Malta

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

joe-mg
MGF Register Region: Europe

Malta

Post by joe-mg » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:56 am

Hello, new member from Malta, MGF 18i 2001 with only 21000 miles,
I have just fitted suplex suspension kit and I happy with the ride just need some final ride height setting.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Malta

Post by nigelandjo » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:29 pm

Hello & welcome.
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:49 pm

Hi and welcome to you over in Malta :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

radddogg
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by radddogg » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:52 pm

Welcome

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:04 pm

Hi and welcome

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

ExSignals
Model of Car: 2001 Freestyle

Post by ExSignals » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:18 am

Hi Joe-MG. I'm in Cyprus and have just finished the Suplex conversion. I'm ready to adjust the ride height, but I'm confused by the number of variables; MG Rover say 368mm front, 363mm rear. But I guess that's based on the Rover tyre recommendation of 215/40 tyres all round, correctly inflated. I've got 205/45 R16 tyres fitted all round - how will that effect the final ride height, and how did you approach it? Would appreciate your thoughts. Dave. Bog standard 2001 MGF

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:58 pm

Best to post a new thread in technical.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

John SS
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by John SS » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:35 pm

ExSignals wrote:Hi Joe-MG. I'm in Cyprus and have just finished the Suplex conversion. I'm ready to adjust the ride height, but I'm confused by the number of variables; MG Rover say 368mm front, 363mm rear. But I guess that's based on the Rover tyre recommendation of 215/40 tyres all round, correctly inflated. I've got 205/45 R16 tyres fitted all round - how will that effect the final ride height, and how did you approach it? Would appreciate your thoughts. Dave. Bog standard 2001 MGF
By my calculations 205/45 are 12mm greater in diameter than 215/40. So 6mm Impact assuming you are measuring from wheel centre to wheel arch.

Kasper
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:19 am

well, tyre size is no part of the discussion for the solution of the problem: you have to measure the distance between the lower end of the wheel arch and the centre of the wheel. Regardless you are driving 15" larger rims, with whatever size of tyre, this distance stays the same.

For the front 368+/- 10mm at 20 deg C is stated with NO measurement for the rear. However the given distance of 363 could be OK. It depends to your personal preferences (with your own focus on car handling or the visual aspect)

BTW 368mm is what we call: Land Rover 4x4 driving ;) about 20-30 mm less looks lots better. but that is a different story better discussed in the technical section.
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

ExSignals

Post by ExSignals » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:25 pm

Thanks for the replies, it's all sorted to the approved ride height. As you say, 368mm does look high (Landrover or pickup truck)!! But Cyprus roads are terrible with lots of speed humps so I'll live with it. Meanwhile I'm thinking of a big post with my experience of a DIY Suplex installation, hopefully clearing up some issues not well covered in the supplied instructions

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:24 am

ExSignals wrote:Meanwhile I'm thinking of a big post with my experience of a DIY Suplex installation, hopefully clearing up some issues not well covered in the supplied instructions
That would be really welcome! I expect to be fitting the Suplex kit later in the year, when the weather gets a good deal warmer. A good idea of what I'll be needing to do would be very helpful.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

ExSignals

Post by ExSignals » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Here goes with my DIY Suplex Installation experiences. Hope it helps:

Can I share with you my experience with a DIY Suplex installation, which hopefully you may find useful:
The first wheel to be removed had one wheel nut (reamed on far too tight by some clown at a local tyre dealer). I destroyed 2 sockets and a wheel brace trying to get it off. I ended up rounding the nut and had to drill it out, also destroying the stud and slight damage to the alloy rim. 1 new stud from Rimmer bros.
10. There is not much room to remove the hydragas displacer. If the suspension is gently levered downwards with a crowbar or a stout screwdriver, removal is easy.
11. It’s unclear whether to “retain” ie. refit the the spacer washer. Refer to step 42.
12. It is almost impossible to install the Suplex displacer (front or rear) onto the knuckle piston with the adjuster wound out to 4mm. Wind it almost fully in to the displacer, leaving just enough of the adjustment hex nut to get a spanner on. Then wind it back out to 4mm after the Suplex displacer is in place.
15. Fit two washers (supplied) one on either side of the new damper lower bush when sliding the damper onto the damper bolt. (There is no mention of the purpose of the washers supplied in the text). Likewise the other 3 dampers.
21. I could not lift the rear displacer up and off the knuckle piston. I prised the knuckle with piston up and out of the upper suspension arm. It promptly fell out of the displacer which was then easily removed. (The supplied procedure suggests gently levering the piston into the displacer. It’s not possible to lever the piston, only the whole knuckle and piston. This must be done gently as the lower knuckle washer is plastic and breaks easily). The knuckle is pushed back into place when the displacer is in place.
22. See 12.
24. Re-connecting the anti-roll bar required the suspension to be jacked up to a manageable height – the bar was impossible to re-connect otherwise as it’s very stiff.
33-35. I found that it’s not necessary to move the ECU or disconnect any of the connectors or relays. With the fuel line (see 37) and it’s support bracket out of the way, there’s plenty of room to access the damper top nut, but see 36 below.
36. I’ve got a K&N air filter fitted which had no impact on access to the damper or the hydragas displacer. So I avoided all the hassle outlined in step 36. I also found the displacer cover top right nut/bolt impossible to access from either the wheel-arch or from above. The back-nut is accessible from under the car (you may need a helper with small hands – my partner managed it!! But it is fiddly.
42. Fine tuning. It would be useful if the instructions told you which direction of turning the hex adjuster raises or lowers the ride height. I assumed the initial 18 turns raised the ride height; The initial 18 turns (ACW – see 13) appears to raise the ride height, so obviously CW to lower.

General: My standard 2001 F is now 16 years old. As expected, the main problem was shifting seized, rusted nuts & bolts. Some had to be sawn off and replaced. One lower hydragas captive screw refused to budge and had to be drilled out & re-tapped. I got a shock when I saw the condition of the other suspension components and bushes. But mission accomplished and I’m delighted with the ride. Plenty more to do 

ExSignals

Post by ExSignals » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:20 pm

BTW, the numbered comments above refer to the Suplex supplied instructions which can also be downloaded from the Rimmer Bros website :)

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:27 pm

That's brilliant. Thank you so much for your speedy reply. I should be able to tackle the job with some degree of confidence now.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

stux99
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF/TF Steppy/MGGS/3

Post by stux99 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:40 pm

Malta :-) our favourite destination. Visiting again this year in October