A newbie post :)

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

Phil Brook
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MGF

A newbie post :)

Post by Phil Brook » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:19 am

Good morning fellow MG effers... I bought my first MGF yesterday and feel I will be a frequent visitor to this site :)
Having bought a cheep (dare I say it) banger, I am filled with trepidation and I even imagine I can smell hot coolant every where. The car has low mileage, backed up by MOT's and the body work / subframes seem to be rust free.. Although it has been resprayed at some time and there is a lot of black schutz underneath making it hard to be really sure.
The receipts show new head gasket was fitted a few years ago and it has been regularly serviced. I drove it 130 miles home and it ran lovely, the water temp stayed just below half way and the oil temp sat quite low on the dot between the 60 and 120 mark... until I was about 3 miles from home. The water temp just nudged up slightly above the half way and I detected the smell of coolant. Luckily I had the roof down and glancing over my shoulder I could see steam pouring out of the boot lid. I stopped the engine and coasted to a handily placed car park.
The expansion tank was boiling away and there was coolant every where. I took a walk into town, and like a tramp started rummaging in bins for an old drinks bottle (It' posh down here, people use the bins) and I'd already spied a water butt that I could raid. So, engine cooled down and water topped up I carefully drove the last 3 miles home.
Investigations have started.. There is no oil in the water and no water in the oil. There doesn't appear to be any other leaks. I am however able to blow straight through the Expansion tank cap so am assuming that is the culprit. I really hope so, I will pick up a new cap this morning a take it for a run.
My confidence came back after reading some of the posts on this site and I was also encouraged to read a thread about difficulty in selecting reverse.. yes I have this problem as well.
I am looking forward to picking the collective brain and maybe meeting some of you in the Dorset area.
Cheers for now
Phil

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Re: A newbie post :)

Post by Helsbyman » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:31 am

Good luck with your new buy hope you have many a happy hour underneath it HA HA
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:52 pm

Make sure you use a proper pressure cap, so many times it is the culprit. Change it every year too.

Have fun :thumbsu:
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:16 pm

Hello and welcome to the MGF Register forum. Hope to meet you and your car soon. Whereabouts are you in Somerset or Dorset?
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

goody33
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 95 1.8 MPI in BRG

Post by goody33 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:19 am

Hi and welcome :thumbsu:
1995 MGF 1.8mpi in British Racing Green 000258

Phil Brook

Post by Phil Brook » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:49 pm

Thanks for the welcome :) I am in Poole, Dorset. Where abouts do you guys meet up? Not sure if Somerset & Dorset or the Hampshire meets are nearest.
With regards to the cap, I picked one up from South Coast MG Rover, I put quite a few miles on it yesterday and all seemed good.. few! A low level alarm is high on my wish list :)

nigelandjo

Post by nigelandjo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:06 pm

Phil, sorry missed your question about where we meet. There's a monthly meet at The True Lovers Knot in Tarrant Keynston on the 2nd Wednesday of the month. At the Somerset end of the region, we've now changed to the 3rd Sunday of the month for the winter months when we will have a run followed by lunch. Our March run will be heading into Dorset with lunch at The True Lovers Knot. You're welcome of course to join any runs/meets.

Nigel
Nigel May
members@mgfregister.org

Phil Brook

Post by Phil Brook » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:37 am

Thanks Nigel.. I'll be at the True Lovers Knot for the November meet.
Cheers Phil

nigelandjo

Post by nigelandjo » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:46 am

Phil Brook wrote:Thanks Nigel.. I'll be at the True Lovers Knot for the November meet.
Cheers Phil

Mark and the guys will make you very welcome.
Nigel May
members@mgfregister.org