SLK out MGF in!

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

LemonCello
MGF Register Region: South Wales

SLK out MGF in!

Post by LemonCello » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:18 pm

Hi folks,

I owned an SLK for a couple of months and had persistent engine mgt light issues so it went back to the dealer for a full refund! Did I want to spend another 5K on a wknd car? no so what soft top to buy now? I looked at a couple of MX-5's but a friend of mine is a huge Rover Group fan an pointed me in the MGF direction. So, I've recently scored a 2000 Wedgewood SE for very little money really. It belonged to a commonwealth games 800m runner here in South Wales and due to his sponsor car the F has been in his dad's garage for the past year SORN. So a quick drama free MOT (new front discs and pads all round and 1 new brake caliper) and tax she's on the road!

She's a totally different car to the SLK (obviously) but to my mind is more of a proper sports car. She's had all the usual engine work done and is a delight to drive (less noisy with the hood down I've noticed)?? She's also in fabulous condition inside and out. So very pleased and having fun getting to know her!

Looking forward to catching an event.

Gary

ClaraW

Re: SLK out MGF in!

Post by ClaraW » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:33 pm

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the wonderful word of the MG. I am sure you will not regret your choice of purchase - as you have seen you get a lot of car for your money.

In the South Wales area we have a small gathering of MGF enthusiasts- our next meet is a day out at Castle Coombe on the 14th September please feel free to come along and join us. Full details are found on the South Wales Area posts, we haven't agreed a meet time/place yet but feel free to add your name if you are interested as there is a limited number of free tickets.

Hope to see you out and about very soon.

Clara

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Nice one - folding the roof down adds more insulation over the engine so reduces the engine noise in the cabin.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi and welcome to the MGF Register Forum.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

LemonCello

Post by LemonCello » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:42 am

talkingcars wrote:Nice one - folding the roof down adds more insulation over the engine so reduces the engine noise in the cabin.
That makes absolute sense now I think about it :thumbsu: I was thinking more about wind noise though, and the roof seems to fit perfectly?

Stan_B
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: tf 115

Post by Stan_B » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:58 am

I think for MB sports =BHP, derestricted Autobahns and all that. Here its more about cars devoled to be delight on the B roads around Abingdon or in this case Longbridge. I know which wrks for me visiting the petrol pumps is a lot less painful as well.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:00 pm

Welcome aboard Gary! Now really looking forward to seeing the pictures of the car! :D

Great history with the car - I'd suggest putting together a history log for her :D

MaddAussie
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF160

Post by MaddAussie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:32 pm

Welcome to the big smiles club!

Might be an idea to look at the header rail clips to see if they need adjusting, when I got mine I had loads of noise a couple of turns to the adjusters under the clips and bingo hardly any noise.
TF160 - Bilstiens, Mike Satur 4-2-1, Sports Cat, Quad Daytona, Z and F Tuning Phase 2 Remap showing 177Bhp @ Janspeed RR day and a Big Grin :D (oh and a glass rear screen and bits of shiny stuff) 85th suspension bits to fit!

LemonCello

Post by LemonCello » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:10 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Welcome aboard Gary! Now really looking forward to seeing the pictures of the car! :D

Great history with the car - I'd suggest putting together a history log for her :D
Thank you Rob, I'll get some pics up soonest and great idea re the history log!

LemonCello

Post by LemonCello » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:12 pm

MaddAussie wrote:Welcome to the big smiles club!

Might be an idea to look at the header rail clips to see if they need adjusting, when I got mine I had loads of noise a couple of turns to the adjusters under the clips and bingo hardly any noise.

Thanks for the welcome Oz. I'll try adjusting the rail clips as you describe and cheers for the tip. And yeah, the F does make me smile!!!

LemonCello

Post by LemonCello » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:17 pm

Early last Bank holiday Monday morning I jumped in the F and drove to the Story Arms top down. Lovely drive through stunning scenery and a bacon and egg roll to boot! Had two people come over and comment on how good the car looks! Fantastic drive back too, the F really loves the twisty stuff!! 8-)