Merit tyres replaced them. Thanks guys. I could not afford Brigestones, so they fitted Cooper tyres. I did not know anything about this brand, But they gripped realy well and showed little wear. A chap with a V8 powered Westfield remarked that his tyres cost more than my car yet I was having just as much fun. Everyone was friendly, and nobody looked down thier noses at my little MG. Organised by "Motorsport Events LTD". Cars have to be road legal and MOTd. Out and out race cars are banned.

yimpkinwoody

Post by yimpkinwoody » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:02 pm

Well guys, I am definetly a mug, as I have just bought a 3rd MGF. The vvc blew its hydrogas displacers. Then I heard of a vvc for sale cheap that had a Mike Satur suspension kit fitted. The seller listed a load of faults, Alarm, Doors not shutting properly, poor paint and so on. I bought it over the phone to get the suspension kit, thinking would break it. I collected it in the dark, and drove 116 miles home. Went well. In daylight the car looked fine. The window glass stops were broken, stopping the doors shutting properly, and setting the alarm off. The n/s wing paint was poor, but the rest was fine. It blew a coolant hose a few days later, but I still think I had a bargin. I am servicing it and working my way through the faults most of which just need a bit of fussing and fettling.
I still need to sort my original VVC, cannot bear to break it. I have been given a set of almost new TF suspension units that were removed to fit a comfort fit set so I will look for a set of TF subframes. The harsh ride will not matter on the track. My son's wife drew up a plan with mesurements showing how many MGF's would fit in the garden. Retired now so plenty of time. Just as well, as I would not have time to go to work.

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Notanumber » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:29 pm

How are you getting on with the 3x Fs ?

yimpkinwoody

Post by yimpkinwoody » Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:10 pm

Getting on fine with the 3 MG's,
Did Bedford autodrome with MG's On Track, myself and son had a brilliant time thrashing the first MG round the track.
Got to fit 4 pot brake callipers and a Mike Satur coil spring suspension kit before the next Track Day. I may be 74, but MG's on track beats the hell out of sitting in a retirment flat waiting to to die.
If you have ever dreamed of being a racing driver, give MG's on track a go. Not that expensive, especialy if two of you share a car, and you will still get plenty of track time. Every one is friendly and helpfull, and no one cares who is fastest or slowest.

Regards to all, Woody.

EllsoJo

Post by EllsoJo » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:45 am

You mentioned: "My son's wife drew up a plan with mesurements showing how many MGF's would fit in the garden." That definitely earns her a special mention in your will! Something like "XXX inherits my entire MG collection of cars and spare parts"!

mgb281
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by mgb281 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:00 am

Every owner should do at least one MGOT event, like you we found everyone friendly when we went to Castle Coombe, we will definitely go to at least one this year. We drive on Exmoor quite a bit on some good driving roads, a friend whose husband is an ex road traffic officer told us that is where the police go when they feel the need to "test" a car! Unless you extend these cars you unaware of their capabilities.

Adrian.mg

Post by Adrian.mg » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:51 am

Had MGFs and TFs on and off since 1998, so no idea why it's taken me so long to join the Register, but here now. Bought my first MG (MGB Roadster in 1973, and have had 18 MGs since, including 3 MGFs and 3 TFs.
Current MGs: 1959 MGA Roadster, 1973 MGB GTV8, 1981 Midget 1500, 2002 MGF Trophy.
I think it's in the blood, or the DNA or something, just got to live with it...