Another Newbie, Don't have an MGF but my kit car has lots in common!

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

sanzomat
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Another Newbie, Don't have an MGF but my kit car has lots in common!

Post by sanzomat » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi Everyone. I kind of do have a TF160 but more on that in a moment.
I've been snooping around on this and other MGF forums and have found useful posts over the last 18 months that have helped me with some repairs/modifications/upgrades to my kit car which is a GTM Spyder:
For those that don't know the Spyder is a kit that uses a combination of Metro/MGF mechanicals and a GRP monocoque chassis. I currently have a VVC143 engine and PG1 gearbox that came out of an MGF, together with the ECU/5AS/engine loom and I also have the MGF cable gearchange mechanism. I got into track days in 2015, did a few more last year and have a couple booked for this year already. I'm actually on my second VVC engine as the first one I installed wrecked its big ends at Castle Combe last April. It may have been due to the engine being an unknown ebay purchase but could also have been oil surge so when I bought another second hand engine I fitted a sump baffle. I have to say I love the VVC engine and its willingness to rev. It also makes a great sound up around the 7k mark.
Anyway I've been toying with the idea of getting a 160 engine and when I discovered the TF160 engine has a built in oil cooler I decided thats what I need as my oil get very hot on track days. The engines seem to fetch silly money and often without any ancillaries and as I currently have the mems2 143 I'd need various other bits for the swap including ECU, engine loom, immobilser etc. I then found a whole 2002 TF160 for sale as an MOT failure so I've bought it. As such I guess I do qualify as being an MGF/TF owner ;). Over the next few months I'll be stripping it down to harvest all the bits I want/need, including the tasty AP 4 pot front brakes. There will be a lot of other bits that I won't need and I intend to sell them through ebay/gumtree or suchlike. It struck me that there may be some bits and pieces that people on this forum might need but I wouldn't think of listing so rather than send them to the scrappy with whatever I have left over I thought I'd join and offer. So are there any obscure bits that people might want? Or the not so obscure to save me from listing them? Its a 2002 TF160 in Tahiti blue, full leather interior, blue mohair hood. I'm not looking to make any profit but I'd like to cover my costs and it would be great if other enthusiasts can benefit too.

hammond
Model of Car: VVC Freestyle

Re: Another Newbie, Don't have an MGF but my kit car has lots in common!

Post by hammond » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:22 pm

Good luck with the project and great idea by joining here and offering bits up.
Don't suppose your donor car has chrome door handles? The actual bit that moves I'm after not the surrounds.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:41 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

sanzomat

Post by sanzomat » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:42 pm

hammond wrote:chrome door handles?
Inside or outside? The outside ones are body coloured. The interior ones are chrome, but I guess they all are?

hammond
Model of Car: VVC Freestyle

Post by hammond » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:27 pm

sanzomat wrote:
hammond wrote:chrome door handles?
Inside or outside? The outside ones are body coloured. The interior ones are chrome, but I guess they all are?
Sorry I meant to say outside and yes they are body coloured but some models came with chrome levers. I want just the chrome lever to replace my body coloured lever.

Fourbears
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by Fourbears » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi and welcome. Do you have a tonneau cover by any chance?

sanzomat

Post by sanzomat » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Fourbears wrote:Hi and welcome. Do you have a tonneau cover by any chance?
I presume you mean the cover thingy for the hood whilst folded. In which case, yes I do.

sanzomat

Post by sanzomat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:32 am

The tonneau has now sold - flew off ebay so must have charged too little! Have sold enough to recoup half what I paid for the whole car now and that's only from interior items! Interestingly, watching what has sold, it looks like F bits fetch higher values than TF bits. Maybe more F owners around needing bits or TF's being younger generally don't need the bits yet??