MG TF Newbie

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

Fenton
MGF Register Region: South East

MG TF Newbie

Post by Fenton » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi all,
just about to get myself a TF. Have a few in mind, will likely be a 135 but if a 160 can be found at the same price, I'll be happy.

Used to have an Elise so know the K-Series well (had mine tuned to 180bhp), so that does not worry me too much, if the gasket goes,
well that sounds like a perfect excuse to get a new head/cams/Manifold :lol:
However first thing I will do when I get it is get it pressure tested, have all the fluids changed and the engine flushed and get a decent
panel filter.

Anything else I should look out for however, other than rust around the lights, sills, indicators, wheel arches,
I'm fairly mechanically minded (had to be as I also used to have a TR7 with a Rover V8).

Unfortunately I came across the MG Centre yesturday, soooo much bling on offer, especially all that leather, mmmmmmmm

mimo
MGF Register Region: East Midlands

Re: MG TF Newbie

Post by mimo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:35 pm

condition of the under floor pipes, subframes subframes subframes, sticky handbrake mechs,

happy hunting

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:57 pm

Date of last cam belt change (4 years or 48,000 miles). if it needs doing change the water pump and cam belt tensioner while you're there. Not many rust issues on the TF, check the solid subframe mounts, four same tyres known brand.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Fenton

Post by Fenton » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:06 pm

Any tips and tricks to lighten the car, usually the cheapest way to better performance.

Fenton

Post by Fenton » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Car finally purchased.
2003 MGTF 160 in Trophy Blue. 57000 miles on the clock,
Cambelt and head gasket changed 1800 miles ago

Goes like stink.
The only thing that lets it down are the half leather seats. The leather is fine,
but what is that horrid fabric and plastic bit inbetween

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:05 pm

The "horrid" fabric is alcantara. Get a local automotive trimmer to recover your seats with leather, if that's what you want. It's much cheaper than buying "new" seats which will be second-hand at least.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Fenton

Post by Fenton » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:24 pm

No it's not alcantera. It's like little bubbles of rubber stitched onto fabric.

ColinP
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160 Solar Red

Post by ColinP » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:32 pm

Maybe Black Daytona, trim code PVE?
I'm not a fan of it either, it's still fitted in mine though :?

Fenton

Post by Fenton » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:59 am

Well I've lived with the TF for a week now.
New Radio fitted, DAB, Bluetooth, USB, etc,etc
Trim on A-Pillar was surprisingly easy to remove to hide the aerial cable (screen mounted) and the Microphone cable (mounted to sun visor that I can't use anyway)

SRS light came on for one day then disappeared, need to investigate if it happens again.

Cracking drive, not quite as point and shoot as my old Elise but close.
Could do with a more sporty exhaust note though.

Next thing to do. Find some USB female connectors to mount where the spare buttons are (currently USB cables are dangling in the passenger foot well.
Then bling up the interior with some chrome