New MGF owner North London

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

Heironymous
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Mk 2

New MGF owner North London

Post by Heironymous » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:37 pm

To be perfectly honest I have just become an MGF owner completely by accident. I have been looking for something sporty to work on as a project for some time now and was thinking of a Hyundai Coupe maybe a BMW 3 series coupe (what was I thinking, but I was on a budget). My wife then got me to widen my search to include any make for the price and lo and behold up comes a 2001 MGF 1.8 in Solar red for £799. "That's it" she cried, "I love it, if you don't buy it I will never talk to you again!". Tempting though that was I had to admit she had a point. I had seen a few MGF's before ,but thought that they where a bit of an MG afterthought. But then I did some research and began to see that with a bit of luck I could have the bargain of a lifetime. So last week I made the trek up to a second hand car lot outside of Luton to have a look. Would it be a disappointing wreck or an undiscovered classic? Well it won't surprise you that I fell in love instantly. It was a bit grubby, the drivers electric window and the passenger side electric door mirror don't work, I have them on order already and the rear window was fogged and cracked, getting a glass replacement for that. But it started on the first turn of the key and oh that engine, sounded amazing, drives like a dream and I had to have it. The roof was sound so down that came. After a bit of haggling where I pointed out the flaws in the car I eventually handed over £750 and drove away on the spot before he could change his mind. Drove all the way back to London with the top down in a state of euphoria. As you may have surmised I have fallen completely in love with this car. Spent the weekend cleaning and polishing. OK, with a bit of posing for the neighbours thrown in.
So to summarise, best car I have ever owned, best decision I (or the wife) ever made. Apart from marrying the wife obviously.
Attachments
20160911_092117[1].jpg
20160911_185738[1].jpg
Heironymous
MG: you'll never be rich, but you'll always be happy :thumbsu:
(Most of the time)

malcolm64
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGF1.8i

Re: New MGF owner North London

Post by malcolm64 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:54 pm

Welcome to the forum....nice looking car, enjoy [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:36 pm

Hello and welcome ~ looks like a bargain.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

radddogg
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by radddogg » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:19 am

Welcome. What a lovely looking example.

I am a fairly recent new owner too and I'm like you with mine. Every time I get out of it I always look back and think to myself "I love that car" or "what a car".

Yes they have their flaws but they are more than outweighed by the feeling they give you.

Have a good look around the general and technical forums for common things to look out for and have a mooch around on Rob Bell's site http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com for a wealth of knowledge.