Hi.

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

MG Steve
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Hi.

Post by MG Steve » Fri May 24, 2019 6:54 pm

Hi. I'm a new member here. My wife and I have an MGF each at the moment but we will sell one shortly as I have other cars I drive and the other F just isn't used much.
A couple of years ago I came across a very presentable 60k miles 98 F that had a stuck clutch arm and no clutch hydraulics which only took an hour to fix. It has all the extras that an Abingdon has, including the ABS and the correct 16" wheels but it doesn't have the tan coloured soft-top and is HAM green and not BRG, but was a very nice catch for £150 with immaculate tan leather seats.
I'm hoping to upgrade the brakes when I find out what I can buy and what fits what but it does go quite well. Just doesn't stop! Also collected a hardtop the other day which needs painting the correct colour and a new headlining and it will be all good.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Hi.

Post by nigelandjo » Fri May 24, 2019 9:09 pm

Hello and welcome to the MGF Register forum.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Barbour
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 2002 TF 135 LEF PUU

Post by Barbour » Fri May 24, 2019 9:58 pm

Welcome Steve!

Drop some pics when you get around to it.
Cheers!

Safety fast, S3XY, Born from jets...

Xpower grey 2002 MG-TF 135 SP CP
Steel grey 2003 Ford Mondeo Estate Centennial
Blue 2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Anthracite 1998 MG-F 1.8 Mpi (sold)
Silver 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate (sold)

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat May 25, 2019 10:30 am

Hi and welcome to the forum

What other cars do you have?

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Sun May 26, 2019 12:21 am

Hi, and Welcome to the Forum.

As well as up-grading the brakes, it's also worthwhile fitting the later air scoop on the N/S scuttle and then fitting a Servo steady bracket. This will improve the braking as it stops the bulkhead flexing when you apply the brakes. MGFnTFBITZ have them in stock and their service is excellent.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

Colin h

Post by Colin h » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:05 pm

Hi there. I've just joined the register this evn after perusing the register online many times over the past two months so thought it about time I joined. Not sure this will get any response and whom might view it but here goes. I bought a 2002 mg tf last Sept (2020) and have since been working on it as a winter project with a view to hopefully driving it this spring. I have completed most of the jobs that I had set out to do including replacing the head gasket, installing the strenghtened oil rail and also fitting shims under the liners to bring them up to. 005 above the block face. I digress, the main reason I am posting is to ask about the apparent problem with the sticking clutch release arm. Mine at the moment appears to be ok but I am keen not to let it become a problem. I have searched the internet with regards a possible remedy to this issue but without any result with reference the the mg t and tf. My suggestion for comment is whether anyone has considered drilling an access hole in the clutch housing to enable the shaft to be lubricated. It would appear that it is something that has been done to other makes for similar reasons. Anyway wont ramble on just in case no one sees this. Opinions, pro and cons would be welcome👍

Steve White
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF160, ZT260

Post by Steve White » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:32 am

Colin, firstly welcome to the MGF Register.

With regards to the clutch release arm, for a number of years several suppliers have been offering an arm with a grease nipple in the end that allows it to be lubricated, not sure how your searches managed to miss them.

An examples here:-
https://www.mikesatur.co.uk/-MGF-and-MGTF-Clutch-lever-
http://mgmanialtd.com/index.php?id_prod ... er=product

Or if you want to go the whole hog, you can even get them in stainless:
https://www.mikesatur.co.uk/-MGF-and-MG ... utch-lever

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:37 pm

Hi Colin, and welcome to the forum

It's best to post a new thread on each subject in the technical section if a search doesn't turn up the answers you need.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Colin h

Post by Colin h » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:46 am

Only just found these replies so thanks to you both. In answer to your suggestion about the arm with a grease nipple then yes I am aware of there availability but the whole point of my suggestion is that it wouldnt require the removal of the gearbox to remedy the potential problem. I am not keen to go to the trouble of doing all that when at present there doesn't seem to be a problem but I am keen never to let it get to that stage hence the provision of an access hole, easy to do and doesn't cost anything. I'm surprised that no one seems to have done it. If I go ahead with the plan then I will try and post pictures etc. Thanks again, Colin h