ACTUAL new owner saying hello!

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

crofty1984
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

ACTUAL new owner saying hello!

Post by crofty1984 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:50 pm

Hello all,

Following on from my other thread - I now own a beautiful* MGTF as of Monday night. It's a 2004 TF 135 with 106k on the clock, a couple of little jobs to do and improvements to make, but overall I'm very happy. I don't think I stopped smiling on the whole drive back. What a great little car! Pulls really well, handles nicely, it's nice to sit in and has plenty of character. Such a lovely change from my anemic HRV company car. It's had a lot of the suspension sorted before I got it, a new headgasket a couple of years ago and a new exhaust.
Cosmetically it could do with some work, a bit of rust treatment and bits and bobs, but it cost me £500 so what can you expect?

First job - new throttle cable. It's really notchy at low openings which is pretty common apparently, so that's what I'm doing first.

Obviously I've bought a new stereo with DAB and bluetooth. I was only after Bluetooth really, but this was £40, came with the aerial and I do love my Absolute Radio.

New mats. The carpet is oddly squishy. Not wet, not squelchy, just feels like there's a duvet underneath it. Probably just fitted badly. Thought a normal car mat would be good anyway in terms of protection and in this case feeling abit normal under the heel.

New cambelt/waterpump service has been booked. I don't mind doing little bits and bobs, but I have enough projects.

Touch up the one or two little spots of rust. It'll not look great as silver's hard to match (I'll get the proper shade from Rimmer Bros), but I'll put a load of rust killer and wot not on it to stop the spread. I should be able to do a passable job though.

New gearbox oil - toying with the idea of havaing a local mechanic do it, I don't have a drive and I'm not sure I want to arse about under the car in the road. I'm having trouble getting 2nd gear and apparently that's a symptom. If that doesn't work it's new rose joints.

I've also bought a new alternator belt, it was a bit squealy when I picked it up. It's stopped now, but it can't hurt to put another one on now I've already bought it.

Other jobs to do: Central locking motor is making a wierd buzzing off the key. Not too fussed, I'm happy to lock with the key for now.

Roof strap - at the moment there's a "knack" to getting the roof fully down, you can get a strap to put a little pressure on the right bar at the right place to stop that, it's only a tenner I think.

BRAKES! Sooner rather than later I'm going to improve the brakes. 280mm front disc conversion, decent pads all round and a clamp on the servo to keep it more solidly mounted to the car

Tart the seat up. It's got a little tear on the driver's bolster.

*It's beautiful in the same way that I am beautiful - best seen in the dark and from a distance.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: ACTUAL new owner saying hello!

Post by nigelandjo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:15 pm

Hello and welcome to the MGF Register Forum. Looks good :)
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:54 am

Welcome to the forum :thumbsu:
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:34 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Changing the gearbox oil isn't difficult, I've done it in the road in 35 minutes.

When I was quite new with the F I rushed out and bought the roof strap, several years later it has stretched and no longer works - I open the hood by lifting the second rail before flipping it over. Lubricating the joints helps too.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com